Are you using sun screen or at least a brimmed hat?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Are you using sun screen or at least a brimmed hat?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    13173 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)

Are you using sun screen or at least a brimmed hat?

I used to never worry about the sun except when on the water. I always have worn ball caps, have close to 30 nice ones. But now, I have to protect the tops of my ears, they tend to blister easier now and I have a couple of spots that I keep tabs on. I had tried to let my hair get longer to protect them but my hair isn't what it once was. So it is hats for me and sun screen when I remember it. But is isn't just ear tops to worry about and so I also tend to wear some very light weight light colored long sleeve shirts in the summer. Besides the sun, the long sleeves help some with the mosquitoes. Besides, can you really trust the protection level on the sun screens? So I go to the local thrift shop and watch for decent hats to wear detecting, cheap and so what if something happens to them. That is also where I get most of my detecting clothes, got 3 pairs of nice overalls for $15 total a week ago and two very nice pairs of Carhartt pants with the extra knee protection. Summer means light colored clothing and lots to drink.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    3382 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I’m a lot more aware now than I used to be, after being diagnosed with melanoma at age 50.

Not fun.
    Neither is having a big chunk of your face cut off.
    dirtlooter, dsdigger, chub and 1 others like this.

us
    Apr 2009
    Indiana
    Fisher F70
    2235 times
    I wear a tilly hat when out, plus sunscreen on the arms, neck and elsewhere. After a while it almost feels odd not to be lathered up with it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tilly.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	1686470
    The Tilly hat are not cheap, they are well made and last forvever it seems. I have two different styles. I have baseball caps also, but when raining or sunshine, these hats keep the rain off your neck.

I was in New Orleans a year back and a crazy thunderstorm hit lasting the better part of two days. So I purchased my second tilly and a poncho, good to party. Easy to pack for travel. Great hat.
    dirtlooter, dsdigger and Phil like this.

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    3593 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The Tilly is a nice hat, but I'm too cheap to spend the money on myself, so I use knock-offs. I sometimes lather up, but not totally convinced that sunscreens that melt plastic are not doing more harm than good.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

GB1
    us
    Classic car lover

Jul 2017
    East TX
    Teknectics eurotek pro bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2 used a teroso compadre.
    21345 times
    baseball cards,hunting,bottle digging,coin roll hunting,shooting,Metal Detecting, swimming,
    Banner Finds (1)
    i wear a camo boonie hat
    audemus jura nostra defendere

neque deditionem

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    3382 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    My summer time hat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F6FF6018-8E48-49FC-BF4E-3E8D08A28CBE.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	1686502  

us
    Oct 2014
    Amboy Wa.
    AT Pro. Equinox.
    573 times
    Metal Detecting
    I only wear a hat to keep the rain off my glasses, but then I do live in the Pacific NW.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    34144 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Thank you for sharing!
    dirtlooter, Trezurehunter and Phil like this.

us
    Jan 2007
    morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
    1319 times
    Can i get back to you about summer clothes, after todays snowstorm?
    Phil likes this.
    No longer politically correct

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    3593 times
    Quote Originally Posted by holepuncher View Post
    I only wear a hat to keep the rain off my glasses, but then I do live in the Pacific NW.
    And the ashes from the forest fires...

Our daughter lives in the PNW and spoke of the rain. You may get more slightly rainy days, but we have received far more rain in the past year or two, due to all the storms that dump 10" or more a day. Climate change has changed the old rules about who gets more rain and who gets more forest fires.
    dsdigger likes this.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

us
    Feb 2019
    Vernon, Texas
    Equinox 800
    22 times
    Metal Detecting
    I typically wear a ball cap but I may be a bit below the average age of most on this forum. I also just ordered my "beach better have my money" t-shirt. Cant wait to wear it out coin-shooting.
    dsdigger likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jeff

Jan 2017
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
    1181 times
    I wear a ball cap now. Used to go without but the loss of hair has rendered part of my head susceptible to catching too many rays now. Now longer a sun-worshiper, I go long-sleeved, light colors and watch exposure time.
    chub and RustyGold like this.

us
    Sep 2013
    Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
    9857 times
    I only detect at night.
    The sun screws up my depth.

BC

Mar 2019
    11 times
    Conical hats typically hit the back of your pack when you look up and around. Very annoying. Check out the sunday afternoon's adventure hat instead. I'd also recommend bringing sunscreen. Good for the backs of your hands, and your nose and neck and avoiding cancer.

Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher
    Last edited by slide95; Mar 12, 2019 at 12:39 PM.

us
    Dec 2014
    Minnesota
    X TERRA 705, Ace 250
    4 times
    I either use a knock off of a boonie type hat or the baseball type fishing hat with the longer bill and neck cloth that hangs off the caps back. ( gives it a Lawrence of Arabia look) I wear my SunRay Pro ( ear phones) right over the top and it covers the ears.
    RustyGold likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links