Metal Detecting

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bears are amazing animals! What do all animals do out there, they walk around every day, up and down hills through brush for most if not all of the year. That just happens to be quite an exercise routine. Then how do bears get food? If the grass, flowers, or berries are ripe they just eat them. Bears also hunt for squirrels mostly by digging for them, so just how easy is it for them to dig for squirrels. Bears also chase down young animals, like moose, fawns, etc. Bears climb trees for leaves, honey and maybe squirrels. What I am getting at is that all bears are quite strong. All bears can be standing still and in an instant be heading for 25 to 30 MPH, Momma Bear if she has Psyched herself up could even move a little faster and her mind is all about protecting her children, do you think she cares about you, NO.

So how far the bear is from you when 'You See It' makes a big difference in your reaction time, your reaction time needs to be quicker than the bear all the time!

IF a bear is charging you what is the best point to aim at? If you go to a "Where to shoot a bear to kill it" on an internet search site, any site worth its salt will tell you to shoot it right in back of the front shoulder/leg as that gets the bullet into the Bears vitals (heart, lung, organs the things that keep the bear moving). Here is a hint for you: Bears do not run at you sideways. The front of Any Bear is armored with big bones, heavy fur and skin, fat and the skull is heavy and angled which happens to deflect bullets fairly well.

Lets get back to timing - a charging bear encounter is generally going to happen very fast as they understand how to Stalk their dinner. Remember we are just another intruder dinner to them. So how do you aim at a "fast" moving target? Getting the front and rear sights aligned on a fast moving target is how you practice at the range, Right?? No!!! Well you'd better if you are going to be out in Mr or Miss' bears back yard. I prefer to practice shooting at a target by looking down the side of my barrel (454 Casull Revolver), for Semi-Autos you'd be looking down the side of your slide. At what distance? from 25' to 3'. How much time do you have, not enough to squeeze the trigger and poop your pants at the same time, its all going to go down real fast, especially if its Momma with Cubs.

Yes, some bears bluff charge which gives you a little more time to get your weapon out. Some bears are still Leary of humans and will walk away from you once they've seen you, try not to Startle any Bear. The ones that have become used to humans (trash can bears) or the ones that humans have hand fed (tree huggers and dummies), well they consider you just another source of where the food comes from. AKA - you are it, chewy on the outside, soft in the middle.

Caliber: YES, you will find accounts of people stopping a bear with a 9mm. Remember, it hurts when you accidentally stick yourself with a "pin" so any slug is going to hurt a lot worse (.22 and on up). The best kill shot on a bear is from the side but likely you won't have that shot, you will likely be looking at the bears face and chest, all mighty tough stuff. The bullets will hurt the bear which will excite the animal causing its adrenaline to spike and now you will have an Adrenaline Junky That Wants To Kill the Thing that Hurt it. Right, all of this is bad news for the human. With a 9mm you want to get all 14 rounds into the animal very quickly (some will miss) and then get another full clip into it (excuse me, magazine). Then immediately keep shooting the animal!!!! Be very capable of changing magazines in a high stress situation (Note: a bear wanting to kill you IS a high stress situation, this is no joke) Practice!

Now, personally I love being out in Extremely Wild Country, I've also had MANY encounters with bears. On one particular occasion if the bear in the bushes to the left of the trail had chosen me as a target, I would not be writing this right now! I happened to surprise the animal (recall I told you to not do this), both of my hands were full of things (one of those things being a wet canvas bag full of fresh caught Trout). When the bear exited the bushes I opened both hands and grabbed for my revolver which I keep in a shoulder holster in my left armpit. By the time I'd undone the snap on the holster the bear was gone over the next ridge about 30' away. That was many years ago and I camp in that country every year. Am I crazy, I like to think that I love that country so much that I need to be out in it every year. These are mostly wild bears with limited contact with people BUT back in the mid 1970's the Forest Service started Dumping Bad Bears (the ones the humans fed in National Parks) into MY Canyon (rugged mountain country). They began by taking my food bags that were hanging from a rope over a tree limb so the bears could not get the food which up until the dumping started worked (that would be from 1964 into the mid 1970's). I lost several food bags and ropes then I switched over to a steel cable and that ended the stolen food. They then turned to my camp itself. The trick is, do not zip up your tent. Leave it open so they can walk in, explore and then easily walk out. The tent will still be there, a few things may be torn up (that would include my squishy air mattress and some stuff sacks) and do not leave your first aid kit in your tent just way too many curious smells for bears. (Heck they go wild over hydrocarbon fumes, think gasoline in 5 gallon plastic jugs, the bears chew through the jugs to get at the fumes!!!) You try to chew through the wall of a 5 gallon jug!

Okay, I use my 454 as a noise maker and to date it always works and so far NO charging bears. How, close 15'. I have no interest in shooting a bear for any part of it, I absolutely want nothing to do with any part of a bear other than watching them walk around. I do wish they would leave my camps alone! Oh, the 454 IS NOT for everyone!! It is very heavy unloaded and a lot heavier loaded with 300 grain slugs (my choice). Why do I own it? It will shoot through 3/8" steel plate. Once I tested it on an 8" diameter pine tree but before I fired I lined up the target tree so there was a catch tree behind it, good thing I did. From a distance of ~ 8' the 300 grain solid slug went right through the center point of first tree and buried into the second tree. All I have to do is place the slug and it will do the rest no matter what I'm shooting at.

So around Bears be wise and keep your food out of their reach. Clean up really well after each meal. Bears can easily rip the lid off of a food cooler. If a bear smeels food in your car they will break into your vehicle. One of their tricks (this would be an educated bear) is to put a claw under the rubber strip that holds the windshield in place and pull the seal out, this happened on the Alaskan Pipe Line build! Make noise so you do not accidentally startle them. Also, be quick on the draw and practice high stress shooting!.......................63bkpkr [a candy bar in your shirt pocket or day pack on a hot day is not wise]

Shot the 454 Casull once and fell in love with it.

Lunch Bag

Dec 23, 2018
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I lived in the burbs of Detroit, I held a CCW. Yet I never carried. I'm a combat veteran, and I know what it is like to take a life - as a Christian. After I took all the training and passed all the testing, and had the CCW - then I started considering the responsibilities, and my own faith. I was ready right there, and then I chose not to carry.

But I do know I need to protect my loved ones, and will when the time comes

I am a strong christian and have zero guilt about taking a life that was planning on taking mine.

Some people are just pure evil and have to be dealt with accordingly.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a CCW in Ohio here but i never carry I only carry in the woods . But i never did like the open carry law we have here in Ohio i do not know why one would let every one know that you carry.

Fordtrucksrule

Sep 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depends on where you are at, check your local laws, but hell yes I carry, and lots of extra ammo too. I shoot every time I go out. These activities are not illegal in the non-Communist parts of the U.S.A.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a strong christian and have zero guilt about taking a life that was planning on taking mine.

Some people are just pure evil and have to be dealt with accordingly.

+1000. I am a Christian too, and I have only had to pull a gun on someone once in my life. I hope that I never, EVER have to do that again. I am thankful to GOD that I didn't have to pull the trigger. A guy broke into my house in the middle of the night. My old Black Lab slept through the whole thing! I held the guy at gunpoint while on 911 until the Police arrived. It only took them 5 minutes to get there, but it seemed like an eternity and then some. They told me that I "played" my cards perfectly. I was sick to my stomach for several days after it happened. I hope it never happens again, I sincerely don't know if my heart could take it again.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d rather have the weapon and not need it, than needing it and it ain’t there. Just me. If you’ve ever needed a weapon you’d know there ain’t time to go looking for it or unlock a safe, and load it. God bless all but, some folks don’t act right and have evil in their heart.

Fordtrucksrule

Sep 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope. I am a retired LEO that has an un restricted CCW permit. I retired 19 years ago last month and have yet to carry. Not many spend as much time in the woods as I do or on the desert in the winter months as I do and yet I am still here.

I killed a bear while hunting with a recurve at 7 yards two falls ago and had only the bow, no side arm. Sometimes I think folks walk around and look for trouble.

You were hunting, probably from a tree stand or a blind, I doubt you stalked it.
The original question, I assume, was about self defense, not hunting.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a concealed carry and have seen bear, coon, fox, skunk, hedgehog, and other mammals on my property as well as my neighbor's land. Would hate to come across a rabid and aggressive animal.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand. I just pray you will never have to use your weapon in defense. The feeling afterwards never goes away.

Neither does the feeling of being dead if you could not defend yourself and are killed. At least being alive gives you the option to pray.

Killing/murder in self defense is an ugly thought; but being born a poisonous insect only benefits the NEXT insect.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi The chances of being bitten or attacked is 2.4 million to 1 in the USA . The risk goes higher if live in the area where bears dwell to 2400 to 1 . Again minimum factor to zero factor .

Last edited by a moderator:

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was relic hunting in the woods last year and hear some noises just over the hill. Sounded like someone walking upon me in the woods. I stood up and 60 feet away, coming in my direction, was a black bear. His back was about waist high, so he probably stood 5-6 feet easily. Good thing I always use one ear on my headphones or he would have walked right up on me, cause it's hard to see once the vegetation grows up in that area. I did have bear spray and a knife and we stood there facing each other for about five seconds. Finally he turned and bolted up the mountain, but since then I thought more about carrying in places like that. Bears are getting really bad in this area now. Just down the road, some people came upon one as they were going through a corn maze. Talk about making a person wet their pants!lol

Last edited:

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been a farmer all my life, live in a state where concealed carry is legal for everyone, and I have never carried. I never even felt I had too. Even in the middle of the night repairing sheep fence, or way out deep in the back forty, I have never felt the need to carry. I have even confronted armed hunters hunting on my land without permission, and never felt the need to carry.

I have nothing against guns; I have several of my own, and use them a lot.

But as a Christian, self-defense is definitely in the bible; old and new testament. If people want a weapon, that is up to them, but for me, I am not living my life in fear, but here I do not have too.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How would ya like this Bear chewing on ya,and not being able to do a damn thing about it. 2009_1218Mttohuntdeer4th0467.JPG 2009_1218Mttohuntdeer4th0469.JPG 2009_1218Mttohuntdeer4th0470.JPG

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was relic hunting in the woods last year and hear some noises just over the hill. Sounded like someone walking upon me in the woods. I stood up and 60 feet away, coming in my direction, was a black bear. His back was about waist high, so he probably stood 5-6 feet easily. Good thing I always use one ear on my headphones or he would have walked right up on me, cause it's hard to see once the vegetation grows up in that area. I did have bear spray and a knife and we stood there facing each other for about five seconds. Finally he turned and bolted up the mountain, but since then I thought more about carrying in places like that. Bears are getting really bad in this area now. Just down the road, some people came upon one as they were going through a corn maze. Talk about making a person wet their pants!lol
Hi, the statistics for being face to face with a wild bear while metal detecting is 600,000 to 1
It will never happen again. (I made those numbers up).

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And to lighten the mood, I found a nice older "Harriet Hubbard Ayer" cosmetic compact the other day. Open carry on my side but not needed!

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi, the statistics for being face to face with a wild bear while metal detecting is 600,000 to 1
It will never happen again. (I made those numbers up).
Hahaha, yes that's right, but also I've heard chance of winning the lottery you're more likely to get struck by lightning, but I have a close relative that won it (1 out of 7 and some million chance of winning it.)

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I mostly hunt the local state beach and really don’t need a firearm but I certainly support those that do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread