Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: WHAT is your favoite bug repellant for TICKS & CHIGGERS and other nasty critters?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GMT, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    3031 times
    Prospecting
    really simple....Permethrin on your clothing, and Picaridin on your skin = No Ticks!
    Jim
    ToddsPoint likes this.

us
    Apr 2009
    1442 times
    A lot of those bug sprays are loaded with chemicals. The following are all natural and safe for the whole family!

MUD

Although it may not seem fancy, mysterious or something a medicine man might whip up, mud provided American Indians protection from mosquitoes when they applied it to their exposed skin. A thick layer of mud is seemingly less attractive to mosquitoes than plain old skin, potentially masking some of the aroma that attracts mosquitoes in the first place.

Rancid Alligator Fat
    Most humans may not think rancid alligator fat would be delicious, and apparently the same holds true for mosquitoes' tastes. This greasy substance was applied to exposed skin by the Akokisa tribe of the Houston, Texas, area. Other tribes used a similar method, smearing on a grease made from the fat of raccoons, opossums or bears, using the fat of whichever animal was available in their region.

us
    Oct 2011
    177 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I use the bounty sheets, rub it on my hair and arms - keeps knats and flys away then the high caliber DEET on the clothes and shoes.

Mar 2019
    New Jersey
    Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
    118 times
    Metal Detecting
    Permethrin.
    Jim in Idaho likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    5527 times
    Deet is awful stuff but very effective. A double secret probation load of it on my clothes and Im good. Don't want it on my skin. When I was in the jungles of India we would put Vicks Vaporub on our skin to keep the leeches off. That worked very well. Those that used it got zero leeches and those that didn't all got leeches. I would think the same for ticks? Haven't tried it. I don't get to tick country much. I do know in California it is pretty offensive smelling to the Liberal Democrats Gets them moving.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    8096 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    Deet is awful stuff but very effective. A double secret probation load of it on my clothes and Im good. Don't want it on my skin. When I was in the jungles of India we would put Vicks Vaporub on our skin to keep the leeches off. That worked very well. Those that used it got zero leeches and those that didn't all got leeches. I would think the same for ticks? Haven't tried it. I don't get to tick country much. I do know in California it is pretty offensive smelling to the Liberal Democrats Gets them moving.
    Are the Liberal Demoncraps leeches or ticks? I'll do whatever I can to offend them.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

Jun 2007
    13570 times
    FAVE bug...? GOLD BUG!
    creskol likes this.

us
    It is what it is, until it "Is" what it is.

Aug 2013
    Northern Utah
    I currently run White's Spectra V3i wireless, Fisher F-70, Garrett AT-Pro, Minelab Etrac. I have owned other Fisher, Teknetics & Garrett models. Hands on with Equinox 800, Garrett AT-Max, & New Chase
    160 times
    Metal Detecting
    creskol, I use Permethrin wash treatment for my clothing and 90-100% DEET pump sprayed on all open skin surfaces. I've had better results with the pump spray over the aerosol cans. I'm lucky I have access to Permethrin P-40, Government agencies and the military use this, its a wash treatment for your clothing. I also spray the detector down with Permethrin or equivalent and the detector is also placed in a plastic Christmas tree storage box that has been sprayed and also has a small hand towel sprayed inside this. I was surprised to see how many Ticks and other unwanted insects came home on my detector.
    Good Luck!
    Stay Gold!
    Opie

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    21995 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I carry a photo of my second wife safety-pinned to my detecting vest. I guess blood suckers observe professional courtesies, because I have never been bitten or stung.

us
    Feb 2005
    MAINE
    Ace 250
    2891 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    I wish they had a laundry detergent .

us
    Feb 2005
    MAINE
    Ace 250
    2891 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Or those dryer sheets that come in the little box - with Deet .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links