Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: WHAT is your favoite bug repellant for TICKS & CHIGGERS and other nasty critters?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    8096 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

WHAT is your favoite bug repellant for TICKS & CHIGGERS and other nasty critters?

I have been using Backwoods Off on my clothes for years, but it seems as though the formula is weaker or the ticks are resistant. I sprayed my boots, socks, and pants yesterday, and still found two ticks crawling up my leg.
    Inspector likes this.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

Charter Member
    us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    Mine Lab Equinox 800, Mine Lab Pro Find 35, Quest Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer 2, Whites ID5 Classic
    635 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    colman 100% deet, best stuff ever

us
    Dec 2017
    Newburgh ny
    Whites Class III SL. Spectrum xlt Tesoro Vaquero Compadre
    980 times
    The cold winter weather!! I don't go in to the woods much during summer time. Between the ticks and mosquitoes.
    creskol and Loco-Digger like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    8096 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by john845 View Post
    The cold winter weather!! I don't go in to the woods much during summer time. Between the ticks and mosquitoes.
    They are less active during the cold weather for sure, but two found me yesterday in spite of it.
    pa-dirt_nc-sand and Inspector like this.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2964 times
    Half and half mixture of water and Avon Skin-So-Soft
    creskol, embrym and boogeyman like this.
    Banking off a Northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Charter Member
    us
    Classic car lover

Jul 2017
    East TX
    Teknectics eurotek pro bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2 used a teroso compadre. Carry a 22 cal. six-shooter.
    16134 times
    baseball cards,hunting,bottle digging,coin roll hunting,shooting,Metal Detecting, swimming,
    Banner Finds (1)
    this may sound weird but worked my uncle use to work for a surveying co. and he would put flea collars around each of his boots and it would keep them off
    Toecutter, BC1969, creskol and 2 others like this.
    Hoping to join the Marines one day

'Give me liberty or death'. Patrick Henry

us
    Apr 2017
    south east kansas
    Whites Eagle Spectrum
    710 times
    Not a repellent but I don’t shower until I’m done being outside for the day, I’ve noticed soaps and fragrances draw the bugs.
    creskol likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    Robbinsdale, MN
    White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
    745 times
    Metal Detecting
    I inherited my late grandfather's tackle box, and inside was a little green bottle of Muskol 100% deet insect repellent. Takes two drops to coat all exposed skin. It is potent stuff, but probably not the healthiest. I watched a mosquito fly down on to my arm and it immediately keeled over dead. I though my uncle and I were gonna die laughing.

Charter Member
    us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    Mine Lab Equinox 800, Mine Lab Pro Find 35, Quest Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer 2, Whites ID5 Classic
    635 times
    If its 100% deet its gonna work, i dont spray it on my skin unless they are real bad..

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11328 times
    Metal Detecting
    We don't have chiggers. Ticks are a real problem, however. The Admiral and our prior dog both tested positive for Lyme Disease. I've pulled two ticks off her and lord knows how many off our dog - but notably NONE since we started using Seresto collars on the dog . . . which are unfortunately ghastly expensive ($58). Active ingredients: Imidacloprid and Flumethrin. This is amazingly effective.

https://parasitesandvectors.biomedce...756-3305-5-102

If you have a little dog I'd consider snipping off the excess and tucking it in your pants pockets!

I use a product called All Terrain Herbal Armor on my exposed skin. It keeps the flying insects away. May prevent a tick from attaching. May.

My pants cuffs I spray with a nasty product by Sawyer that is a squeeze spray Permerthrin. Seems to work. Supposedly kills, not just repels.

It is a synthetic version of pyrethrum. Which is bad, bad news for cats. You shouldn't put it on your skin or any clothing that will be in contact with the cats or washed with other clothing that will.

Supposedly the Permerthrin is not as toxic to cats, but it will still be fatal with enough exposure/contact. So I keep my treated clothing in the cellar where the cats don't go.
    Last edited by Charlie P. (NY); Mar 08, 2019 at 11:22 AM.
    creskol and releventchair like this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Sep 2017
    S.W. Mo.
    Garrett Ace 250
    205 times
    Get some screw worm bomb from the feed store. The spray will leave purple on pants and shirts but it washes out. Flies and mosquitoes don't like it either.
    creskol likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600 720i Stealth Scoop
    6424 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Apple cider vinegar in small spray bottle. Deet is the poison in wood preservative. Not healthy.
    trdking and creskol like this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

us
    Metal Detecting & Hotwheels Collecting

Sep 2014
    Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
    Nox 600, Tesoro, Bounty Hunter, Deteknix
    3312 times
    One of steps I take along with my body & clothing sprays is a Bounty fabric sheet in my ball cap. I carry a box of them in my truck because they are definitely effective and keep my truck smelling nice too.
    RustyGold and creskol like this.
    Any day of hunting, whether good or bad is better than not hunting at all

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    17322 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY) View Post
    We don't have chiggers. Ticks are a real problem, however. The Admiral and our prior dog both tested positive for Lyme Disease. I've pulled two ticks off her and lord knows how many off our dog - but notably NONE since we started using Seresto collars on the dog . . . which are unfortunately ghastly expensive ($58). Active ingredients: Imidacloprid and Flumethrin. This is amazingly effective.

https://parasitesandvectors.biomedce...756-3305-5-102

If you have a little dog I'd consider snipping off the excess and tucking it in your pants pockets!

I use a product called All Terrain Herbal Armor on my exposed skin. It keeps the flying insects away. May prevent a tick from attaching. May.

My pants cuffs I spray with a nasty product by Sawyer that is a squeeze spray Permerthrin. Seems to work. Supposedly kills, not just repels.

It is a synthetic version of pyrethrum. Which is bad, bad news for cats. You shouldn't put it on your skin or any clothing that will be in contact with the cats or washed with other clothing that will.

Supposedly the Permerthrin is not as toxic to cats, but it will still be fatal with enough exposure/contact. So I keep my treated clothing in the cellar where the cats don't go.
    Gave a buddy a bottle of Sawyer to use in a tick dense area he was suffering in.
    The entire weeks work party including locals were impressed..

Farmstores (well some of them) carry Permithrin liquid.
    Research can determine how much to dilute it , but if cost is a factor it is cheaper than Sawyers offering. Though I'm not knocking Sawyers.
    Their bottles can be used for refilling with the other for safety"s sake. And a reminder of the cautions.
    creskol likes this.

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11328 times
    Metal Detecting
    Here's some more info on the Permethrin. Permethrin Technical Fact Sheet

Note you should not spray it on yourself. Only your clothing and then let it dry before wearing any.

I still also have a few bottles of 100% DEET (Ben's and Jungle Plus). It does work for black flies and no-see-ums better than anything else.

For that matter, I have a glass half-bottle of DDT (Rexall Brand) in the basement I've been afraid to do anything with!
    Last edited by Charlie P. (NY); Mar 08, 2019 at 01:43 PM.
    RustyGold likes this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links