Is the Watch Obsolete? Do you still use one?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
more and more people use their phones for everything including for time. I use my phone for the time usually to verify a clock or my watch. I accidentally broke the crystal on my Seiko watch and tried to get the crystal replaced at the jewelry shop in town. Nope, couldn't do it anymore. the last one cost me $40 to get replaced. So been checking the local thrift shop for decent watches, they seem to get a lot of them these days. Today got a nice Seiko with the works for $15, still ticking. The people said that watches are mostly jewelry now, nobody uses them. Well I still do. Don't think some of the kids can tell time anymore without their phone. To me, my watch is very important and use it all of the time.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I don't wear one any longer as they are obsolete, imo.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep my cell turned off most of the time unless I'm expecting a call or using it for work. At home I use a land line. My watch goes on when I wake up in the morning, and off when I go to bed. I consult it more than any other time piece.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I for one really like wearing and collecting nice watches. Obsolete? I guess if you live in the big city, or just like the convenience of carrying a cell phone you might think so. I think - like glasses or a nice jacket, the right watch can enhance your overall appearance. When I wear this on my wrist, people notice.:occasion14:

Attachments

• watch.jpg
    watch.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 85

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still use my watch (es) all the time and also a fitbit with the time as big as the display allows. The cell phone is just that, a phone. Silly people would be lost if they all stopped working and most of the kids nowadays can't tell time on a clock with hands. I have about 50 watches and will keep adding as long as I can get them cheap, working a good brands. It is only obsolete if you accept that view. Nice watch Terry, got a couple of Invictas in my collection. Good watches!

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After years of wearing a watch I still look at my wrist for time even when I don't have it on. Probably always will.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my line of work I my phone or fitbit type watch are not even allowed into the building so a good old fashioned watch will always be on my wrist!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i wear a watch when Im MDing, i have it set to alarm every hour, I find that it helps me to keep pushing, some times i head back to the truck look at the time and it feels like its bin 4 hours but was only like 30 minutes lol jk...

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my watches. I've been wearing the Seiko Padi Turtle for the last year and I've gotten more comments on this watch than more expensive ones I have owned. (Most non-watch people can't tell the difference between a $200 dollar watch and a $2000 dollars watch)
I also use the bezel to time production lines at work all the time. I prefer this method than using my phone and where I work it's not safe having a phone battery on the floor anyway.
Something about automatic watches I love and I can't explain it. I'll be the first to admit if I had millions of dollars I would probably spend thousands on several wish list models. IWC, ORIS, Longines, Rolex..

Having said all of that it's still obsolete the time on your phone is more accurate and a $40 watch tells time better than any automatic.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I still wear watches, just enjoy the different types. :icon_thumleft:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was a cheap watch wearer, Timex's when I was younger and then a black casio digital when I was in uniform. Ever since my employer decided I needed a cell phone back in 2004 I no longer wear a watch. Mind you it is a smart phone and they pay extra for it to be a wifi hotspot, but I do not do Tnet nor FB on it. I refuse to be one of those constantly looking at my phone. I do use it for property searches and other apps to help find detecting sites, other than that it's just a communications device. I only do Tnet and FB when I am on my computer.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a watch but rarely wear it. One exception is when I'm out detecting before work on Saturday morning so that I'll know when to pack up and head to work. Other than that it just collects dust on my shelf. As for the cell phone...it's OFF unless I want to make a call.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have some late 1800's pcoket watches i have been toying with the idea of having one service to use. But i figure i would just ruin it.

firemanphob

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2018
Lanesville, IN
Detector(s) used
White Coin master 4000
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I broke my ole timex about a year ago and about went crazy until I got another one. Always have my phone with me but a lot easier to glance at wrist than dig phone out. Also hard to hold phone when your checking pulse and respirations on a patient.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im naked, no watch since I was a teenager, no tats, jewelery etc. I saw a nice grandfather clock the other weekend and thought....hmmm...nice but not something I would consider owning..... I wouldnt say watches are obsolete, its just more of an option these days now that everyone has phones. Im with Loco, screen staring zombie just not my thing.

chub

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still wear one.

Right now I have on a Casio that THE ADMIRAL bought at a church rummage sale maybe six or seven years ago for $2 (still in the box). Put a new battery in it last year. Keeps wonderful time.

Half the time my cell phone is sitting on the kitchen table. I seldom carry it on the weekends. Not a fan of telephones.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve never routinely worn a watch but I have a few favorites.

The Tissot Seastar Chronograph
12DC439A-3897-4B6B-AB49-077FCB90572E.jpeg

Casio G-Shock and an Apple Watch.

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wear one everyday. For some reason just doesn't feel right if I don't have one on.

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the sun to tell time :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread