Question about my tesoro tejon

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a used tejon few months ago. I put new alkaline batteries in it and worked fine for about 6 hours. I went out the following day and everything works fine for about 30 min and then the machine just starts beeping everywhere and doesn't stop or less I shut it off. Any idea what would cause this? I checked all the connections and everything seems tight. And I also tried using lithium batteries. Same issue.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it exposed to more moisture on the 2nd day? If so, sounds like a bad coil.

OP
OP
Kype

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice. I will try cleaning it first. Has some dirt on it but not much. Hoping it's not the coil. To my understanding is tesoro is out of business? So finding a replacement coil would be difficult

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fortunately coils are all over Ebay and other sites if you need one. I always carry a spare one, as it is different and conditions in the field can change. Take the connection apart at the box and make sure it's clean. A lose or broken wire going to the coil may do it. Make sure unit is totally dry, when you start it up again, if it misbehaves, slowly and gently turn the wire going from the coil to the box and see if anything happens.

OP
OP
Kype

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fortunately coils are all over Ebay and other sites if you need one. I always carry a spare one, as it is different and conditions in the field can change. Take the connection apart at the box and make sure it's clean. A lose or broken wire going to the coil may do it. Make sure unit is totally dry, when you start it up again, if it misbehaves, slowly and gently turn the wire going from the coil to the box and see if anything happens.

Will do. Thank you

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, I think Tesoro is still doing repairs, but I just wouldn't send it in unless I got a communication from someone there. I heard they are still trying to honor their warranties.

Also, a good electronics technician can most likely fix it as they are not rocket science.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the battery flat when you remove it?

chub

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might also try CLEANING the battery holders ) Fine emery paper . Some times the holders build up residue! keep us posted Also with the detector setting still try touching the coil wire at the coil and control box wiggle it . Make sure you have no rings or watch on near the coil

Last edited:

john845

Dec 26, 2017
Newburgh ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Class III SL. Spectrum xlt Tesoro Vaquero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a similar problem with my vaquero. I found what that what happened was that a solder joint broke inside the coil connection. The part on end of the wire that you push into the housing. There is a little spring that you depress on it and then the cover can be slid down the wire. This will expose the solder connections. I found it easier to grasp the plastic part with a pair of pliers lightly so you don't damage it. Hope this helps.

john845

Dec 26, 2017
Newburgh ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Class III SL. Spectrum xlt Tesoro Vaquero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find a broken connection I would recommend having someone resolder it who is qualified. It is a tight area and pretty difficult.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check your sensitivity and ground balance setting. Maybe the ground conditions have changed. Also...are you around underground cables or overhead lines? EMI can drive a person crazy. If you rule those out then like others have said, might be a bad coil.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First Check the coil, then make sure its not EMI! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread