Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: When Does Your Metal Detecting Season Typically Start and Finish?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Knowledge in machine struck coinage and colonial through 1800's Relics.

Feb 2013
    New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Woods
    Teknetics T2 SE (DST) Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup) 15" T2 coil Pro-Pointer Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 Fisher F2 Fisher F-Point
    5652 times
    Coins and Relics
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

When Does Your Metal Detecting Season Typically Start and Finish?

I haven't been able to get out and metal detect for the past month, I tried to get out twice before we got some more snow a couple weeks ago, but it was too frozen to dig the first time, and the second time I managed to find a handful of nice colonial buttons, but nearly froze to death while doing so. What especially sucks is that December was probably my best month ever, but I had to stop for the weather by early January, with a stronger urge than ever to get out and metal detect. When do you guys call it quits for the season? I'm from NH, and normally I can still get out until late December or early January, though a storm may come earlier like is has some years and put an end to any winter metal detecting. I normally also am able to start again by late March, or April, though we sometimes get that one last storm in March that makes it impossible to get out for another 2 or 3 weeks. I wish I lived further south, where I could metal detect all year round, I'm envious of everyone in Today's Finds who is still able to get out.
    2014-2017 Finds
    1700s Sundial
    165? french liard
    1696 1774 1730s 17?? copper
    1723 irish ˝ penny
    1730 KG coin toy
    2x AU 1803 LC
    1722 1/2 Penny
    1779, 1781˝ Real, ? 1 Real
    NJ Copper 1786
    1805,1838 LC
    26 Coppers 17 colonial
    175 1720-1850 buttons
    40 Musket Balls
    1906 1912 1934 dog Lics
    16 1700s Buckles 1 silver
    2 1700s spigot
    3 Thimbles 1 silver
    Cleaning Finds:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ge...ns-relics.html

us
    Can you dig it.

Dec 2016
    NH
    Equinox 600 - Garrett AT MAX & ProPointer AT------- Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tesoro Mojave, Wilson C&R 4
    1016 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Also in NH and i follow your same schedule pretty much but i also try to extend the season or start earlier by taveling to massachusetts. Finding some south facing sites also helps. Those will be free off snow first and have softer ground. I also have a predator tools ranger shovel. Its got mean teeth and a D handle so i can get into that semi frozen ground. If you saw my other recent post, i was in waders and detecting a river swimming hole last week. I was in 200gram waders but if i was in 400 or higher i would have been a little more comfortable. The water temp was about 35 degrees. Air temp was 38 to 40. Zero wind. It was a good time and scratched the itch.

us
    Jan 2016
    NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
    4908 times
    My season used to have no end, but after a few years of hard digging, a cabinet full of finds, and very few (new) places left to hunt I've become a bit more of a fair weather hunter. Now it seems my window is between 45°-90°F. Beyond that just means I'm desperate to get away from my wife and/or kids for a bit.
    AARC, coinman123 and dsdigger like this.
    “During the gold rush its a good time to be in the pick and shovel business.” Mark Twain

us
    Sep 2013
    Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
    7813 times
    It started for me in the summer of 77' and when I die the season will end.
    If your ground is frozen and you can't take the withdrawal, go and find a grove of pine trees. The needles and other stuff nature provides typically keeps the ground from freezing solid.
    I've been detecting through Michigan winters all of my life.

us
    May 2011
    tujunga ca
    xlt mxt gmz whites
    1052 times
    i live in calif so its 365 days a year,but we dont have the cool stuff you guys find in the east ,oh well.
    brad

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    2255 times
    Metal Detecting
    It seems like it's either too cold or too hot to hunt here most of the time. That leaves spring and fall. Anymore, spring and fall seem to last about only 2 weeks each! Getting out whenever I can. Gary

us
    Oct 2018
    NE Ohio
    Minelab Equinox 600 Garrett AT Max Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
    889 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1969 View Post
    It started for me in the summer of 77' and when I die the season will end.
    If your ground is frozen and you can't take the withdrawal, go and find a grove of pine trees. The needles and other stuff nature provides typically keeps the ground from freezing solid.
    I've been detecting through Michigan winters all of my life.
    In in NE Ohio, and haven’t been shut out yet this winter. When the grassy areas and field froze before the first good snows, I moved into the woods with its thick bed of leaf mulch to insulate the ground. My finds aren’t as stellar, but I’m finding old iron and lots of headstamps that get the heart pumping.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way.
    coinman123, BC1969 and dsdigger like this.

May 2017
    1266 times
    With a lincoln memorial cent.
    coinman123 and dsdigger like this.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia - La Florida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    40736 times
    What's a season ? ? ?

I'm in Florida... Season begins at daylight and ends when the crowds show up. :P

Wintertime can be brutal FOR ME anyway due to cold winds... but can be worth it ... a peak time for finds due to sand shifts ...

after storms are also "seasons".
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

us
    Sep 2013
    Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
    7813 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1637 View Post
    i live in calif so its 365 days a year,but we dont have the cool stuff you guys find in the east ,oh well.
    brad
    Don't be discouraged by lack of human activity.
    Some of the biggest and best coin caches ever found have been found in California.
    The most recent that I can remember made national news..
    A lady and her hubby out walking their new land and seen something shiny by the base of a tree.
    Huge, HUGE cache of gold coins!
    P. S. Lose lips, sink ships.. In their case, 60 something percent taxes!

Don't be discouraged.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    4697 times
    if the shovel sinks into the ground it is detecting time. When the shovel bounces off the ground, time to go in and warm up for a few months.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2019
    North Attleboro, MA
    AT Gold, AT Max & ATX (new)
    318 times
    I go when ever I can. I went last Saturday and thought I had frost bite but I had a blast!
    coinman123, dsdigger and RustyGold like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    23382 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    I hunt year round, if the snow isn't to deep or has melted away. In the winter months if the ground is frozen, then I'm "forced" into the woods to find the goodies. Sometimes if it's really cold I will pass and dream about the better weather to come.

Charter Member
    us
    Diggin up TEXAS!

Sep 2009
    Fort Worth,Texas
    CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
    3459 times
    Luckily I can hunt year round with nothing to stop me!!....Oh wait....Until Summer comes around and there are 100+ temps for weeks straight.

I couldn't imagine living up north and having to deal with the snow...Hell, I'm complaining when its under 50 here lol

us
    Jun 2017
    Awendaw
    260 times
    Ends when turkey season starts and begins when deer season ends.
    coinman123, A2coins and dsdigger like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links