Need some help identifying 1890's photos please

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
I need some help to identify the setting/Location in these photos please. They were mixed in with a box of historical documents I was given, but have no provenance and no relation to any of the documents that I can determine so far. There are no photographer/studio markings on 'em, or dates, but judging by the size and mount (7x10 heavy cardstock) they are what's called Imperial Mount Cabinet Cards and date to the 1890's. The only possible identifying marks is "West Virginia" written by hand on the back of one.

At first glance I thought Plantation, then an Academy/School, then I was jest stumped (by the dog in particular, ha). And I jest noticed right as I was getting ready ta post them, in pic #2, far left side, there is a disembodied hat floating between the two women. :o

I also can't get over the niggling feelin' I recognize the Headmaster/older fella in these but jest can't place him. Politician? Civil War Officer?

Anyway, would appreciate any help y'all can give me on 'em. I realize they are in rough shape and not much there ta go on, but thought one of y'all may recognize the place maybe. Click tha pics fer a larger version and full resolution.

Thanks fer lookin'. :icon_thumright:

unknown 1.jpg

Unknown 2.jpg

Unknown 3.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my
Guess a Family Reunion,
But could even be a Church Picnic.

The Little girl Lost something Or saw a Bug :laughing9:

000aaa.jpg

Not sure If that's a Sheep Behind her or What the Woman has her Hand on

000bbb.jpg

But I'd swear that's a Pic of a Psycho Zippy the Pinhead Under her Hand :tongue3:

000ccc.jpg

I see someone was mad or jealous

000hhh.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Lmao, check out tha two sitting to the little girls right ( with tha dog, aka Psycho Zippy the Pinhead between 'em). Looks like one is kicking the other in tha back and pissin her off. :laughing7:

At least I think that's a dog. It's in one of tha other pics too, sitting at a woman's feet.

Didja catch the hat floatin' in the air yet? :o

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinkin' it might be Arlington House, but that would have ta make the pic pre Civil War. :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
took awhile to Find the Hat.
at first I thought she was holing it up, But I think the boy behind has it by the Rim

000hat.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that almost looks like a Fattie in the Kids Hand.
But Must be a Cigar.

Wrong Shape for a Pen I think

ooocig.jpg

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought so too at first, but then it also looks like he has his hands behind his back. You may be right, only explanation fer it.

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
The more I look at it, the more it looks like Arlington House.

Arlington House 1860.png

Anyone ever see a pic of Robert E. Lee without tha beard??

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Can you make out anything on the stone above the portal? All I can see is it MIGHT be scroll work. Good luck.

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, there is some kind of scroll work there, but the original is so faint I haven't been able ta make it out. Haven't got a clue how ta clean it up/make it clearer. Any ideas? :dontknow:

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There seems to be a faint marking in pic one left to the man on the left , under the window. migth be a name.

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
There seems to be a faint marking in pic one left to the man on the left , under the window. migth be a name.

Ye got better eyes than I got, I can't make anything out there. ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread