fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I let our Yorkie, Charlie out tonight to do his business. We fenced in a small section of our yard so he can run. Anyway, about 5 minutes passed and I went out to get him. When I opened the door into the yard I noticed some movement in a small tree right outside the fence. I made a beeline for Charlie and just as I got close a very large owl flew out of the tree and into a pine tree about 50 feet away. It sat there an watched as I got Charlie to come to me and let him in the house.
I don't know for sure if the owl would have attacked the dog but I am glad it didn't get a chance to.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Dog Yummy .. I don't know if they attack a small dog or not, but glad you didn't have to find out the hard way!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess them birds dont play around !!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a large population of Birds of prey up here in the Pennsylvania Wilds. Everything from Owls and Hawks to Bald Eagles. Normally, I wouldn't worry but Spring is right around the corner which is when I plan on starting my training for my pigeons.
Glad everything worked out for Charlie.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a small 9lb Chihuahua mix that I worry about when out and about, even in my own yard.
Especially since he doesn't know fear (when it comes to other animals) and has a huge Napoleon complex.
He's fought cats bigger than him, an opossum once and chases raccoons regularly.
Yesterday he was chasing a 3 ft black snake that lives on the side of the house.
I really have to watch him.

On a related note...
I was walking home peacefully through the woods one day when I was a teenager, I had a moppy head full of dirty blonde hair, all of a sudden some type of raptor sunk his talons into my scalp thinking I was a rabbit or something I guess. I thought a big flying carpet (for some reason) was falling out of the sky and landing on my head lol. I think it was a hawk but to be honest I don't know what it was. It was a very strange encounter. I will never forget that. Yes, it did leave marks.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
small pets are potential food for several critters from coyotes to owls and eagles. all they see is a food source, not a pet. oh yes, forgot the alligators and big snakes down south. to them, food is food. have lost several dogs and cats to the coyotes, managed to save one one time but just barely.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Great Horned Owl once packed off one our Mallard ducks. We found what was left of him about 50' from the chicken yard. Those Owls are big enough to take a small dog. Oh yeah, we call those little dogs "Coyote Cusine."

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have to worry about coyotes but I did have a 4' alligator in my backyard several years ago. Charlie weighs 10 pounds but a large owl might try to make a meal out of him.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad your dog escaped harm!

My two corgis love chasing rabbits in our back yard. The last few weeks I haven't seen a rabbit until the snow melted a little under a pine tree in my yard. Under the pine tree there were owl pellets and a half eaten rabbit. My little female corgi is tiny, not much larger than a rabbit. Now we won't let her out unless we are out with her. We worry that owl will get her. Not to mention the large golden eagle that ate my neighbors chicken. Death from above I tell ya!

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dated a girl years ago that told about her pet rabbit. She made a low fence enclosure for it in to hop around the yard. Well sure enough- some big wingspanned bird swooped down and did it in! Glad Charlie is allright!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I read a story in a Outdoor life magazine about a guy that wanted to be a forest ranger.Well he did become a forest ranger to make a story short,while at work one day he was wearing a hat made from a muskrat skin.He was walking down a wooded trail and was attacked and killed by a great horned owl.The owl was after his hat.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the 1990's my parents had taken in a stray cat they named "Boots". I went down to visit my dad and he said he couldn't find "Boots" anywhere today. So I looked all over and called and still no Boots appearance. Then 3 days later my dad called and said get on down here now. So I trotted through our woods the 200 yds. to see him. There was boots lying on the deck in not so good health. Both sides of her hind quarters had deep gashes into her flesh. I took cat to the vet and dropped off. Vet called later and said the cat was picked up by a bird of pray and hauled off and I could come get her now. She was gonna live and be ok. The wounds looked worse when all the fur was shaved off exposing them. One can only imagine the hell that cat went through being carried off in flight and then reaching around attacking herself before being dropped somewhere. It took her days to crawl back up to the deck. Dad said he watched her crawl up at about 9 am and was barley moving. She's still alive today and shows no sign of the attack now.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read a story in a Outdoor life magazine about a guy that wanted to be a forest ranger.Well he did become a forest ranger to make a story short,while at work one day he was wearing a hat made from a muskrat skin.He was walking down a wooded trail and was attacked and killed by a great horned owl.The owl was after his hat.

Seriously??:laughing7:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Seriously??

Yeah,seriously.Raptors talons are used for killing.Most raptors kill by piercing the spinal cord in the neck.Once a raptor grasps you with its talons it requires no effort from the raptor to hang on.The raptors tendons that are used for its talons are toothed like the plastic zip strips you buy .They lock the talons closed requiring no muscular effort from the bird to hang on.A raptor can seriously mess you up.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The neighbors have a herd of little Yorkies, and we have red tailed hawks, too.
I need to remind her, to be on the lookout.....
I got to set the possum trap tonight, too(Diggumup reminded me of that, lol).

Glad little Charlie is ok. You may want to consider some chicken wire, wired over
the top of your little doggie run.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know about other area, but twice I have see a huge owl swoop down through my back yard and they are big birds. They appear much bigger than our typical hawks. Our big worries in Atlanta are coyotes. Yes, you heard me, they are all over north Atlanta suburbs and taking small pets left and right. Especially cats who get out and lost and don't have a clue about mother nature. A DNR rep told me that coyotes see cats not only as food but as competitors for small game like rabbits and squirrels and kill them for that reason.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread