Open carry pistol while metal detekting

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any of you guys open carrey a pistol while metal detekting, Im looking at getting a p320 M17 for protection aginst black bears, 17 rounds 9mm should be enough rounds to scare him away and have enough rounds left over if he doesnt scare easily, Black bears around here are usally around 250lbs....

Last edited by a moderator:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I had been contemplating buying a Walther PDP Personal Defense Pistol for open carry and as described by them "is very discreet yet very intimidating" but decided it was probably a good way to get shot. The concept is good, but not sure it is street worthy!

Last edited:

ABCD

Mar 4, 2019
Mount pleasant PA
Detector(s) used
At-pro/at-max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I open carry in the woods and leave it in the truck when asking for permission or hunting yards. The only trouble I’ve ever had doing so was at the gas station when some one has to give there unwanted opinion on the subject. I live in a back woods area tho and it’s not uncommon to see people open carry even at the bigger stores around. I also carry a 9mm m&p sheild or a rock island 45cal 1911

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could see wanting to go conceled for the city and thats pry what ill end up doing the open carrey laws are pretty strik, i would olny be open carrying in the woods, but it would be easy to jump in the truck to head to another spot get stop by DNR on the way and whoops forgot to put the gun away now your in trouble lol

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a concealed carry permit for 5 years, but never/ever carried. I let it expire. It is a very serious thing to carry - knowing you are willing to kill another human being.

I just could not do that as the thought of killing another person in this world is a very, very heavy thing. I couldn't do that any more. The permit lapsed. But I do know that anyone coming up this holler with bad intentions won't walk back down the road.

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm my state of New Germany. We are not allowed. Even some knives are illegal. Only thing I can carry is a small pocket knife and pepper spray lol. And wouldn't you know I have 2 concealed carry permits but still can't carry in new Germany.

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a good point, but if you want to open carry (even in the woods) cant have your shirt cover it at all and seems like you can get in trouble if the case covers to much as well, Im not to keen on the open carry laws. seems like for the woods going conceled will be easer...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Rarely open carry, but have. Hard to notice though.
Do carry concealed mostly.

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about going bigger to a 357 round but I figured a 9mm would do the trick, if its spring and we jump a mother and cub she might not stop, Ill talk to my gun shop guy see what he recomends...

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My belt gets heavy enough with the pinpointer, digging tools and finds pouch. I don't think I would want to add the weight of a gun to that. The lighter the load the better.

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well 4 out of 37 lol

ABCD

Mar 4, 2019
Mount pleasant PA
Detector(s) used
At-pro/at-max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bin in a situation that I was confronted by an individual that didn’t like seeing the gun saying only cops should show there gun and I shouldn’t be showing it I calmly told her in this area it takes law inforcement about a half hour to get to this area and you may not have time to wait she agreed and left me alone most people don’t seem to notice especially during hunting and trapping season but I’m in a very rural area and usual dont detect in town. I also have a concealed carry permit

Last edited:

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a Walther PPS and do it by the book. All of our firearms are registered and both my wife and I have carry permits. We both fire very frequently at our gun club and are trained, both in the military and by NRA instructors.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I am a combat veteran, 4th Infantry in Vietnam and Cambodia, and I have killed at least one person and possibly others. To this day it bothers me. I'm a Christian and have very deep faith. Thou shall not kill, speaks loudly to me. It hurts to kill anyone, you just can't let it go, even 40 years later. That's why I can't "carry" now. Carrying is with intent. My father in heaven - I pray I will never need to kill another person, packing is with intent.

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I value my life and therefor I carry.

No permit required to carry here and most people are carrying to protect themselves from both two legged and four legged critters.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I value my life and therefor I carry.
No permit required to carry here and most people are carrying to protect themselves from both two legged and four legged critters.

I understand. I just pray you will never have to use your weapon in defense. The feeling afterwards never goes away.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are not an open carry state, but I do carry concealed when in the woods, public parks, and forest preserves. Never in someones private yard.

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand. I just pray you will never have to use your weapon in defense. The feeling afterwards never goes away.

I pray I never need it too but if I do, I will be grateful to be alive and have feelings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread