Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
a month or two back, we finally located some descendants of a WWII man that we had found the dogtags to. They were very slow to respond but finally did and sent us photos of the soldier and an surviving elderly son. It took a couple of weeks to actually get an address to send the tags to but we sent them immediately, First class mail. We know that they received them but then nothing, not even a "yes we got them" nothing. We have no idea what could be happening at their end but a simple acknowledgement would have been nice. But I guess sometimes that it is what it is and it ain't what it ain't. They were very excited at first but then nothing, so who knows. Anyways, we did our part and got them back to them. It was still exciting for us no matter what. DL

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Yep... I've had 2 class rings in the last 3 years with the same "non response" after sending them...???

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think some people are just more sentimental than others. They're happy to receive something that belong to a deceased relative. Others could care less. Good for you for getting it back to the family.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
We know where your heart is dirt looter. Seems like with the changing times folks are so wrapped up in their lives they don't take time to look up.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people have forgotten a really important simplistic thing that helps make life a little better for everyone.

Manners.

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I salute you as a fellow veteran! If they answer or not is not the issue. The issue is that you have a big heart and a true patriot!! We salute YOU!

Last edited:
OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
returning the tags was not optional, it is what should be done and most of us would do it anyways.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the tags will eventually end up in an heirs hands that appreciates them.
Family friend passed away. The son gave his dress uniform and medals (including a Purple Heart) to good will.
That was even before he passed.

You see it all the time,where people are selling family heirlooms on tv. You can’t keep everything, but a memento of a patriotic sacrifice?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Confirmation of receiving the tags would be the polite thing to do.
Who knows why they did not respond again. People are people.....

A thought (danger , warning) is they may be uncomfortable in thinking you might expect or deserve more from them than a simple thanks. (?)
(Not due to anything you did.)

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Confirmation of receiving the tags would be the polite thing to do.
Who knows why they did not respond again. People are people.....

A thought (danger , warning) is they may be uncomfortable in thinking you might expect or deserve more from them than a simple thanks. (?)
(Not due to anything you did.)

We tried to make sure that they knew that we wanted nothing except confirmation of reception and possible a pic of someone holding the tags. We have our own section just for these tags, pics of the tags and possible descendants. When I have returned class rings, it has been for a handshake or a hug and a pic of them and me. The handshake or hug is plenty and usually heartfelt. The smiles are just big bonuses that you never forget.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe the tags will eventually end up in an heirs hands that appreciates them.
Family friend passed away. The son gave his dress uniform and medals (including a Purple Heart) to good will.
That was even before he passed.

You see it all the time,where people are selling family heirlooms on tv. You can’t keep everything, but a memento of a patriotic sacrifice?

can not imagine giving away a purple heart or any other medal for that matter. But, I have a son that has given away or sold things that killed me. he doesn't get important things anymore but my daughter and her sons get them.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You did the right thing DL. Unfortunately some people are completely self-absorbed and don’t get it. Wow! Giving away his Purple Heart.

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You did the right thing. Their story is unknown to you. This guy, whose tags you found could have been a mass murderer, or a real SOB. Not saying he was, but there could be a reason for no reply. They could have been being civil, or humoring YOU, by sending an address. Maybe not a precious item, or memory for them.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
dirt-looter, thanx for sharing your story. Good inputs from others so far. This happened once to me too, with a Korean war era sterling silver Military ID bracelet. After much effort tracking down the family, turns out the owner had passed away a few years earlier. But not to worry, I told the person on the phone "I will send it to you, since it belongs with your family's heirlooms". They reluctantly gave me an address (with what seemed like reservation/suspicions).

In with the sterling dog tags, I just asked that they send an acknowledgement that they got it, since that's part of our hobby, is that we like to solve mysteries like this with repatriation. I too never got a "yes we got it" or "thankyou" or "no thankyou".

But still, when you look at the various stories on the forums (class rings, etc...) that turn out to be fun and grateful folks, (the "md'r saved the day" type of sentimental stories), then it makes it all worthwhile. So even though this one didn't turn out that way, you still did the right thing.

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This happens all the time. Every ring I ever returned thru the mail to a person I have yet to get a reply. 4 so far.

Don't take it personal.....

Common courtesy, is not so common any more.

Lunch Bag

Dec 23, 2018
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I find myself disappointed in people when they fail to say or write a simple thank you.

I keep reminding myself that Jesus healed ten leper’s and only one of them thanked Him.

If this is the only thanks Jesus received how can we expect any more.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
As we all know, many war Veterans come home with PTSD and other issues and many become alcoholics and/or drug addicts and are usually mentally disconnected with family members. They needed help that they never got either because of the inadequacies of the VA, government bureaucracy or their on inability to recognize that the needed help. Due to this, some become violent or verbally abusive or both or so impaired at times, that it is a drain on family members both mentally and physically. I saw this with one brother-in-law who was a war hero who saw a lot of action in Vietnam, Cambodia and likely Laos. The whole family became disconnected with him and thought he was embarrassment until my sister received all of his' medals just before he passed from three forms of Agent Orange Cancer, most of which had to be cleared because they were still or had been Top Secret. After seeing all of the medals, learning about how he got them and what he actually did while serving during the war, the family had a complete 180 degree turn around about him and regret to this day, all of the unkind words spoken or whispered about him. Some folks never get that chance, never getting to know what their loved one did during the war that they served in and what they went through. It is these folks that are still bitter at their' Veteran family member, they can't seem to let it go and many do not want any items that belonged to the Veteran family member returned or in their' homes. It is a sad state of affairs but it is something that happens every day with returning Veterans and their families. No matter what problems the Veteran's family members have about the Veteran, you did the right thing Dirtlooter and God will look kindly upon you for doing it.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
As we all know, many war Veterans come home with PTSD and other issues and many become alcoholics and/or drug addicts and are usually mentally disconnected with family members. They needed help that they never got either because of the inadequacies of the VA, government bureaucracy or their on inability to recognize that the needed help. Due to this, some become violent or verbally abusive or both or so impaired at times, that it is a drain on family members both mentally and physically. I saw this with one brother-in-law who was a war hero who saw a lot of action in Vietnam, Cambodia and likely Laos. The whole family became disconnected with him and thought he was embarrassment until my sister received all of his' medals just before he passed from three forms of Agent Orange Cancer, most of which had to be cleared because they were still or had been Top Secret. After seeing all of the medals, learning about how he got them and what he actually did while serving during the war, the family had a complete 180 degree turn around about him and regret to this day, all of the unkind words spoken or whispered about him. Some folks never get that chance, never getting to know what their loved one did during the war that they served in and what they went through. It is these folks that are still bitter at their' Veteran family member, they can't seem to let it go and many do not want any items that belonged to the Veteran family member returned or in their' homes. It is a sad state of affairs but it is something that happens every day with returning Veterans and their families. No matter what problems the Veteran's family members have about the Veteran, you did the right thing Dirtlooter and God will look kindly upon you for doing it.
That’s a great way to look at it. Thank you huntsman. I should have been more gracious with my post.
Thank you to all veterans for what you gave of yourselves.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the 3rd set went to a son that didn't appear to want anything to do with his father, in fact neither son did but we got an address thanks to GARES help and sent them to them. I too understand that some Vets came back with "problems" that were hard for family life. But this family didn't seem to have that problem. anyways, it is done. I actually have my father's dog tags in an enclosed case that contains various parent/grandparent "relics" for us to remember them by. to me, our heritage is important and I mean to pass these things down to my daughter and her children.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread