handheld GPS and metal detecting???

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
anyone here bring along a GPS with them while out hunting? I dont mean so you can find your way back, but i mean marking "waypoints" of areas where you found something. for example. while your out hunting, lets say you found a liberty standing. you could mark the exact area where you found it. so if you back you could look again in the same area? or if you want to mark an old house site deep in the woods. or if your hunting a huge field. i would like to know exactly where i found something.

i know some GPS can save like 200 or more way points. i always thought it would be a cool idea to see on GPS exactly where you found something. also you could get a birds eye view of the land your hunting. i have been thinking about picking up a garmin etrex20 or etrex30. :icon_thumleft:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
While GPS devices are wonderful tools, if I wanted to return next week or next year to the exact spot I had found something, I would use the GPS in conjunction with notes and photo images. I believe you will find that in most cases a GPS unit, at best, would be accurate and repeatable to within several meters.

Time for more coffee.

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Garmin 64 which works great. Once I mark my finds I plot them, and save them, on Google Earth. Also, when on Google Earth I can get a drone view of nearby areas that may be interesting so I plug those coordinates into the gps in order to search them at a later date. Extremely valuable tool!!

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do but its to get back. Not a very good sence of direction and i hunt in the woods. Got lost once and had friends beeping there car horns to get me back. Next day i bought a garmin :)

Upham

Feb 27, 2019
North Attleboro, MA
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, AT Max & ATX (new)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a old Garmin Map 76 I bring along most of the time. I use it to find my way back to my truck and to mark spots I want to come back to. Because of this site I'm going to mark features that I know of in my area to see how they map out. Who knows?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions