Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree552Likes

Thread: March 14th , 1yr since FBI dig at Dents Run , TIME IS UP , Its time we talk.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2016
    2177 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by b3y0nd3r View Post
    I bet Tom has "the shakes" by now LOLOLOLOL!!!!!
    No - Tom does have special status when it comes to this topic.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    Aug 2011
    ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
    1092 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    No - Tom does have special status when it comes to this topic.
    Do you know what "the shakes" are?
    Bucket list still needed:
    • Silver thimble
    • Spanish silver
    • seated half
    • flying eagle
    • early copper
    • 1700's coin
    • 1600's coin
    • silver 3 cent piece
    • nickel 3 cent piece
    • seated quarter
    • capped bust silver
    • draped bust silver
    • silver dollar

Mar 2016
    2177 times
    He knows better, however with all the free pot shots being thrown around, he will likely pop in here soon enough and end up getting punished.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    Dirt Fisherman

Mar 2018
    CICERO NY
    20 times
    FinderKeeper , did you ever submit any FOIA requests on the subject, I am sure you have, but wondering if you got anywhere with that...best of luck on this endevour! Keep us posted!

Nov 2015
    53 times
    In the meantime, too help pass some time, tim.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dents 1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	515.1 KB 
ID:	1691116

BENEZETTE — A historian who has spent decades researching the Civil War era gold rumored to have been lost near Benezette, Elk County, says he is wary of what will be found in the Federal Bureau of Investigation search currently under way in Dents Run.

“I was a little bit shocked when I heard (of the search),” said Jim Burke, a resident and member of the Mt. Zion Historical Society. That is partially because of the hurdles it takes to have such a search granted, and partially because he has his own theories about the gold.

Agents from the FBI and representatives of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) set up a search area off of Route 555, on Dents Run Road in Benezette Township Tuesday.

FBI spokeswoman Nora Scheland, who was on site, said agents were conducting court authorized law enforcement activity. As of Wednesday, spokespeople for the FBI say there is still no update on the activity there, but have confirmed there is no threat to the public.

Finders Keepers, a local lost treasure location and recovery service, which was found on scene, responded to repeated messages from the Courier Express saying, “We are under orders not to talk about this site YET.”

For some time, many have believed that a lost Civil War gold shipment that went through northern Pennsylvania during the battle of Gettysburg has been lost or hidden in Elk County.

In 1863, a Union wagon train left Wheeling, W.V. with 52 bars of gold, each weighing 50 lb., which were meant to pay Union soldiers. The wagon train was to travel northeast through Pennsylvania to Ridgway and then head southeast to Harrisburg. It made it to St. Marys and that was the last time it was seen. The wagons and dead solders were found later — but not the gold.

In 2012, Finders Keepers said it found the gold, but federal law kept them from digging for it.

According to current market value, the gold bars would be worth more than $55 million. But Burke isn’t sure that if the search is successful that all of them will be found there.

You see, Finders Keepers aren’t the only ones who have been looking for the legendary Civil War era gold haul. Burke has too.

“I’ve looked for the gold and have had a private investigator from Washington, D.C. go through our archives (at the historical society),” Burke said in a phone interview Wednesday afternoon.

He said the story of the gold is multi-layered — some of it rooted in legend and other elements in documented fact.

According to the story Burke has pieced together over many years, three men came out of the gold train alive.

The person who was leading it, Lt. Castleton is said to have come down with typhoid fever and in his delusion, divulged the secret of what the wagon train was carrying somewhere around its last stop in St. Marys.

Other characters on the trip were a man known as O’Rourke, who was a ruthless character, as well as a man known as Conners. There are 10 said to have been in the train in total and not all of them have been accounted for.

Legend has it that Conners and two other unnamed men walked out before the wagon train met its storied end. Legend has it that Conners said that end was “over Thunder Mountain near Hicks Run.” All three went into the Civil War, but only Conners survived. He is said to have gotten drunk on numerous occasions on his return from war and would tell others in the bar — “I know where there’s gold back in the hills of Pennsylvania.” Ultimately, he died while building roads in California.

Another part of the story Burke found in searching for the gold is that when a company was surveying the Elk and Cameron county lines when Cameron branched out on its own, seven skeletons were found in the hollow of Bell Draft, near the tributary of Hicks Run.

At that time (circa the late 1800s-early 1900s), the Pinkerton Detective Agency came to the area and lore has it that 3.5 gold bars were found. After some of the detectives left the agency, they were said to have spent the rest of their lives in the area looking for the rest of the gold.

Historian shocked FBI searching Dents Run, warns about findings | Local News | thecourierexpress.com
    G.A.P.metal and Toecutter like this.

Nov 2015
    53 times
    Adding, I did a quick Google search, from the article above.

FBI spokeswoman Nora Scheland

Interesting, tim

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9627 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    He knows better, however with all the free pot shots being thrown around, he will likely pop in here soon enough and end up getting punished.
    Couple of things: Yes, I noticed that dissenting views *seemed* to be getting allowed on this latest thread on the subject. And sure, I would love to add my thoughts on some of what's being said. But ... no .... I have resisted all-but a token sentence or two. I think the facts are speaking loudly for themselves already.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Aug 2011
    ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
    1092 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Couple of things: Yes, I noticed that dissenting views *seemed* to be getting allowed on this latest thread on the subject. And sure, I would love to add my thoughts on some of what's being said. But ... no .... I have resisted all-but a token sentence or two. I think the facts are speaking loudly for themselves already.
    BWHAHAHAHAHAHA I love it! It's hard to sit there ole buddy isn't it?
    Tom_in_CA likes this.
    Bucket list still needed:
    • Silver thimble
    • Spanish silver
    • seated half
    • flying eagle
    • early copper
    • 1700's coin
    • 1600's coin
    • silver 3 cent piece
    • nickel 3 cent piece
    • seated quarter
    • capped bust silver
    • draped bust silver
    • silver dollar

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    29781 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by b3y0nd3r View Post
    I bet Tom has "the shakes" by now LOLOLOLOL!!!!!
    I Don't Care who you are !

That's Funny ! Sorry Tom

Seriously ! Only Member with "Special Status" is FK, because it's his thread.
    he doesn't Break rules though so it's a non issue.

& Yes IF I See what I Consider an attack on his word, You can be assured I will delete it !
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Mar 15, 2019 at 11:41 AM.
    b3y0nd3r and Bud Aurum like this.

us
    Owner

Apr 2007
    Clearfield Pa. and Oak Ridge ,Nova Scotia
    GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar & a lot more
    1121 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase7628 View Post
    FinderKeeper , did you ever submit any FOIA requests on the subject, I am sure you have, but wondering if you got anywhere with that...best of luck on this endevour! Keep us posted!
    My lawyer has filed FOIA paper work many times against DCNR and the FBI to get info in their files. On March 18th he files our brief and that the end of the paperwork then we sit and wait for a answer.. If we do not get what we want then we will do what we can to get this into Federal Court. We will do everything to get to the truth of what happened at Dents Run.

us
    Owner

Apr 2007
    1121 times
    Exactly.
    That's the elephant in the room. Who cares about the "found" vs. "located".
    Or shooting holes in the legend.

There is a huge mystery here as to why the FBI responded to FK in such a show of force.
    That doesn't happen very often, I'm sure. They were provided something other than an interesting story.

I'm appreciative that info is being given and there are some pics of the dig.

FK is not required to share info here, in fact he is probably taking some liability in doing so.
    I think people should keep that in mind and try to be civil.
    Thank You , To many members here are not getting the story right and they start saying things that are so wrong, Hay so be it to them , I can not go back and tell the story over and over again, sorry .
    There is a reason I posted the pictures of the first hole dig. And yes I think the scan will prove their was no more gold found or located at 3' to 4' down . WE believe someone put the metal in that area a few years ago. This is part of what the investigation is about , and that's all I will say for now. I did not show all the pictures of that dig because things happen that we need to hold back on for now. So say what you want , we have the proof and soon I hope to show it all. I come here and bash the FBI and DCNR big time and why do I do it, Because I have the proof, You try what I am doing and see what happens. If they come at me , Then I will tell it all and I am sure they don't want that to happen.

us
    Jan 2017
    Pennsylvania
    113 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    I Don't Care who you are !

That's Funny ! Sorry Tom

Seriously ! Only Member with "Special Status" is FK, because it's his thread.
    he doesn't Break rules though so it's a non issue.

& Yes IF I See what I Consider an attack on his word, You can be assured I will delete it !
    At this point, how could anyone question something BIG did not go down? Or you think FK hired actors?

The FBI was there to investigate a possible treasure and the involvement of DCNR's possible meddling.
    We know there were artifacts, readings for gold & Silver and a skeleton.
    What would cause the FBI to mislead FK, then take whatever they found? And then Hush Hush...?

Only a fortune would be my first conclusion.
    Maybe the skeleton is someone famous?
    A meteorite?
    Any other ideas?

Your Bud Aurum
    jeff of pa likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2015
    New Bedford, MA
    White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
    653 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MDCLXVI View Post
    So far u have shown no proof of treasure ...i hope you do have REAL legal photos of on site gold bars being removed and your lawyer finds grounds for a suit ... those gold bars if they exist are still us government property ( like the ones in fort knox) ...this case might drag on for many years good luck (but i think this is plain waste of tax payers money )
    I do disagree with this part to an extent. While I do not want the government chasing treasure legends, if the FBI received a credible lead on missing United States gold and spent $500,000 (the random number being guesstimated) for $400 million (another guesstimate) in bullion to add to its coffers, then I would say that is a great ROI.

That said, we have not seen that figure A has led to figure B.

I just don't see this potential cache OF THEIR OWN MONEY worth being so secretive about. "Thanks to leads, we found our missing money" is simple enough. FK has absolutely no stake to this claim other than getting credit for finding it, if found. Occam's Razor suggests that there really was nothing there because there is no point in hiding that they found it. It's not even a huge dollar amount when talking in government terms.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2015
    New Bedford, MA
    White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
    653 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Aurum View Post
    At this point, how could anyone question something BIG did not go down? Or you think FK hired actors?

The FBI was there to investigate a possible treasure and the involvement of DCNR's possible meddling.
    We know there were artifacts, readings for gold & Silver and a skeleton.
    What would cause the FBI to mislead FK, then take whatever they found? And then Hush Hush...?

Only a fortune would be my first conclusion.
    Maybe the skeleton is someone famous?
    A meteorite?
    Any other ideas?

Your Bud Aurum
    I don't think anyone is arguing that the FBI was on site. I also don't think anyone is arguing that they were there to investigate the possibility of a cache of their lost funds.

us
    Owner

Apr 2007
    1121 times
    OK so someone buried 2 metal objects in the 1st hole area at 3' to 4' down , then in the silver area were someone dug back a few years ago we now have iron readings at 7' down under and this is were the silver is at 12'. Never had iron reading before they dug up our site. The FBI was to remove the iron from all holes to date it and prove if my police report back a few years ago was right. If the people that dug at the site made it down to 7' did they remove anything if so how much and were did it go. This is just part of the investigation they were to do. We had some illegal offers to go and dig the site up, NO BOND NEEDED, just dig and go but there was a price to pay. NEED I SAY MORE. This is going to make a great movie some day. AS I said before there are things we can not talk about YET.

Tomorrow I may post 1 more picture of them at hole 1
    still thinking about it .
    Last edited by FinderKeeper; Mar 15, 2019 at 12:58 PM.

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links