Abandoned Amusement Parks source

Edward Lopez

Nov 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Google and Google Images are still the best source but I found another source that I'm sure you all know about: YouTube. Here's a sample. Abandoned Amusement Park Oldest One In The World !! It was opened in 1930 and closed in 1966. Should be a lot of silver!

The young man found that he needed permission to enter the property but the owners were not home so he used a drone for his project. The area under the flying chairs should be the big payoff.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 54

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
there is a list on here, I think Jeff of PA had started the thread about 3 years ago or so, it was not intended to be a list but posters kept adding to it and so on.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't remember the name of it but a few years back there was a roller coaster enthusiast web site. Pretty amazing the knowledge the people had! If I recall, they had a listing with pics etc. of parks that were closed or expected to close. Dang can't remember the name......... Anyway do a little googling for enthusiast sites.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know about any lists.
But I do know that, that amusement park is NOT the oldest.
I'm not sure which is.
Boblo Island amusement park opened in 1898 and closed in 1993.
The amount of silver that we pulled out of there that winter, almost sunk our boat once. Lol!

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some years back I hunted an old amusement park that had closed in the mid-1970's. Was a complete jungle, almost no-where to swing a coil. The guy I was hunting with found a crusty, no-date indian. I found a handful of clad, every coin dated after the park had closed. Total cost of the outing was $120 in steroid shots to clear up the poison ivy infection I had picked up there.
:sunny:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... Total cost of the outing was $120 in steroid shots to clear up the poison ivy infection I had picked up there.
:sunny:

Yeah, but look at the bright side: You found a crusty no date IH worth .02c ! :occasion18:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found another good source for info on old parks. Please let us know if you ever get a chance to hunt it. Would be very interesting to see what comes out of the ground there. Good luck.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to hunt that place wowza

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a spot in Fresno Ca, that was called Zapp's park the whole area is covered by houses now and fill dirt.The only area that might give something up is a canal that runs through there.Close by there the city was redoing a road for the new hospital expansion and they found the old trolley tracks that ran back in the earliest days of Fresno.Around 1856.

OP
OP
E

Edward Lopez

Nov 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the early 1990s I traveled to Goshen, New York. After detecting is some local areas I went to the Goshen racetrack from 1838 and engaged the track's supervisor. I asked for and received permission to detect the track. It was clean. The supervisor told me about a nearby abandoned racetrack called Good Time Park and drew me a rough map of its location. I drove to the site and I was met with total overgrowth and it was a place that needed an early start in the day. I didn't return. But if you're not familiar with it, here's a blurb from Wikipedia and an aerial photo.

"A largely unmaintained field for the first century of its existence, the area that would become Good Time Park was originally called Fiddler's Green. At the beginning of the 19th century it, was a common meeting place for local races, training, and breeding. Use died out around 1820, and it was largely forgotten until 1899, when it was refurbished to be used to train trotters. Sports promoter and horse owner William H. Cane bought the land in 1926, named the new track Good Time Park, and began to hold races there. By 1927, it had become a Grand Circuit track, with a large stables and a 2,224-seat grandstand.[1]"

Good-time-park.jpg

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
defunct Parks used to have Info & Tons of Pics.
All Seem gone Now :(

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a nice place to hunt! :icon_thumleft:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
You found another good source for info on old parks. Please let us know if you ever get a chance to hunt it. Would be very interesting to see what comes out of the ground there. Good luck.

It was long ago, but if anyone is interested in seeing some of the finds that I found on the island, let me know.
It was a long time ago, but I have my favorites!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh and here's a killer tip for you Michigander's
They closed and are tearing down all the local horse racing tracks!
Believe me, if the ground wasn't frozen, I'd still be at Hazel Park Raceway..
Spring comes though.. Hope to see you there!
Or Northville Downs! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions