Should I deal with this guy? (hesitent owner)

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what i would do is offer him everything but the coins
however tell him if you find two of the same make coins like two indian heads he gets one of them any single find coins you keep
this is more than fair.

or he could go spend 1000 bucks on his own detector.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
iron relic items --his+++ personal items --his +++jewelery --his ----- however coins -- 50% of the finds---to each--- two IH cents found he gets one --you get one --his pick --single coin finds say only 1 dime its yours (for giving up the jewelry and relics and "personal" items--- and for your time and equiptment cost) --- anything less than that your being had (that is quite fair and if hes too cheap for that --tell him decent detectors cost between $600 to $1000 bucks and no ones going to work for free to make him some money --- metal detecting folks just aren't that stupid and as you leave tell him have a nice day -- P.S. get your "agreement" in writing "up front" on the off chance you do hit the mother load -- no "crabbing" out that way.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Im with Roy,I would keep on looking for another spot. You spent the money for the detector,you are doing the searching,I guess you could break down and offer to split the finds but it sounds like he may be looking for more. Just dont write him back,if he starts hounding you then you will be in a better position to negotiate.My response would be to offer him the use of another detector and help setting it up,I would also turn over anything really sentimental,not including coins,I dont see the point in trying to find something great if you dont even get to keep it. I can sit and look at pretty coins and jewlery all night long on Ebay,HH...Shoot

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
If he follows you around when detecting, dig only junk signals until he leaves you alone. People get real bored watching someone dig crap. Then, when he is gone, start digging the good signals and "sock" any really good finds and put the rest in your pocket for his evaluation. This sounds shady but people like this will not go out and spend the kind of money we do just to find a handful of coins. Nor would they admire the beauty of a crusty 1899 indian, found in the ground, a million times like we do. Plus, they would never make it past the 20th junk piece dug if they had their own detector. Anytime I think someone may change their mind after seeing my finds, I always "sock" the really good stuff. All you would be doing is protecting what you love. Coins. Nothing wrong with giving up half but I don't know how you would split them up. I would offer up all clad and relics. Wheats you can give too. I found my 1787 New Jersey at a guys house and he said he found one by the dog house a year before. I asked him where it was and he said, in the house somewhere. I can tell you exactly where mine is. In a plastic 2x2, in an album, on my bookshelf.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
ScrewcapRoy said:
Goldencoin, I don't know about you and initially I agreed with Copperheads first statement. In my humble opinion I usually go with my first impression when it comes to asking for permission. In this guys case his first reaction was he wanted first pick of all your finds especially the coins for "sentimental" reasons. Come on!!! He also stated that he found a 1900 barber on the surface. He knows his coins and probably knows there is more to be found. Gut reaction, he will take advantage of you without blinking an eye. If it was me, I would say thanks but no thanks and walk away. Just a feeling I have about this one eventhough I am not there.
Your decision.
HH Roy

I agree. I think this one is just asking for trouble. Let him keep finding his Barbers in the field

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, here is what i'm gonna do:

send him an email stating that i want 50/50 on coins and he can keep the sentimental relics. If i find a gold coin or a civil war token or something i may "sock it" like OPNF said. I think he will probably accept, but i'm not sure what he is thinking. He did not strike me as someone in for the money, but i don't want to be shortchanged regardless.

I'll post how it goes once i get a reply

HH
-GC

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If hes not looking over your shoulder tuck the good finds down in your shoe or another secret compartment. Give him all the common stuff. To me that would be a good 50\50 since you are doing all the work.

KFB

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
kindafoundabuckle said:
If hes not looking over your shoulder tuck the good finds down in your shoe or another secret compartment. Give him all the common stuff. To me that would be a good 50\50 since you are doing all the work.

KFB

It can fall out of your shoe. That is why I "sock it".

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i lost his e-mail...whoops :'(