WHAT is your favoite bug repellant for TICKS & CHIGGERS and other nasty critters?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been using Backwoods Off on my clothes for years, but it seems as though the formula is weaker or the ticks are resistant. I sprayed my boots, socks, and pants yesterday, and still found two ticks crawling up my leg.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
colman 100% deet, best stuff ever

john845

Dec 26, 2017
Newburgh ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Class III SL. Spectrum xlt Tesoro Vaquero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cold winter weather!! I don't go in to the woods much during summer time. Between the ticks and mosquitoes.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
The cold winter weather!! I don't go in to the woods much during summer time. Between the ticks and mosquitoes.

They are less active during the cold weather for sure, but two found me yesterday in spite of it.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
this may sound weird but worked my uncle use to work for a surveying co. and he would put flea collars around each of his boots and it would keep them off

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a repellent but I don’t shower until I’m done being outside for the day, I’ve noticed soaps and fragrances draw the bugs.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I inherited my late grandfather's tackle box, and inside was a little green bottle of Muskol 100% deet insect repellent. Takes two drops to coat all exposed skin. It is potent stuff, but probably not the healthiest. I watched a mosquito fly down on to my arm and it immediately keeled over dead. I though my uncle and I were gonna die laughing.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its 100% deet its gonna work, i dont spray it on my skin unless they are real bad..

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We don't have chiggers. Ticks are a real problem, however. The Admiral and our prior dog both tested positive for Lyme Disease. I've pulled two ticks off her and lord knows how many off our dog - but notably NONE since we started using Seresto collars on the dog . . . which are unfortunately ghastly expensive ($58). Active ingredients: Imidacloprid and Flumethrin. This is amazingly effective.

https://parasitesandvectors.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1756-3305-5-102

If you have a little dog I'd consider snipping off the excess and tucking it in your pants pockets!

I use a product called All Terrain Herbal Armor on my exposed skin. It keeps the flying insects away. May prevent a tick from attaching. May.

My pants cuffs I spray with a nasty product by Sawyer that is a squeeze spray Permerthrin. Seems to work. Supposedly kills, not just repels.

It is a synthetic version of pyrethrum. Which is bad, bad news for cats. You shouldn't put it on your skin or any clothing that will be in contact with the cats or washed with other clothing that will.

Supposedly the Permerthrin is not as toxic to cats, but it will still be fatal with enough exposure/contact. So I keep my treated clothing in the cellar where the cats don't go.

Last edited:

randywa

Sep 29, 2017
S.W. Mo.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get some screw worm bomb from the feed store. The spray will leave purple on pants and shirts but it washes out. Flies and mosquitoes don't like it either.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Apple cider vinegar in small spray bottle. Deet is the poison in wood preservative. Not healthy.

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of steps I take along with my body & clothing sprays is a Bounty fabric sheet in my ball cap. I carry a box of them in my truck because they are definitely effective and keep my truck smelling nice too.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
We don't have chiggers. Ticks are a real problem, however. The Admiral and our prior dog both tested positive for Lyme Disease. I've pulled two ticks off her and lord knows how many off our dog - but notably NONE since we started using Seresto collars on the dog . . . which are unfortunately ghastly expensive ($58). Active ingredients: Imidacloprid and Flumethrin. This is amazingly effective.

https://parasitesandvectors.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1756-3305-5-102

If you have a little dog I'd consider snipping off the excess and tucking it in your pants pockets!

I use a product called All Terrain Herbal Armor on my exposed skin. It keeps the flying insects away. May prevent a tick from attaching. May.

My pants cuffs I spray with a nasty product by Sawyer that is a squeeze spray Permerthrin. Seems to work. Supposedly kills, not just repels.

It is a synthetic version of pyrethrum. Which is bad, bad news for cats. You shouldn't put it on your skin or any clothing that will be in contact with the cats or washed with other clothing that will.

Supposedly the Permerthrin is not as toxic to cats, but it will still be fatal with enough exposure/contact. So I keep my treated clothing in the cellar where the cats don't go.

Gave a buddy a bottle of Sawyer to use in a tick dense area he was suffering in.
The entire weeks work party including locals were impressed..

Farmstores (well some of them) carry Permithrin liquid.
Research can determine how much to dilute it , but if cost is a factor it is cheaper than Sawyers offering. Though I'm not knocking Sawyers.
Their bottles can be used for refilling with the other for safety"s sake. And a reminder of the cautions.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's some more info on the Permethrin. Permethrin Technical Fact Sheet

Note you should not spray it on yourself. Only your clothing and then let it dry before wearing any.

I still also have a few bottles of 100% DEET (Ben's and Jungle Plus). It does work for black flies and no-see-ums better than anything else.

For that matter, I have a glass half-bottle of DDT (Rexall Brand) in the basement I've been afraid to do anything with!

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
really simple....Permethrin on your clothing, and Picaridin on your skin = No Ticks!
Jim

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
A lot of those bug sprays are loaded with chemicals. The following are all natural and safe for the whole family!

[h=2]MUD[/h]Although it may not seem fancy, mysterious or something a medicine man might whip up, mud provided American Indians protection from mosquitoes when they applied it to their exposed skin. A thick layer of mud is seemingly less attractive to mosquitoes than plain old skin, potentially masking some of the aroma that attracts mosquitoes in the first place.

[h=2][/h]Rancid Alligator Fat
Most humans may not think rancid alligator fat would be delicious, and apparently the same holds true for mosquitoes' tastes. This greasy substance was applied to exposed skin by the Akokisa tribe of the Houston, Texas, area. Other tribes used a similar method, smearing on a grease made from the fat of raccoons, opossums or bears, using the fat of whichever animal was available in their region.

dokc

Oct 24, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the bounty sheets, rub it on my hair and arms - keeps knats and flys away then the high caliber DEET on the clothes and shoes.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deet is awful stuff but very effective. A double secret probation load of it on my clothes and Im good. Don't want it on my skin. When I was in the jungles of India we would put Vicks Vaporub on our skin to keep the leeches off. That worked very well. Those that used it got zero leeches and those that didn't all got leeches. I would think the same for ticks? Haven't tried it. I don't get to tick country much. I do know in California it is pretty offensive smelling to the Liberal Democrats Gets them moving.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread