Stop doing that!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
/rant on..
Please for the love of all things other than YOURSELF!!
Stop taking shovels into parks with nice lawns.
Please.. Please OK learn proper recovery techniques!

Please stop asking for permission to detect public property!

When you go asking for permission, when it is NOT needed, you have now planted a seed in whomever it is that writes policy!

They'll ask around, hopefully they don't ask an archeologist for their opinion on treasure hunters!

Now, since the mid 80's, I have watched so many prime detecting spots be completely closed off to mine and most of yours lifestyle!
Please pickup any trash that you find and leave the area better than you found it!

Really tired of seeing this!!
20190308_101645_HDR.jpg

/rant off

BC

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agreed, you do not need a shovel in the park! A small hand digger or small pry bar (gasket scraper works well) to pop out shallow coins. :icon_thumleft:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
/rant on.....

BC, good post.

The part you have about asking permission where it's not needed ........ has been my personal "bee in the bonnet". :tongue3: I'm convinced this action (by well-meaning skittish people) is ........ as you say........ what leads to "safe answers" , to their "pressing question". By desk-jockeys who envisions geeks with shovels. Yet may never have noticed or ever given the matter a moment's thought. And then .... yes .... it becomes policy.

And the md'r who was told "no" is sure to post his lament. Someone else sees that and ...... goes to "seek clarification". See the self-fulfilling vicious circle ?? And then someone dreams up "let's make it official" to "answer this FAQ". I've seen this happen over and over.

And in my opinion, it is the cause for more laws/rules against us , than guys who show up with shovels (although I'm not condoning that bad mental image , doh!) . Anyhow: Excellent post.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say shovels...does this mean Steam shovels as well?

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I gotta admit, on private property we use a dozer and rip 12 inches of top soil off.
I have a buddy who is kinda insane that he will BUY a permission to detect/excavate a site.

A steam shovel though..lol
I could use that during the summer in Utqiaġvik.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant go to the local park with a back hoe. I also dont dig every signal at a park gotta be more choosy and careful . Yep Excellent post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread