Ever look back and see where God had to be protecting you?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most of us if we have lived very long have had close calls, I have had quite a few myself. However, several years ago, we were watching some sort of show about deadly creatures. After a while, they began showing this super bad octopus, a small Blue Ring octopus. I immediately recognize the octopus from my past.

In about 1969, I was in the 9th grade and in Okinawa. The family was out at the edge of a shallow reef area and the tide was mostly out. We (my younger brother and I) were snorkeling in some of the bomb crater holes left over from WWII. These holes held plenty of water when the tide was out and had fish etc in them. When we got through snorkeling and we prowling the hard reef edge, I had found this very small and beautiful octopus and meant to catch it.

As hard as I tried to get it, it seemed to melt into tiny cracks and get away from me. I tried for over an hour to get to it and get it out but no way. I managed to show it to my parents, wanted them to see those beautiful blue rings. Any ways, was very surprised to see it and find out how poisonous it really is. And, very happy that in spite of all my effort, I failed to "catch it". We knew of some of the small conch like snails that were poisonous and avoided them but knew nothing about the Blue Rings. We also avoided the numerous sea snakes.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Three or four times.
At twenty yrs old, in the Navy.
I lost my arm and almost my life, from loss of blood,
but was on an aircraft carrier, with a large crew that had my blood type,
and my ship had a small hospital,
and skilled surgeons...!
Thirty Seconds, my heart did "hesitate" to beat again....
I was "dead"...! :angel11:
I was saved for a reason...!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Three or four times.
At twenty yrs old, in the Navy.
I lost my arm and almost my life, from loss of blood,
but was on an aircraft carrier, with a large crew that had my blood type,
and my ship had a small hospital,
and skilled surgeons...!
Thirty Seconds, my heart did "hesitate" to beat again....
I was "dead"...! :angel11:
I was saved for a reason...!

pretty awesome and yes, for a reason

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It has happened many times to me but really don't want to post any, so not to pounce upon your Thread.

pounce away. I figure that most people can wonder how they managed to survive something.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of times, but being hit head on by a speeding car would probably be at the top of the list.
My fault. Just a kid - what do you expect?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The. GOOD LORD had other plans for you.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I almost lost my life in an arson house fire back in1990. I told my wife that I never once want to be scared like that again. A very humbling experience. But God is Good.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been in 3 real bad car accidents when I younger. I’m still here. Thank God.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost control of my car on black ice one spring awhile ago. Wasn't going fast, but where I worked there was a slope out front going down to another building. As I started to turn left into my parking spot I hit the unseen black ice and the car slid sideways downhill and then the nose, weight being in front, angled downhill also.

So here I sit, broken hearted, knowing in about 3 seconds I was going to hit the little red pickup sitting there with the front end of my car. Again, wasn't exactly going fast.

At the very last second, the car lurched 15' or so UPHILL, and the front end aligned itself with the rear, and kept going slowly off the black ice. I went around back and parked there.

No you KNOW cars can't go sideways UPHILL on black ice! But I know Who can do that!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wait a minute!!
This morning I came within an inch of colliding with a hay truck.
It was chilly this A.M. and the heater in my truck only half works (litterally speaking).
One side hot - one side cold.

Started the truck up early and let it warm up for 30 minutes. Still had not defrosted the snow/ice off the entire windshield. Figured good enough and took off down my driveway.
Tapped my brakes at the end of my driveway and pulled out onto the main road.
Split second later I see this white 3 ton hay truck coming down the snow covered road going about 35.

I jammed on the brakes and by the time the rear end of the flatbed passed me, I was an inch away from hitting it. The driver didn’t hit their brakes luckily, or it would have been an accident.
I’m not sure he even saw me.

Felt like a dumb shitt but thanked my luck and headed to work like any other day.

Lunch Bag

Dec 23, 2018
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Numerous times God saved me while others around me were killed or wounded.

Countless times I had wished it was me and not them.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Riding my Harley home at 3am. Deer ran in front of me. Hit him hard. Was bad enough for them to call a helicopter and fly me to the best head trauma hospital in the area. During the ride I died and was brought back. Was in a coma for a couple days. Broke some ribs, my collar bone, almost bit my tongue off, and had bad head trauma. Can't remember a whole year of my life. Lucky to be here at all after that.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There have been many times on my way to work I was a bit late, or otherwise delayed from my usual schedule to see a car accident. Had I been earlier it would have involved me. There are many times throughout my life so far He's looked after me.
Hard times fall on all of us, and we all go through things. I know it feels like you're getting it rough and sometimes if you aren't careful you become bitter from living in the world. However, he does look after us, we just have to realize it and thank him for it.

Although I'm not perfect ( I am guilty of saying some cross words, being bitter at times due to situations, etc.) he still helps me. I do ask for forgiveness and pray. Anytime something good happens to me it's because God made it happen.

Mother Superior

Jan 18, 2017
Quebec city
Primary Interest:
Other
Had some close calls, but there are two that I definitely should not have survived.

Once I was standing next to a frozen river with my cousin and her husband. They were about 25 years old and I was probably 5.
I was about 25 away meters from them when I suddenly slipped. I went through the ice instantly.
Lord knows why I floated and didn't move an inch, my head peaking through the hole I had punched through the ice when I fell.
Now this was a small river but with a pretty rapid flow, much more than what is needed to carry away a 5 old in a heavy, soaked snow suit.
I should have been sucked under the ice in seconds, I shouldn't even have floated back to the top.
My cousin's husband heard me scream, and he leaped to the river, yanked me out of the water, threw me over his shoulder like a potato sack and ran to his cabin were he sat me in a blanket next to the woodstove for hours.

About 10 years ago I was on a roof and lost my footing. It happened kind of in slow motion. I knew I would fall, so in a split second I decided to launch myself towards a big cedar tree in order no to fall flat on the concrete.
Little did I know there was an old 6 foot rusty metal spike in the tree, probably put there when the cedar was rather small to keep it growing straight.
If I had jumped an inch closer I would have been impaled. Instead I just ripped open the back of my right thigh as well as my right buttcheek.
There was a death-like silence, everyone was looking at me in horror as I dangled from the spike that had gone through my clothes and was keeping me about 6 inches from the ground.
Since I was half in the tree, no one could see what I had hit. My best friend came running and lifted me off the spike.
When everyone realized I had almost turned into a shish kabob we all wondered how the hell I had been so lucky...
Needless to say, I sat funny for the rest of the summer.

These moments were there is absolutely no logic in you surviving will definitely make you lift your eyes and feel thankfull...

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lost control of my car on black ice one spring awhile ago. Wasn't going fast, but where I worked there was a slope out front going down to another building. As I started to turn left into my parking spot I hit the unseen black ice and the car slid sideways downhill and then the nose, weight being in front, angled downhill also.

So here I sit, broken hearted, knowing in about 3 seconds I was going to hit the little red pickup sitting there with the front end of my car. Again, wasn't exactly going fast.

At the very last second, the car lurched 15' or so UPHILL, and the front end aligned itself with the rear, and kept going slowly off the black ice. I went around back and parked there.

No you KNOW cars can't go sideways UPHILL on black ice! But I know Who can do that!

And you probably found a cw bugle and gold coin on getting out of your car!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
pounce away. I figure that most people can wonder how they managed to survive something.

Well you asked for it or should I say them!

Fell off the top bunk of a bunk bed when I was 5 years old, literally head first onto a tongue & groove hardwood floor with a solid heavy plank sub-floor underneath. I apparently cracked my' skull as even into my' 30's, you could feel the separation of my' skull bones. I likely suffered a severe concussion but since we were poor and I could talk and walk, although somewhat unstable, my parents never took me to the Hospital or to a Doctor. I had severe headaches for almost a week and although I can remember my' grandmother dying when I was 3 1/2 years old and a couple of places we lived, I really don't remember much of anything when I was 5 years old.

Fell off the back of a Chevrolet pickup when I was 8 years old in the busiest intersection of Knoxville, Tennessee. My friend Steve Haynes and myself worked for a used Appliance Store. We would clean the traded in appliances, a repairman would fix any problems with them and then they would go out for resell. The boss asked me a Steve to ride in the bed of the truck to make sure that the refrigerator we were delivering did not break loose and fall. Coming off Western Avenue on to Henley Street, we caught a red light and when the boss pulled out, he punched it and popped the clutch. I had been talking to Steve and did not have a good hold on the rope and I went back-stepping across the length of the bed. I went over the tailgate head first and somehow did a 180 or something in mid-air and grabbed the bumper of the truck. The impact of my' head and body into the pavement, knocked me out and I was being drug up Henley Street. I awoke to people screaming and yelling, Steve yelling at the boss to stop because I fell out and seeing cars rapidly approaching me from between my' legs. Well, the boss wouldn't stop because he thought Steve was joking and since the cars behind us (in my case, those I could see between my' legs) were getting closer and closer, I let go of the bumper, rolled to the sidewalk and started running for the truck with people still screaming. I was a fast runner and due to heavy traffic, I had almost caught up with the truck by the time the boss finally pulled over and stopped. It is funny but I only suffered some scrapes on the back of my' head and on my' shoulders and elbows.

I will save some others for later and the most significant event for last and sorry that the stories are somewhat long-winded even though I shortened them a lot from all that actually happened!

Last edited:
OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
my biggest example was my ruptured brain aneurysm. it took the small town local hospital until the next day to figure it out and have me air lifted to a big town hospital a hundred plus miles away. The neurosurgeon told me that there was absolutely no way that I was still alive and yet I was. He said that he had never seen anyone survive one like that. I told him that God wasn't through with me yet, he just shook his head.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions