am i detection to shallow of a depth????

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as some of you know i use the Garrett GTAX 550 and like most Garrett's they have the depth setting on it. no matter where i am i usually only have it set at 4 1/2 to 5 in. deep. is this too shallow. i was setting it deeper but i it seemed like i was finding larger trash objects at deeper depths when i had it set to say 7-9 inches. i was just wondering what y'all think and whats the best all around setting for that detector.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Set that 550 at 12 because its not always accurate.On my 550 coins were missed at 5 inches when i had it set at 9.The 550 will let you know if its iron on the left side of the screen.Swing your metal detector higher over the target if it still picks it up the iron piece is large.Beer cans will give a signal that bounces all over the coin side of your screen.Always hunt in all metal mode because the coin mode will miss signals that are deep.Most buttons will read from the nickel to almost 1 cent.Gold rings will show up between the nickel and pull tab.It takes time to get use to the 550 but dig everything and then you will know your targets.Hope this helped. aa

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Not familiar with your machine or the settings, but try to set it where it gets 4-5 inches. This is where most coins will be. I wouldn't worry about having a detector set at maximum depth in the first sweep of an area. If anything, you want to get all the surface coins/clad out of the way and hopefully find the easy good coins. After that is where you would want to up the depth/sens on a detector to get the deeper stuff that is left. The more I detect, the more convinced I become that depth is second to getting in between junk.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot also depends on the hardness of the soil where you are detecting. When I detect parks I find 95% of my coins at around 1"-3" Old homesteads, I go for all the gain the ground conditions will allow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread