E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A prominent "nose" where cut is common on many.
I don't see tradition trail trees in your pics , but am no authority on them either.

There is a white oak (?) in S.W. Mi. I've seen a photo of a nephew in front of.
Other too but none come to mind at the moment.
Farther North we looked over several definitely manipulated trees in the same area that were a bit too young to have been historic native caused.
Though , who did the manipulation was unknown.
Great Lakes Trail Marker Tree Society | Trail Marker Trees | Phot Gallery

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I see randomly occurring trees and branches. That don't necessarily "mark" anything. :dontknow:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will say there are very few true Indian marker trees now days. .Most are naturally occurring some are minuplated. What causes most trees to have the bend is when another tree falls on it as a young tree or sappling and bends the tree to the ground. As the limb or old tree rots the bent tree get strength and mass and grows towards the sun with a crooked bend.
I have discussed this with many foresters who were also artifact hounds. Big beach trees will hold carvings but as the tree grows and gets taller and wider the carvings get harder to read. I have some carving on trees from 50 years ago I did and you can still see them.
Hope this help when you see those trees are bent and up.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just look like trees to me. :dontknow:

Next question would be what were the Potawatomi Indians doing there in the 1930's? Maybe marking trails?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just look like trees to me. :dontknow:

Next question would be what were the Potawatomi Indians doing there in the 1930's? Maybe marking trails?

The United States Census of 1930 returned with a figure of 89 Potawatomi in Michigan. More roamed about prior to that whom had avoided removal. Not sure how accurate a survey was.
Maybe wandering old trails more than remarking them , but who knows?

I don't want to know the o.p.'s location , but there are sites know for certain traditional purposes. Would not be a surprise had some been revisited at times.

Other nations existed here too still.

Here's a group at a C.C.C. camp in the thirties.
mhc_mhm_marquette_enrollees_46093_7.gif

Last edited:

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I concur with Tnmountains, those trees have long disappeared from the landscape.

I cut a lot of firewood in my woods and am out there often. I see all sorts of odd trees. Especially now with many falling due to the emerald ash borer. They tops and large limbs fall on smaller trees causing misshapes.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
A prominent "nose" where cut is common on many.
I don't see tradition trail trees in your pics , but am no authority on them either.

There is a white oak (?) in S.W. Mi. I've seen a photo of a nephew in front of.
Other too but none come to mind at the moment.
Farther North we looked over several definitely manipulated trees in the same area that were a bit too young to have been historic native caused.
Though , who did the manipulation was unknown.
Great Lakes Trail Marker Tree Society | Trail Marker Trees | Phot Gallery
True, no "nose" or "bow" (elbow in our area), NO "marker' tree.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would Indians be making marker trees in the 1930s. With all the logging roads to walk on and there were automobiles to travel in that era.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you doi g some research this winter is crappy I havent even got out yet this year and another artic blast min and tues I know there was lots of Indian activity around here so ya never know .

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Why would Indians be making marker trees in the 1930s. With all the logging roads to walk on and there were automobiles to travel in that era.

Why are you focused on 1930?

The/A group that documents them seeks 250 year old or older trees.

IF a native created a trail or marker tree in the thirties it would be for their own reason. (?)

Trees could be stunted by being manipulated. Time of year started. Drought , fire , ect. too.

A qualified forester is better at estimating age than a casual observer.
Oaks can live for centuries. Maple were used as were elms and others. Elm disease took it's toll on the elm though.

Anyways, if it is believed through perception that age limits a tree's life to less than 150-200 years and means no trees exist from pre-1930 ; that is an error of a theory.

Here's an estimated 350 year old.
800px-Trail_Marker_Tree_in_White_County,_IN_known_as_'Grandfather'.jpg

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because 2 other posters mentioned the 1930's. I was questioning that too. Why the 1930's?

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... What causes most trees to have the bend is when another tree falls on it as a young tree or sappling and bends the tree to the ground.....

Aaaahh, the "more plausible explanation". Ok. Fair explanation of odd-shaped branches. And I notice the curious word "most". I guess this holds out the hope that some curious and uncanny shapes could mean: Treasure. Eh ?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Aaaahh, the "more plausible explanation". Ok. Fair explanation of odd-shaped branches. And I notice the curious word "most". I guess this holds out the hope that some curious and uncanny shapes could mean: Treasure. Eh ?

You know of any proven Euro/Spanish /Alien treasures marked by native trail/marker trees? :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
You know of any proven Euro/Spanish /Alien treasures marked by native trail/marker trees? :laughing7:

No. But that doesn't prove that "un-canny tree shapes" don't point to treasure. It just proves that ......... durned them guys for planting all the decoy markers, and durned mother nature for making a bunch that have naturally occurring explanations :dontknow:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
No. But that doesn't prove that "un-canny tree shapes" don't point to treasure. It just proves that ......... durned them guys for planting all the decoy markers, and durned mother nature for making a bunch that have naturally occurring explanations :dontknow:

There are some neat shapes and stresses shown on some.
Winter snow and ice can factor too.

As kids there was a tree in an isolated chunk of state forest we ran that some one long ago had made two horizontal cuts on the trunk , and then cut vertical on the sides to remove a slab of trunk about 12x 16 inches.
With heartwood missing the bark still kept the tree living.
Bulged bark covered edges and ends of cuts hinted at it being an old injury.

Pictures would be fun to show a leprechauns stash for gold , but alas....

It was a "bee tree". (No , I don't have solid evidence of what happened.)
Honey bees being Euro introductions , it could have been deemed foreign treasure by who ever "lined" the bee's and found their "gold"?

Don't recall the dates on newspapers pasted on the walls of a janky saggy tiny several square foot shack for insulation nearby. (Within a half mile probably) but with no known other dwellings the time frame /age suited the tree's violation , to us kids anyway.
Making a few combs of honey worth even more to whom ever stayed there.

There is the story of "Boomer" who wheeled and dealed fish from railcar to a village near , and his relocation to a steel shack after being threatened by competition , and that may have been his earlier bee find. And board shack.
Summers meant his car parked in a usual area at a usual time with the door open and water for his dog while he wet his whistle at a certain place.
Wonder if anything points at his hidden money? If any survived him.

That bee tree was a landmark for us though. Who ever found it/marked it first. It's opening faced the "old" dirt road distant enough to not be seen till winter. And that only if traffic was on it.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I suppose you spoil Easter for your grandkids as well?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some neat shapes and stresses shown on some.
Winter snow and ice can factor too.

As kids there was a tree in an isolated chunk of state forest we ran that some one long ago had made two horizontal cuts on the trunk , and then cut vertical on the sides to remove a slab of trunk about 12x 16 inches.
With heartwood missing the bark still kept the tree living.
Bulged bark covered edges and ends of cuts hinted at it being an old injury.

Pictures would be fun to show a leprechauns stash for gold , but alas....

It was a "bee tree". (No , I don't have solid evidence of what happened.)
Honey bees being Euro introductions , it could have been deemed foreign treasure by who ever "lined" the bee's and found their "gold"?

Don't recall the dates on newspapers pasted on the walls of a janky saggy tiny several square foot shack for insulation nearby. (Within a half mile probably) but with no known other dwellings the time frame /age suited the tree's violation , to us kids anyway.
Making a few combs of honey worth even more to whom ever stayed there.

There is the story of "Boomer" who wheeled and dealed fish from railcar to a village near , and his relocation to a steel shack after being threatened by competition , and that may have been his earlier bee find. And board shack.
Summers meant his car parked in a usual area at a usual time with the door open and water for his dog while he wet his whistle at a certain place.
Wonder if anything points at his hidden money? If any survived him.

That bee tree was a landmark for us though. Who ever found it/marked it first. It's opening faced the "old" dirt road distant enough to not be seen till winter. And that only if traffic was on it.

Sounds like a tree that happened to fall on a land boundary. Surveyors would cut a "window" out so they could run a true line. They usually hammered in a small nail as a sight. Made figuring things easier.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread