Are Public Libraries OK To Detect Like Public Schools?

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I have a library which I've driven by for years, watching very many holiday and special events set up several times a year. It is a city library, yet it has the appearance of an upscale property. There is logically a mother load of lost items if nobody else has ventured onto the grounds with a metal detector.

Are public libraries generally open territory for detecting?

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't assume that all public schools can be detected. None in my area can - nor would I want to since they are all too new. Public libraries are under separate administrations than public schools anyway, so you would have to ask on a case by case basis.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Iv seen people do all kinds of things at the library. Just be very quiet when you do it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since tax payers pay for the Schools you would think until some walking thier dog going all over the grass complains lol

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, are you trying to get scolded at by an angry librarian? Because that's how you get scolded by an angry librarian!

One of the ways, anyway. The other way will cost you a whole bunch of singles.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
When I travel around, I do not hesitate to hit any old library lawn I come to . Yes: MD'ing is an odd hobby, that carries ... uh .... "connotations". Ie.: someone can think "he might leave a hole" or "gee what's he doing?". So go at low traffic times . Eg.: Well before or after their open-hours, or on their closed days, etc....

You can certainly walk inside and ask "Can I?", if you want. But just be prepared for the: "No one cared till you asked" psychology to be invoked.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since tax payers pay for the Schools you would think until some walking thier dog going all over the grass complains lol

Our schools are posted "no dog walking". I think that means running is ok.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been banned for six month. I am back enjoy reading Tom great interesting comments. Libraries lawns are public lands and we can enjoy searching for coins and jewels. Tom, is correct, never ask permission because they will always say NO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
# 7. Are you telling us, if we search on these lands, we must leave our dogs home?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our schools are posted "no dog walking". I think that means running is ok.
Mine hates it when the leash is dragging so she holds it in her mouth. Every time I get hassled, it's the old your dog needs to be on a leash. She is! No someone needs to be holding the leash! She is! Off they go waddling off shaking their heads smoke coming out their ears.

HINT Don't do this in Newport Beach Ca!!!!!!! Ended up with 9 count em 9 Life Guards, 3 jeeps, 3 cops in two units & a Life Guard Lt (I think he was) standing around for over 45 minutes debating the code. Ended up no one wanted to write the citation & have to explain to the judge and be embarrassed. There ya go! Your taxpayer $$$ hard at work.

A trick I use for areas like libraries is when confronted I've got everything in my trash pouch in my hand. First thing out my mouth is "Let me go throw this trash away." Has defused many confrontations over the years.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
My local library does not have any lawn to detect, but if it did, I would just go on Sunday when it's closed.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as your city does not have an ordinance against metal detecting. Remember to use your library voice when detecting and always wear headphones.

slide95

Mar 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't help but think that, just as having parents be present in the school validates the importance of school for children, having civic leaders be part of that school community interaction and inviting dialogue with your families validates the importance of civic engagement and contribution to these same children as well as to their families, and also validates for the civic leaders and service providers the importance of their role in supporting the children, their families, and education (including the school library). Sorry for being so long-winded...

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

Last edited:

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All the librarians I have known played for their own team.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Haha, the only bugaboo I have by that old pithy saying is: It implies that the doer is doing something wrong. Ie.: something erroneous or lawless, that it would "need forgiveness" in the first place. However, I happen to md'ing lawful, correct, safe, beneficial, nutritious, healthy, harmless, etc.... :)

But ... seriously now ..... I know what you're saying. There can ALWAYS be someone who sees it differently and wants to gripe :icon_salut:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you return all your finds within two weeks it should be fine.

chub

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
what was that comment on public land ? if thats true then i want to hunt he property around the white house ? what are my chances ? what would i expect to find ? lets see theres a big fence around it. nobody is allowed to go picnic there. you cant even lie down in in the cool grass under a shade tree and take a nap. i wonder what the property taxes are ? has the value decreased ? i'll keep wonderin ? i wonder if the pres. drinks my brand of beer ?

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Haha, the only bugaboo I have by that old pithy saying is: It implies that the doer is doing something wrong. Ie.: something erroneous or lawless, that it would "need forgiveness" in the first place. However, I happen to md'ing lawful, correct, safe, beneficial, nutritious, healthy, harmless, etc.... :)

But ... seriously now ..... I know what you're saying. There can ALWAYS be someone who sees it differently and wants to gripe :icon_salut:
i'm tired of being serious. and i'm tired of worryin ? cant we just get down to the nitty gritty ? i'm down with that.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could say a friend's kid got cut on a piece of metal (pull tab, nail, etc.) and you were just trying to make sure the area was safe, and cleared of trash.
You are in fact digging & removing trash.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread