Hey Worldtalker! I did what you suggested and...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got that camera. Here are the first pics from it. All in my neighborhood. DSCN0017.JPG DSCN0015.JPG DSCN0014.JPG

They found something tasty on the side of the road. There were 5 all together. These three, one more mature one on the deer and a juvenile.

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The more you use that thing the more you're gonna like it. Every once in a while you'll get a shot with perfect lighting conditions that shows what that camera can do. I wonder how that eagles beak got that way.

Wear it around your neck as uniform of the day.:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. No idea about the beak. All were facing the other direction. I'm in the middle of a busy state road, at a dead stop, taking the pic out of the window. I wanted them to look at me so I just let out one whistle and it turned its head!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome photos, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. I love eagle pictures.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a child, about the time the wheel was invented, we never ever saw an eagle. Now, they play on the side of the road...everywhere.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN0025.JPG DSCN0018.JPG

in the snow today.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The more you use that thing the more you're gonna like it. Every once in a while you'll get a shot with perfect lighting conditions that shows what that camera can do. I wonder how that eagles beak got that way.

Wear it around your neck as uniform of the day.:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris

The Bald Eagle may have gotten the damaged and split upper portion of it's beak in a fight with another bird of prey or a collision with a rock when swooping down on it's prey. In any case, the DNR (State Wildlife Agency) or U.S. Fish & Wildlife needs to be notified and human intervention taken to repair the Eagle's beak, otherwise it's beak will likely get worse and infection may set in and the Eagle will likely die. There has a been lot of progress and success in being able to help Eagles, Owls, Hawks and other birds that have suffered such beak damage.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huntsman53, first, FIND the eagle. Then they can CATCH the eagle.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Smokie , Lucky that Haliaeetus Leucocephalis is not as large or as audacius as Aquilia Audax you may end up as a cat snack. TP

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Huntsman53, first, FIND the eagle. Then they can CATCH the eagle.

If you can provide them with the area where the Bald Eagle or Eagles usually hangout, then they will do the rest. They will likely bait the Bald Eagle in and trap it, sedate it and take it where the injury or injuries can be addressed. It may mean that the Bald Eagle will have to be confined to an Aviary where it can fly somewhat free but be fed food that it can eat to survive. They will do everything possible to help it in hopes that it will not have to be euthanized because they never want to euthanize such a beautiful bird of prey and our national symbol.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can provide them with the area where the Bald Eagle or Eagles usually hangout, then they will do the rest. They will likely bait the Bald Eagle in and trap it, sedate it and take it where the injury or injuries can be addressed. It may mean that the Bald Eagle will have to be confined to an Aviary where it can fly somewhat free but be fed food that it can eat to survive. They will do everything possible to help it in hopes that it will not have to be euthanized because they never want to euthanize such a beautiful bird of prey and our national symbol.

Sounds expensive. "They"?

Who pays the bill?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW I called the DNR, they showed no interest in following up as the eagle is flying around.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
BTW I called the DNR, they showed no interest in following up as the eagle is flying around.

Then the next call should be to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. The problem with too many of the State's DNR Agencies is that many of their employees do not want to do anything that will cost the agency more money and risk them not getting a paycheck.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Story time-

One day I found a screech owl stuck in the grill of my truck, deceased. I knew that owls are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, and I knew that owl carcasses can be hard to come by. This owl was probably about 90% intact, so I figured someone wanted the carcass. It's not like you can just shoot an owl for research purposes. I tried calling the local Humane Society(not to be confused with the crooks at Humane Society of the US), the Department of natural resources, several other government agencies looking for leads. No help.

Finally, I got ahold of a gentleman with a state university. He was about 75 miles away and showed up at my truck in about an hour and fifteen munites complete with a license to accept the carcass. The guy must of sped his azz off!

I pried open the grill on my truck to get the owl's head out from between the louvres and he took possession. It was a bad day for one owl, a good day for those who research them and hopefully for screech owls in general.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found great horned owl injured on the side of the road once years ago. My daughters corralled the critter, and through the help of our vet's drove the thing to a local licensed wildlife rehabilitator. It had been hit on the head by a car. One eye was way different than the other. They spent some serious $$$ on it, with some of the drugs meant for humans and expensive. Well, it lived and they set it free a few months later. I had a picture taken with my then 18 year old daughter with the owl. She showed it a young man who lived in Montreal over the internet. They have been married 17 years now.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Bald Eagle may have gotten the damaged and split upper portion of it's beak in a fight with another bird of prey or a collision with a rock when swooping down on it's prey. In any case, the DNR (State Wildlife Agency) or U.S. Fish & Wildlife needs to be notified and human intervention taken to repair the Eagle's beak, otherwise it's beak will likely get worse and infection may set in and the Eagle will likely die. There has a been lot of progress and success in being able to help Eagles, Owls, Hawks and other birds that have suffered such beak damage.

Natural selection. If the bird survives it might well breed and pass on it's good genes. If it doesn't survive it won't be passing on the genes of an eagle that couldn't keep it's beak intact.

Nature can't be "fixed" but it sure can be messed up by do gooders and know nothings. Learn to let nature be natural.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread