When Does Your Metal Detecting Season Typically Start and Finish?

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't been able to get out and metal detect for the past month, I tried to get out twice before we got some more snow a couple weeks ago, but it was too frozen to dig the first time, and the second time I managed to find a handful of nice colonial buttons, but nearly froze to death while doing so. What especially sucks is that December was probably my best month ever, but I had to stop for the weather by early January, with a stronger urge than ever to get out and metal detect. When do you guys call it quits for the season? I'm from NH, and normally I can still get out until late December or early January, though a storm may come earlier like is has some years and put an end to any winter metal detecting. I normally also am able to start again by late March, or April, though we sometimes get that one last storm in March that makes it impossible to get out for another 2 or 3 weeks. I wish I lived further south, where I could metal detect all year round, I'm envious of everyone in Today's Finds who is still able to get out.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also in NH and i follow your same schedule pretty much but i also try to extend the season or start earlier by taveling to massachusetts. Finding some south facing sites also helps. Those will be free off snow first and have softer ground. I also have a predator tools ranger shovel. Its got mean teeth and a D handle so i can get into that semi frozen ground. If you saw my other recent post, i was in waders and detecting a river swimming hole last week. I was in 200gram waders but if i was in 400 or higher i would have been a little more comfortable. The water temp was about 35 degrees. Air temp was 38 to 40. Zero wind. It was a good time and scratched the itch.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My season used to have no end, but after a few years of hard digging, a cabinet full of finds, and very few (new) places left to hunt I've become a bit more of a fair weather hunter. Now it seems my window is between 45°-90°F. Beyond that just means I'm desperate to get away from my wife and/or kids for a bit.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
It started for me in the summer of 77' and when I die the season will end.
If your ground is frozen and you can't take the withdrawal, go and find a grove of pine trees. The needles and other stuff nature provides typically keeps the ground from freezing solid.
I've been detecting through Michigan winters all of my life.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i live in calif so its 365 days a year,but we dont have the cool stuff you guys find in the east ,oh well.
brad

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems like it's either too cold or too hot to hunt here most of the time. That leaves spring and fall. Anymore, spring and fall seem to last about only 2 weeks each! Getting out whenever I can. Gary

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It started for me in the summer of 77' and when I die the season will end.
If your ground is frozen and you can't take the withdrawal, go and find a grove of pine trees. The needles and other stuff nature provides typically keeps the ground from freezing solid.
I've been detecting through Michigan winters all of my life.

In in NE Ohio, and haven’t been shut out yet this winter. When the grassy areas and field froze before the first good snows, I moved into the woods with its thick bed of leaf mulch to insulate the ground. My finds aren’t as stellar, but I’m finding old iron and lots of headstamps that get the heart pumping.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's a season ? ? ?

I'm in Florida... Season begins at daylight and ends when the crowds show up. :P

Wintertime can be brutal FOR ME anyway due to cold winds... but can be worth it ... a peak time for finds due to sand shifts ...

after storms are also "seasons". :)

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
i live in calif so its 365 days a year,but we dont have the cool stuff you guys find in the east ,oh well.
brad

Don't be discouraged by lack of human activity.
Some of the biggest and best coin caches ever found have been found in California.
The most recent that I can remember made national news..
A lady and her hubby out walking their new land and seen something shiny by the base of a tree.
Huge, HUGE cache of gold coins!
P. S. Lose lips, sink ships.. In their case, 60 something percent taxes!

Don't be discouraged.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if the shovel sinks into the ground it is detecting time. When the shovel bounces off the ground, time to go in and warm up for a few months.

Upham

Feb 27, 2019
North Attleboro, MA
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, AT Max & ATX (new)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go when ever I can. I went last Saturday and thought I had frost bite but I had a blast!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hunt year round, if the snow isn't to deep or has melted away. :laughing7: In the winter months if the ground is frozen, then I'm "forced" into the woods to find the goodies. Sometimes if it's really cold I will pass and dream about the better weather to come. :icon_thumleft:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luckily I can hunt year round with nothing to stop me!!....Oh wait....Until Summer comes around and there are 100+ temps for weeks straight.

I couldn't imagine living up north and having to deal with the snow...Hell, I'm complaining when its under 50 here lol

awdw

Jun 19, 2017
Awendaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ends when turkey season starts and begins when deer season ends.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't be discouraged by lack of human activity.
Some of the biggest and best coin caches ever found have been found in California.
The most recent that I can remember made national news..
A lady and her hubby out walking their new land and seen something shiny by the base of a tree.
Huge, HUGE cache of gold coins!
P. S. Lose lips, sink ships.. In their case, 60 something percent taxes!

Don't be discouraged.

The capital gains tax on sale of gold coins is 28% max. Not sure where you are getting 60%? CA state taxes maybe? Gary

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im year round but havent got out yet this year toooooo crappy in Michigan

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im year round but havent got out yet this year toooooo crappy in Michigan

Hang in there the winter is almost over!

To answer the original question: My season goes year round. There have been some times where the ground was too frozen to get through but I still tried. If there's a lot of snow on the ground I will wait for it to melt. I plan to go today. I don't expect to find anything but I will try in the woods.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
my season starts as soon as i can get out in the first of the year after deer season and ends when deer season starts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread