Old Cotton Gins

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
I was curious if anyone has searched around old cotton gins. My brother recently told me there used to be a cotton gin on my grandfathers place. The area that its in is heavily over grown(poison ivy, briars, low brush etc.) and only traces of it remain. It was built in the mid to late 1800's. I planned on trying it out this winter when the vegetation dies and the snakes crawl back in their holes.
I am not exactly sure how they were set up to know where to look.
Any ideas would be helpful.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about the cotton gin but I can give you a little advice about the poison ivy. I was digging around a late 1800's house one early winter day that they were in the process of landscaping the yard and I got covered in poison ivy. It had lost it's leaves but I got it from the roots while digging. I thought I would mention that just in case you had never had the bad experience I had. I hope you find a bunch of goodies there.

DANGLANGLEY

OP
OP
acedigger

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
Luckily I am not allergic to the stuff. I have cut it out of trees and cleared areas that were full of it. The bad part is my wife is allergic and she gets it off my clothes when she washes them. Shes even got it off our dog. So for her sake I have to be careful.
Thanks for the tip.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
DANGLANGLEY said:
I don't know about the cotton gin but I can give you a little advice about the poison ivy. I was digging around a late 1800's house one early winter day that they were in the process of landscaping the yard and I got covered in poison ivy. It had lost it's leaves but I got it from the roots while digging. I thought I would mention that just in case you had never had the bad experience I had. I hope you find a bunch of goodies there.

Doc says when hears about a bad case of poison ivy in January or February he knows it's me. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread