Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: Dont know what their problem is

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    11671 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)

Don't know what their problem is

a month or two back, we finally located some descendants of a WWII man that we had found the dogtags to. They were very slow to respond but finally did and sent us photos of the soldier and an surviving elderly son. It took a couple of weeks to actually get an address to send the tags to but we sent them immediately, First class mail. We know that they received them but then nothing, not even a "yes we got them" nothing. We have no idea what could be happening at their end but a simple acknowledgement would have been nice. But I guess sometimes that it is what it is and it ain't what it ain't. They were very excited at first but then nothing, so who knows. Anyways, we did our part and got them back to them. It was still exciting for us no matter what. DL
    lairmo, SD51, huntsman53 and 13 others like this.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Lookit Tha Size O' Those Hog-Mollies!!!

Jan 2009
    SW MO
    Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
    4372 times
    Yep... I've had 2 class rings in the last 3 years with the same "non response" after sending them...
    dirtlooter, Inspector and A2coins like this.

us
    May 2010
    Northern Ohio
    Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
    605 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I think some people are just more sentimental than others. They're happy to receive something that belong to a deceased relative. Others could care less. Good for you for getting it back to the family.

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6464 times
    Well, if you end up finding the Dog Tags again, you will know not to send them a second time!

us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 1862 Wheaties
    1543 times
    prospecting, metal detecting
    We know where your heart is dirt looter. Seems like with the changing times folks are so wrapped up in their lives they don't take time to look up.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia - La Florida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    42214 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Some people have forgotten a really important simplistic thing that helps make life a little better for everyone.

Manners.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

Director Road Operations Port Authority Pittsburgh (Retired)

Jun 2008
    Jefferson Hills, Pa
    Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark
    144 times
    I salute you as a fellow veteran! If they answer or not is not the issue. The issue is that you have a big heart and a true patriot!! We salute YOU!
    Last edited by G. I. Digger; Feb 21, 2019 at 05:48 PM.
    Retired military veteran 23 years Army/Air Force. Six years Army Security Agency, seventeen years Air Force Reserves. Other hobbies include radio controled aircraft, build model aircraft stands for sale, firing my Smith Wesson 9mm, 357 magnum, and K-22 Model 17 Masterpiece, copying morse code on my completely restored military R-391.

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    11671 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    returning the tags was not optional, it is what should be done and most of us would do it anyways.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

Mar 2016
    2601 times
    Maybe the tags will eventually end up in an heirs hands that appreciates them.
    Family friend passed away. The son gave his dress uniform and medals (including a Purple Heart) to good will.
    That was even before he passed.

You see it all the time,where people are selling family heirlooms on tv. You can’t keep everything, but a memento of a patriotic sacrifice?
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    17780 times
    Confirmation of receiving the tags would be the polite thing to do.
    Who knows why they did not respond again. People are people.....

A thought (danger , warning) is they may be uncomfortable in thinking you might expect or deserve more from them than a simple thanks. (?)
    (Not due to anything you did.)

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    11671 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by releventchair View Post
    Confirmation of receiving the tags would be the polite thing to do.
    Who knows why they did not respond again. People are people.....

A thought (danger , warning) is they may be uncomfortable in thinking you might expect or deserve more from them than a simple thanks. (?)
    (Not due to anything you did.)
    We tried to make sure that they knew that we wanted nothing except confirmation of reception and possible a pic of someone holding the tags. We have our own section just for these tags, pics of the tags and possible descendants. When I have returned class rings, it has been for a handshake or a hug and a pic of them and me. The handshake or hug is plenty and usually heartfelt. The smiles are just big bonuses that you never forget.

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    11671 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    Maybe the tags will eventually end up in an heirs hands that appreciates them.
    Family friend passed away. The son gave his dress uniform and medals (including a Purple Heart) to good will.
    That was even before he passed.

You see it all the time,where people are selling family heirlooms on tv. You can’t keep everything, but a memento of a patriotic sacrifice?
    can not imagine giving away a purple heart or any other medal for that matter. But, I have a son that has given away or sold things that killed me. he doesn't get important things anymore but my daughter and her sons get them.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600, Tesoro Compadre 720i Stealth Scoop
    6637 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    You did the right thing DL. Unfortunately some people are completely self-absorbed and don’t get it. Wow! Giving away his Purple Heart.
    Last edited by RustyGold; Feb 21, 2019 at 06:31 PM.
    Inspector, A2coins and gcmsdan like this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    5400 times
    Metal Detecting
    You did the right thing. Their story is unknown to you. This guy, whose tags you found could have been a mass murderer, or a real SOB. Not saying he was, but there could be a reason for no reply. They could have been being civil, or humoring YOU, by sending an address. Maybe not a precious item, or memory for them.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10029 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    dirt-looter, thanx for sharing your story. Good inputs from others so far. This happened once to me too, with a Korean war era sterling silver Military ID bracelet. After much effort tracking down the family, turns out the owner had passed away a few years earlier. But not to worry, I told the person on the phone "I will send it to you, since it belongs with your family's heirlooms". They reluctantly gave me an address (with what seemed like reservation/suspicions).

In with the sterling dog tags, I just asked that they send an acknowledgement that they got it, since that's part of our hobby, is that we like to solve mysteries like this with repatriation. I too never got a "yes we got it" or "thankyou" or "no thankyou".

But still, when you look at the various stories on the forums (class rings, etc...) that turn out to be fun and grateful folks, (the "md'r saved the day" type of sentimental stories), then it makes it all worthwhile. So even though this one didn't turn out that way, you still did the right thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links