I am ready to put the gloves on!

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my dilemma! This year, and like every other year, I get all my gear cleaned, battery's changed and try to buy everything I think that I may need for the new season. BUT, I always fall short with my gloves! I go through new ones every year because I can not find a good detecting pair. I watch all kind of youtube's but looking for gloves that are not like work gloves but give that "feel" in the earth. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to gloves that they are successful with?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my dilemma! This year, and like every other year, I get all my gear cleaned, battery's changed and try to buy everything I think that I may need for the new season. BUT, I always fall short with my gloves! I go through new ones every year because I can not find a good detecting pair. I watch all kind of youtube's but looking for gloves that are not like work gloves but give that "feel" in the earth. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to gloves that they are successful with?

I don't use gloves often, but mechanics gloves work ok

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the cheap harbor freight ones that have the rubberized palm and fingers , and the cloth backs.

Any glove I've tried only lasts a month or two anyways.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate wearing gloves...But like mentioned above..Mechanics gloves. You can even cut the thumb and finger tip off the glove. Walmart sells them too...A lot of places sell them...I just bought a return walmart pallet a year or so ago and it had a bunch of them in it. So I've been using them for everything lately...I hate gloves but I don't mind those too bad since the are thin and tight. You can still feel through them.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not... Home depot has good assortment.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I buy my gloves at home depot either by the 5 or 10 pack.

662909947857lg.jpg

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
get yourself a pair of Kinco goatskin unlined gloves .....

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the Tillman Tru Fit Goat skins they work great you can buy them on eBay for a good price.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
I bought 2 pair of heavy leather gloves about 10 years ago,I always wear them and the 2nd pair are still going strong,they are are also warm enough up to upper 20 degrees.Digging in NYC parks you would be a fool not to wear gloves.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Always wear the proper gloves for the task at hand. My tool box ALWAYS has several types of gloves. My general purpose gloves of choice are similar to what loco-digger pictured. Wherever they are cheap. Everything else is purpose driven, not cost.

For most detecting, I use inexpensive weightlifting gloves, the kind that have the ends of fingers and thumb missing. Alternatively, shooters gloves, those with free thumb and forefinger are good, but i have not found them cheap in years.

The correct glove saved my left thumb a few years ago. Lost the glove. Still got four stitches. Kept the thumb. The wrong gloves would have cost me.

Time for more coffee.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wear snug thin leather work gloves. After a while they form to my hands and feel natural. With all the glass nails and now sometimes even needles, I don't dig without them!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
In the end, pick up 10-12 pair of what works for you. We all have our preferences. Each for our own reasons.

Time for more coffee.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3cylbill and cyzak are on the money. Goatskin Tig welding gloves, thin enough for feel,thick enough for protection, no sweating

chub

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Home Depot has a 10 pack of rubberized palm / cloth backing gloves that are always on sale. I'm hard on gloves.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wells Lamont Leather Work Gloves - Three-pair Pack $19.95 at Costco. It takes a full year of digging to wear a pair out!:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread