Ace 400 or At Pro?

Bidoof77

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon
I have a question today and I would love the advice and wisdom from more experienced detectors. I have been detecting for 4 years now and I have a garret ace 350. It still works great but I was thinking about an upgrade. I was thinking of an ace 400 or at pro. I learned that garret no longer makes my current detector and the ace 400 seems very similar to what I have now. However the I.D. Scale from 1-99 is something that I would love to have. This is a nice detector in my price range. However is the at pro worth getting over the ace 400. The automated ground balance for the at pro seems like a sought after characteristic but is it worth the extra money? I’d love your thoughts thanks so much!
Jeffrey

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neither....ive owned both.....Minelab Equinox 600 will destroy both of them at about the same price as the AT Pro

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT PRO hands down! I got the z-link for mine, I love not being connected to the machine.:icon_thumleft:

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would suggest the AT Pro as well...with the ACE 400 you cannot do a manual ground balance...period. I'm also looking at the AT Pro or Minelab CTX 3030 down the road...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Got-Good-Tones

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you really want to make the choice in the Garrett family : AT Pro
BUT, i would never buy this one when you got for the same money the Nox 600 that is better, a lot better.

CorgiDoom1881

Feb 13, 2019
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used the AT Pro for a while and I would recommend it. The main advantage is pro mode, which can really help discrimitate and give a good depth indication.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both At Pro and Equinox 600 are great detectors. Print out some comparison charts, maybe find a dealer in your area that has both and try them out. When I think about getting a new detector I think about where I have to send it for any issues. Someone mentioned to me about a Minelab office/repair is in Indiana?, I may be mistaken about that. If so that's not too far from me. I have considered the Equinox 600. My dealer is supposed to be getting one in soon. Some people just prefer a certain brand and won't switch, and that's fine. I like what the equinox is featuring, especially the weight, backlight... to start with. When I saw the spec sheet I couldn't believe it was a Minelab that didn't weigh as much as a jumbo jet, yet has all the comforts/amenities.
Jon

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT pro is sweet machine and easy to use....

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
If you are deciding solely between those two, go with the AT Pro. If you are open to others, you may want to look at the Equinox 600 or that new Deus ORX.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I now have a Equinox800 so we'll see what all the fuss is about.

If I were to pick between just those two, I'd go with the at pro, BUT!, with the equinox and at max out now, you can get a steal of a deal on a very nice used at pro for about $300 to $350. That is a GREAT deal.

OP
OP
B

Bidoof77

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll definitely look into the equinox! Thanks for the suggestion! I’d be scared to switch from Garret though I’ve always used that brand and I trust it. And a used at pro especially with new detectors out rn to drive down prices is intriguing but I’d be concerned about buying a used detector.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon - I have a question...
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Jeffrey! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

2nd - Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check Craigslist for used machines. I saw an AT Pro with the factory could and 5x8 coil and the guy was asking $325. Said he used it once. If it’s still for sale I might go buy it this weekend because it’s such a deal.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check Craigslist for used machines. I saw an AT Pro with the factory could and 5x8 coil and the guy was asking $325. Said he used it once. If it’s still for sale I might go buy it this weekend because it’s such a deal.

That's about the price I sold mine for here last year, along with $300 in free extra coils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread