Open carry pistol while metal detekting

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
images.jpg
Why risk being bush-wacked or eaten by a bear. I get it. I am not allowed to carry, but if I was I would get two six guns like the Cisco Kid. Probably the hat and shirt too for that cool effect. Not sure I would load them. Knowing myself as I am, It might not be a good idea to metal detect with a loaded guns. "Hey! are you looking at me?" "Did you Just ask me what I'M DOING LIKE ITS ANY OF YOUR FREAKING BUSINESS?" See what I mean. Some people are better off unarmed.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True dat, Escape. Some people are too easily riled up, others are simply incompetent or unaware of what they are dealing with, the same goes for a table saw, punch press, or any other tool that cuts or puts holes in things.

But I'm not one of those. : )

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scare a black bear? I think you want a little more fire power than a 9mm. If your just wanting to scare them I get it but I can tell you a 9mm will not stop a charging bear even a smaller one. So why not get something with some stopping power 44mag? You can always shoot away to "scare" off the critter but what if you can't scare it away? The 9 just don't cut it for bear. Maybe you want some bear spray instead if your worried about putting one down? I carry a Taurus Judge .45LC when I am out detecting and have a 44Mag lever action nearby also. I do not have bears and usually just more concerned with scum bags in the middle of nowhere.

Like I stated previously, I doubt ill ever have a issue with bears, my M17 9mm carries 18 rounds fully loaded, Im not going to carry a heavy 44 mag with 5 rounds.... if the bear is still coming at me after 18 rounds well then Ill pull out my trusty Predator ranger shovel and hope for the best lol

Agin my post was directed at open carry while metal detecting and I agree with you on that, but I dont agree with you on your choice of fire arm, Im way to active to lug ol dirty Harry around ( quoted from a earlier response )

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An aggressive animal attacks from instinct. He has no "decision" in the matter. "Kneecapping" a human who makes a decision to kill me will only sue me to recover all I own. As a combat veteran, I am alive because I did not hesitate to "stop" those that were trying to kill me. If called again to save my life or the lives of my friends or family, I will NOT hesitate to STOP an aggressor bent on doing us in. If he dies, so be it. I am a very good shot but when the adrenaline is pumping and the aggressor moving fast or shooting at me, I don't think I could kneecap someone. CENTERMASS assures my efforts the best chance at hitting SOMETHING. TTC

Hi , The 'LOCAL' being a man or animal is the 'MASTER' of his DOMAIN . Your all ready dead before you have seen them. TP

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
9mm isnt going to be sufficient for a bear. im not betting my life on a magic bullet. 357 is border line.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi , The 'LOCAL' being a man or animal is the 'MASTER' of his DOMAIN . Your all ready dead before you have seen them. TP
Very true! But.... armed gives me a chance, unarmed.... NO chance. TTC

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I do not have my Walther CCP I then carry my Sig P320 compact. I have a carry permit and all my, and all my wife's firearms, are registered!

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a CCW permit --no small feat here in NY!-- and generally carry a sub-compact 9mm (Kahr CW9). If I venture into the deep woods, I might carry a Glock 22 (.40 S&W), Taurus PT92 (9mm) or Colt Combat Elite (.45 ACP).

Bears are near the very bottom of my list of things to worry about, although we do have them around. We have a current warning from our environmental conservation department regarding rabid animals. My county has had epidemic levels of rabies in past years and it is estimated to be very high again this year. Still, I really don't worry about wild animals. I'm 58 years old and have done a lot of hiking, bushwhacking, solo backpacking, hunting, snowshoeing, etc., and have never had any bad experiences with animals (or humans).

I know none of the sidearms I carry are appropriate for bears but that doesn't bother me much. In the extremely unlikely possibility that one comes for me, I'll at least be able to put a round or two in the ground at its feet in an attempt to discourage it and have several more rounds that I think would be effective at CQC range... ;)

Good hunting,
Bob

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your metal detecting with a friend all you need is a 22 or a 25 cal. 1 clean shot to the kneecap of your friend and you will be able to trot out of the woods and not worries about the bear.

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your metal detecting with a friend all you need is a 22 or a 25 cal. 1 clean shot to the kneecap of your friend and you will be able to trot out of the woods and not worries about the bear.

holepuncher has the right idea......:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions