Am I being watched or just paranoid ?

10pan

Nov 21, 2007
North GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer, GP Ext. , CTX 3030, Whites Spectrum XLT, DFX , Discovery TF 900, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently I started hunting an area I believe contains several pots of buried gold. The area is about 2 square miles and 5 locations are marked as having "something" there. The first spot I try is across the river so I decide that one can wait till summer. At the next spot I find a large rock turtle looking upstream toward the next location. I spend a few days searching around the turtle but want to go to the next spot as I feel it has the best chance of being gold. In the next day or so I get a call from a man that said he is interested in buying a piece of equipment I have for sale so we meet. Instead of asking about the equipment , he wants to know if I ever do any gold mining or treasure hunting. I said sometimes and then he proceeds to tell me that when he was a boy his grandfather hunted for gold at a very specific location. He ask if I knew where that was and I said I did. He said well there is nothing there or his grandfather would have found it. He then left without even asking the price of the equipment I had for sale. The kicker is the location his grandfather dug was the exact location I was going to next. I don't much believe in coincidence and now I feel like I am being watched.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Recently I started hunting an area I believe contains several pots of buried gold. The area is about 2 square miles and 5 locations are marked as having "something" there. The first spot I try is across the river so I decide that one can wait till summer. At the next spot I find a large rock turtle looking upstream toward the next location. I spend a few days searching around the turtle but want to go to the next spot as I feel it has the best chance of being gold. In the next day or so I get a call from a man that said he is interested in buying a piece of equipment I have for sale so we meet. Instead of asking about the equipment , he wants to know if I ever do any gold mining or treasure hunting. I said sometimes and then he proceeds to tell me that when he was a boy his grandfather hunted for gold at a very specific location. He ask if I knew where that was and I said I did. He said well there is nothing there or his grandfather would have found it. He then left without even asking the price of the equipment I had for sale. The kicker is the location his grandfather dug was the exact location I was going to next. I don't much believe in coincidence and now I feel like I am being watched.

Well, since you asked, I'd side with "paranoid".

And curious : how were these areas "marked" as having "something there" ? And what's with "turtles" ?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spanish turtles....

Huh ? He said "rock turtles". And talked about "searching around a turtle". And you're saying "Spanish turtles" . What's up with "turtles" ? Why not Bunnies ? Or Ponies ? frogs or kittens ? Why not Canadian or Chinese turtles ?

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Spanish "Treasure Signs"..Turtles, hearts, turkey tracks..etc...Hit up the Spanish or KGC forum on here some time...if nothing else it could waste your entire winter/spring...lol

OP
OP

10pan

Nov 21, 2007
North GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer, GP Ext. , CTX 3030, Whites Spectrum XLT, DFX , Discovery TF 900, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, since you asked, I'd side with "paranoid".

And curious : how were these areas "marked" as having "something there" ? And what's with "turtles" ?
Only one turtle so far and the "something there" was marked with a cross at four locations and what I believe to be a pot symbol at a fifth location.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Just cause you're paranoid don't mean they ain't after ya. Remember to find it one coin at a time. Good luck.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty obvious someone hit you up for info and let you know they are on to your searching around. Probably after the same thing.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh ? He said "rock turtles". And talked about "searching around a turtle". And you're saying "Spanish turtles" . What's up with "turtles" ? Why not Bunnies ? Or Ponies ? frogs or kittens ? Why not Canadian or Chinese turtles ?

You should check out the book called "Shadow of the Sentinel"

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go back to the area with a shovel, paper and pen. When you get to a semi clear area draw it on your paper and place a few "x" marks on the paper. Tack the paper to a tree in an obvious area then find those "X" spots on the ground but don't dig them, just clear the area like you're prepping to dig and then leave for a few days. If anyone is watching you they will come in and dig the spots after they see the map on the tree and you will know you are being watched

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All paranoid means is your paying attention. Yes seems some caches are watched. If folks even see a metal detector they think your after their gold they havent found yet lol.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Well no wonder I haven't found many gold coin caches. I was supposed to be detecting around Turtles, hearts, and X's. Silly me: I was detecting around bunny shapes, kitten shapes, and squares.

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
i guess heart and turtle rocks and rock carvings are out west usa i guess those ancient tribes all thought alike or maybe it was aliens ...the ones i seen are about a thousaand years old ...lets see 1492 ...1942 ....i guess everybody smokes the same plants

OP
OP

10pan

Nov 21, 2007
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well no wonder I haven't found many gold coin caches. I was supposed to be detecting around Turtles, hearts, and X's. Silly me: I was detecting around bunny shapes, kitten shapes, and squares.
A bunny can be a good place to search. Maybe your not as silly as you thought you were.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually...

Repeat... usually...

When I see turtles pointing "the way"...

I tend to either...

Quit detecting... or quit drinking.

Just me I guess. :P

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

That seems to be the case with many folks in California and why it is such a screwed up state.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe you have every right to be paranoid because it definitely sounds as if the man has been watching you and was fishing for information. You might want to pack some protection when you go to that location in the future because you never know what state of mind the gentleman is in and especially so if his grandfather searched for the treasure and he assumed the mantle and feels that the treasure belongs to him or his family.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
***ARC begins buying any kind of rock turtles and placing them strategically in his "honey spots" pointing in directions AWAY from spots***

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread