Are you using sun screen or at least a brimmed hat?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I used to never worry about the sun except when on the water. I always have worn ball caps, have close to 30 nice ones. But now, I have to protect the tops of my ears, they tend to blister easier now and I have a couple of spots that I keep tabs on. I had tried to let my hair get longer to protect them but my hair isn't what it once was. So it is hats for me and sun screen when I remember it. But is isn't just ear tops to worry about and so I also tend to wear some very light weight light colored long sleeve shirts in the summer. Besides the sun, the long sleeves help some with the mosquitoes. Besides, can you really trust the protection level on the sun screens? So I go to the local thrift shop and watch for decent hats to wear detecting, cheap and so what if something happens to them. That is also where I get most of my detecting clothes, got 3 pairs of nice overalls for $15 total a week ago and two very nice pairs of Carhartt pants with the extra knee protection. Summer means light colored clothing and lots to drink.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m a lot more aware now than I used to be, after being diagnosed with melanoma at age 50.

Not fun.
Neither is having a big chunk of your face cut off.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I wear a tilly hat when out, plus sunscreen on the arms, neck and elsewhere. After a while it almost feels odd not to be lathered up with it.
tilly.jpg
The Tilly hat are not cheap, they are well made and last forvever it seems. I have two different styles. I have baseball caps also, but when raining or sunshine, these hats keep the rain off your neck.

I was in New Orleans a year back and a crazy thunderstorm hit lasting the better part of two days. So I purchased my second tilly and a poncho, good to party. Easy to pack for travel. Great hat.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tilly is a nice hat, but I'm too cheap to spend the money on myself, so I use knock-offs. I sometimes lather up, but not totally convinced that sunscreens that melt plastic are not doing more harm than good.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i wear a camo boonie hat

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only wear a hat to keep the rain off my glasses, but then I do live in the Pacific NW.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only wear a hat to keep the rain off my glasses, but then I do live in the Pacific NW.

And the ashes from the forest fires...

Our daughter lives in the PNW and spoke of the rain. You may get more slightly rainy days, but we have received far more rain in the past year or two, due to all the storms that dump 10" or more a day. Climate change has changed the old rules about who gets more rain and who gets more forest fires.

70ss454

Greenie
Feb 23, 2019
Vernon, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I typically wear a ball cap but I may be a bit below the average age of most on this forum. I also just ordered my "beach better have my money" t-shirt. Cant wait to wear it out coin-shooting.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear a ball cap now. Used to go without but the loss of hair has rendered part of my head susceptible to catching too many rays now. Now longer a sun-worshiper, I go long-sleeved, light colors and watch exposure time.

slide95

Mar 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Conical hats typically hit the back of your pack when you look up and around. Very annoying. Check out the sunday afternoon's adventure hat instead. I'd also recommend bringing sunscreen. Good for the backs of your hands, and your nose and neck and avoiding cancer.

Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher

Last edited:

Minlooker

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2014
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
X TERRA 705, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I either use a knock off of a boonie type hat or the baseball type fishing hat with the longer bill and neck cloth that hangs off the caps back. ( gives it a Lawrence of Arabia look) I wear my SunRay Pro ( ear phones) right over the top and it covers the ears.

seoking

Mar 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need both hat and sunscreen

You won't see a problem until 20 years from now when you get skin cancer

Of course it depends on the darkeness of your skin

shekhar81899

Jun 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cone shaped caps ordinarily hit the back of your pack when you gaze upward and around. Exceptionally irritating. Look at the sunday evening's experience cap. I'd likewise suggest bringing sunscreen. Useful for the backs of your hands, and your nose and neck and maintaining a strategic distance from malignant growth.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i cover myself when water hunting - have a bunch of friends in Fla. that have all been treated for skin cancer cause they thought they were imune cause they live down there
or grew up down there and their skin was used to it
cover up :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread