March 14th , 1yr since FBI dig at Dents Run , TIME IS UP , Its time we talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
THANK YOU jeff that map and infor you gave me..... lots of ideas the coal mining was after the civil war ....the mine tunnels and equipment are there in that area ...so was many of miners who could of found the gold ...did FK ever show any photos of the core samples he took ???? ....entil i see something solid like a yellow color bar this could be as stupid as some japanese treasure story

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1691020 View attachment 1691021 View attachment 1691023 View attachment 1691032

Everyone knows when a dig like this is done you should have some dirt left over , well there is none, and a lot of the hillside is gone. So were did all that dirt go to , IN THE CAVE OPENING . If they did make it into the back of the cave to get to the silver then they would need more dirt to back fill .

Really .Well your wrong . There is always weight soil compression in un-natural ground after a site cut is back filled. I live on the most mined area in the world. 168 years worth .TP

Last edited:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,Gold has always been weighed in Troy Oz system . So the very idea of using the term Pounds is clear indication that the weight and the actual size of the gold bars is questionable . In a 1850's gold buyer guide large gold bullion bars where at made at sequence of 100 ounces up The Standard Gold Bar for the purpose of Reserve was 4oo Troy Ounces . Explain 50 pound gold bars please.TP

Last edited:

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
Dirt left over are u joking ...tinpan is right in both cases ( dirt and troy ounces ) ...if the government spent a half of million on what i seen so far they were fools ( Fool B I ) ... i only hope the state boys made the first move if this is the real thing but wait a minute u have it all on film or do u ...its hard for me to believe if they found one camera they would of searched for more and found them all

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
What i read from what jeff pointed out the time period of the mine tunnels would of been way after this robbery ...what i remember from digging in upstate N.Y. by hand this treasure what 4 feet deep.... 6 feet tops ...something not added up right (feds , state boys , weeper somebody going to look like a fool in the end )

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:coffee2: Time to go dig. Time to get off the net.

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
i have a question is there natural caves in this state park today ??? i know there was man made mining tunnels

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a question is there natural caves in this state park today ??? i know there was man made mining tunnels

This area has hundreds of rock out croppings that have crevices and holes you can crawl into. The hill tops have rocks half the size of houses. I know of no mining at the site where Dennis was digging.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's obvious the FBI were involved, but where are the photos of the FBI removing things from the hole? Even if we can't make out what it is (gold, silver or Jimmy Hoffa), with that much gold involved there should be a significant sequence of photos of removal of objects from the hole? Unless I missed them in this thread...but I'm just wondering where are those photos?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What i read from what jeff pointed out the time period of the mine tunnels would of been way after this robbery ...what i remember from digging in upstate N.Y. by hand this treasure what 4 feet deep.... 6 feet tops ...something not added up right (feds , state boys , weeper somebody going to look like a fool in the end )

Well it's obvious you must have special status around here.
I'll just come out and say it. Your coming off extremely rude.
No need for name calling. I didnt read any attacks that FK made towards yourself.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dozens of FBI agents ,armed perimeter 24/7 backhoes , tented , armored cars and aircraft ,.the government don't have this kind of show if there was nothing there if there was nothing there why spend a half million on this ....?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dozens of FBI agents ,armed perimeter 24/7 backhoes , tented , armored cars and aircraft ,.the government don't have this kind of show if there was nothing there if there was nothing there why spend a half million on this ....?

Exactly.
That's the elephant in the room. Who cares about the "found" vs. "located".
Or shooting holes in the legend.

There is a huge mystery here as to why the FBI responded to FK in such a show of force.
That doesn't happen very often, I'm sure. They were provided something other than an interesting story.

I'm appreciative that info is being given and there are some pics of the dig.

FK is not required to share info here, in fact he is probably taking some liability in doing so.
I think people should keep that in mind and try to be civil.

Last edited:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when you had said you found tire tracks that in the middle of the night looked like someone had took the treasure, now your saying it was the FBI and the trucks didn't show up till the morning. When telling a story it would be best to keep it striaght, I wonder if I said I found millions in gold without proof would this site ban me?

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
I bet Tom has "the shakes" by now LOLOLOLOL!!!!!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He knows better, however with all the free pot shots being thrown around, he will likely pop in here soon enough and end up getting punished.

Chase7628

Mar 6, 2018
CICERO NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FinderKeeper , did you ever submit any FOIA requests on the subject, I am sure you have, but wondering if you got anywhere with that...best of luck on this endevour! Keep us posted!

timex

Nov 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the meantime, too help pass some time, tim.

dents 1.jpg

BENEZETTE — A historian who has spent decades researching the Civil War era gold rumored to have been lost near Benezette, Elk County, says he is wary of what will be found in the Federal Bureau of Investigation search currently under way in Dents Run.

“I was a little bit shocked when I heard (of the search),” said Jim Burke, a resident and member of the Mt. Zion Historical Society. That is partially because of the hurdles it takes to have such a search granted, and partially because he has his own theories about the gold.

Agents from the FBI and representatives of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) set up a search area off of Route 555, on Dents Run Road in Benezette Township Tuesday.

FBI spokeswoman Nora Scheland, who was on site, said agents were conducting court authorized law enforcement activity. As of Wednesday, spokespeople for the FBI say there is still no update on the activity there, but have confirmed there is no threat to the public.

Finders Keepers, a local lost treasure location and recovery service, which was found on scene, responded to repeated messages from the Courier Express saying, “We are under orders not to talk about this site YET.”

For some time, many have believed that a lost Civil War gold shipment that went through northern Pennsylvania during the battle of Gettysburg has been lost or hidden in Elk County.

In 1863, a Union wagon train left Wheeling, W.V. with 52 bars of gold, each weighing 50 lb., which were meant to pay Union soldiers. The wagon train was to travel northeast through Pennsylvania to Ridgway and then head southeast to Harrisburg. It made it to St. Marys and that was the last time it was seen. The wagons and dead solders were found later — but not the gold.

In 2012, Finders Keepers said it found the gold, but federal law kept them from digging for it.

According to current market value, the gold bars would be worth more than $55 million. But Burke isn’t sure that if the search is successful that all of them will be found there.

You see, Finders Keepers aren’t the only ones who have been looking for the legendary Civil War era gold haul. Burke has too.

“I’ve looked for the gold and have had a private investigator from Washington, D.C. go through our archives (at the historical society),” Burke said in a phone interview Wednesday afternoon.

He said the story of the gold is multi-layered — some of it rooted in legend and other elements in documented fact.

According to the story Burke has pieced together over many years, three men came out of the gold train alive.

The person who was leading it, Lt. Castleton is said to have come down with typhoid fever and in his delusion, divulged the secret of what the wagon train was carrying somewhere around its last stop in St. Marys.

Other characters on the trip were a man known as O’Rourke, who was a ruthless character, as well as a man known as Conners. There are 10 said to have been in the train in total and not all of them have been accounted for.

Legend has it that Conners and two other unnamed men walked out before the wagon train met its storied end. Legend has it that Conners said that end was “over Thunder Mountain near Hicks Run.” All three went into the Civil War, but only Conners survived. He is said to have gotten drunk on numerous occasions on his return from war and would tell others in the bar — “I know where there’s gold back in the hills of Pennsylvania.” Ultimately, he died while building roads in California.

Another part of the story Burke found in searching for the gold is that when a company was surveying the Elk and Cameron county lines when Cameron branched out on its own, seven skeletons were found in the hollow of Bell Draft, near the tributary of Hicks Run.

At that time (circa the late 1800s-early 1900s), the Pinkerton Detective Agency came to the area and lore has it that 3.5 gold bars were found. After some of the detectives left the agency, they were said to have spent the rest of their lives in the area looking for the rest of the gold.

Historian shocked FBI searching Dents Run, warns about findings | Local News | thecourierexpress.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread