Is the Watch Obsolete? Do you still use one?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Watches? Ain’t nobody got time for that!

Personally I dislike the feel of jewelry on my delicate skin

Guess I should be a nudist

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
musk-big-watch.jpg

This is a great with if you have issues with vision. Downside you need to take it off to put your hand in your pocket.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1681113

This is a great with if you have issues with vision. Downside you need to take it off to put your hand in your pocket.

Dang, that thing is larger than my' size 21 Circa 1840-1850 Sterling Key Wind, Key Set Pocket Watch!! I hope you are not left-handed because that could cause some serious damage when wiping your butt.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I generally wear a wristwatch all the time except when I need to remove it during a bad flare up of my' Carpal Tunnel Syndrome problems. Currently wearing a Seiko Automatic and love it but am thinking about switching to the Seiko Solar I have but I will have to replace the band because the genuine leather strap band is a little too short for my wrists. I believe that the time of cheapy wristwatches is about done as most folks are going to higher end watches as a status symbol or to impress others. Many do not even wear a wristwatch unless they are out on the town or attending a function. I believe that we will see quite a few of the cheapy watch making companies go the way of the Dodo bird within the next 5 to 10 years.

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Watches are an old dude thing. Along the likes of:

Landline
Writing checks
Cable TV
VCR
Smelling like yesteryear

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worked in a machine shop for years and we weren't allowed to wear watches or jewelry. Never got in the habit of wearing one. Had to wear one when bow hunting. Game warden will give you a ticket if you have no watch since you would not know when legal hunting begins in the morning or ends in the evening. Crazy. Gary

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1550316689.471743.jpg

Wore a pocket watch for over 30 years, never liked anything on my wrists, now only wear when dressing up, no need with phone. Is a modern watch and no I did not dig the coin

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can look discreetly on a watch in a meeting, yet if you pull out the phone everyone knows you are bored or supposed to be someplace else.

I also know that there are "no phone" meetings going on w/ techies because its really highly confi.

Greets

Namxat

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm retired. I have my prospecting, metal detecting, bottle digging, and coin roll hunting. No time schedule, yet I put my watch on religiously every morning. Sometimes I find it upside down. Though I try, I can't seem to escape time. Everything I own has a clock on it. My truck, the computer,refrigerator,stove, microwave oven, TV, and the home phone.
My watch is pretty unimportant. My two favorite sayings are... "I have no place to go and nothing to do when I get there" and "I have all the time in the world".

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watches are an old dude thing. Along the likes of:

Landline
Writing checks
Cable TV
VCR
Smelling like yesteryear

I'm in the top 3. Guess I'm an "old dude", and proud of it.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm retired. I have my prospecting, metal detecting, bottle digging, and coin roll hunting. No time schedule, yet I put my watch on religiously every morning. Sometimes I find it upside down. Though I try, I can't seem to escape time. Everything I own has a clock on it. My truck, the computer,refrigerator,stove, microwave oven, TV, and the home phone.
My watch is pretty unimportant. My two favorite sayings are... "I have no place to go and nothing to do when I get there" and "I have all the time in the world".

Mine is, "Everyday is Saturday".

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
This is all I currently own, 15-year anniversary gift from work, about eight years ago.
The brand is equal to my age lol.
I’ve worn it maybe a dozen times.

Attachments

• 297F757A-C0EF-4731-8D3D-F8ACA73592CE.jpeg
    297F757A-C0EF-4731-8D3D-F8ACA73592CE.jpeg
    581.2 KB · Views: 82

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
63 yrs. old and have been wearing a watch since grade school. Would feel naked without one. Also have a landline, cable tv, and 2 vcr's. Never have owned a cell phone and don't want one and have managed to survive.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
63 yrs. old and have been wearing a watch since grade school. Would feel naked without one. Also have a landline, cable tv, and 2 vcr's. Never have owned a cell phone and don't want one and have managed to survive.
I hear ya! Got a younger bro that’s 54, single, he’s also never owned one a them new-fangled cellular phones till now, he just got a hand me down trackfone, was doin just fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread