cordless headphones

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
cordless headphones

i need some new headphones i saw some at kellyco for my minelab ex? are they any good and how can i get more volume from my headphones i think i have bad ears but ive been to menu and have it maxed out?maybe its because i have some cheap ones now> like 5 dollars . i would like to hear some of those deep targets better any sugg. on cranking the volume?????????

Attachments

• ben109o.jpg
    ben109o.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 139

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Re: cordless headphones

I absolutely hate cords and wires so I have tried a few different wireless HP systems and my final verdict was to put up with the wire when it came to my Sov GT. When relying solely on tone for target ID these wireless systems make it even harder to pick up on the subtle differences in tone. They just seem to lose to much quality in the transmission when compared to a set of corded phones, even cheap ones.

However if you rely more on the LCD or happen to be using a silent search only type machine with limited tones like the ace 250 there is not much harm that can be done. With my ace I use to listen to the radio with one ear bud and the tones from the detector coming in through the other ear bud. Didn't make much difference I either got a low mid or high tone from the ace. Not exactly rocket science and you will never have to be wondering about what the score of the football game is or who's winning the nascar race.

Eventually someone is going to come out with a wireless system geared specifically for MDs that may work just fine and I will be the first in line to buy them. The ones kellyco sell are not and there is absolutely no mention of metal detecting in its instruction manual. I have not tried a pair of these but my guess is they work on par with all the others I have tried.

The good news is if you get a pair and don't like them for metal detecting most do a wonderful job when used for there intended purpose so you may not have to return it.

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT

I built a set of cordless headphones, the cord is a pita and its soo much easier not having to work around it, stretch it, eventually break it, etc etc.

IR does not work. Am does not work well. FM does work but don't get a cheap POS transmitter that sells for 10 dollars. Same goes for the 'FM reception' headphones don't get a cheap pair. you want a constant carrier wave, you do NOT want vox. plain english voice or sound activated, you will miss the head and tail ends of your beep that way... not good. The easiest is to get a transmiter that you can plug into your headphone jack and it does it's thing that way,... saves you having to do circuit board work and matching impedances and all that fun stuff... (although I did take that route eventually).

It's real tempting to get one of these 12 dollar 'fm' transmitters that claim you plug them into your Ipud and just simply tune your car radio and hear your music over the radio... again. DON'T they are terrible... and again for a FM set of headphones, yep it's real easy to get the radio shack special for $14.99..... again don't.. the tuning band is so small it's almost impossible to get a good tune of them for a decent signal.

Count on about 100 bucks but when you have a good set of phones and a decent FM transmitter (look in spy magazines or places like that) it's well worth it.

Aaron

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

thanks that sounds like what i wanted to hear /im going to look for some on the net but if you find some for sell let me know. 100 dollars is not bad if they work a 100 times better, then the dollar store ones i have? i mean they work and in finding stuff but sometimes things are very deep here in the sand and i can barely make out a noise until i get closer to it.and get it out on the bank , and then it rings like a bell. i think im missing alot of targets with cheap headphones. thank you so much

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread