Should I deal with this guy? (hesitent owner)

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, i asked a farmer for permission and he seemed very hesitant in giving it. He said that he found a 1900 barber dime on top the ground on the part of the field where his grandfathers house burnt down. He said that he would get the majority of the finds because they had sentimental value. He did mention that i would get a share of the finds. I'm worried that he will keep all the finds and leave me with trash, therefore basically a waste of my time. However, keeping one indian head cent would be considered worth it to me. I may also be able to keep coins and stuff that do not date to the time period, but i'm not sure. I have his e-mail and i'm trying to figure out what to say as to make certain i get something while not losing his trust. I've weighed out all the pro's and con's i can think of below-

Pro's-

May be a very productive site if he is finding old coins on top the ground
Will end my good finds slump
Will be able to say i've found more old coins (fond memories and pictures in short)
Help a neighbor find things to reunite him with his grandfather

Con's-

May keep all the best finds and leave me with rusty nails
I may get caught up in a huge battle if i say found a chest of gold coins
Waste of time

In short- what should i say in my e-mail in him if i am to e-mail him at all (keeping in mind my last silver coin was 2 months ago)

HH
-GC

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Dear farmer,

go to…

Seriously....I'd offer any jewelry/relics/artifacts you find to him…in exchange for all coins recovered…I can’t see how he can claim sentimental value on an old coin…sounds like he’s just trying to cash in on your time and detecting..just my opinion..

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i would split 50/50 with him if i had to. your time and effort is worth at least that. to be realistic your equipment and expertise is worth more than that, but it is what it is. :'( anything less than 50% and he can dig it himself in my opinion.

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
I totaly agree with Hollowpointed. 50-50 as far as I,m concerned is the best way to go. Anything less, I would not trust him. Good luck Coin. Mike.

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
50/50 seems fair enough,you might want to leave him your number after the offer and let him stew on it for a bit maybe.

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
If it were me, I'd say that you completely understand about items of sentimental value, and what did he have in mind as far as a split?

That's all I'd say, and see how he replies. Who knows, he might offer you a better deal than you were going to ask for!

Personally, if this farm has been in his family for a while, I would think it reasonable that he get any and all personal items that he wants. Watches, rings, jewelry, that sort of stuff. After that, I think you should get at LEAST a 50/50 split on coins!

I'd say a written agreement would be in order, BEFORE you start detecting!

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
I would use the soft touch and tell him he can choose any items he
wants. Give him the impression that you just love your hobby and you're not out to pillage his property. Once you gain his trust he will probably be much more generous in letting you keep most of your finds. Everywhere you look these days you see scammers and greedy
buttheads doing anything they can to extract a quick buck from people, and if he see's you as an honest person he'll probably give you pretty much a free run of his property.

Doozis

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
doozis said:
I would use the soft touch and tell him he can choose any items he
wants. Give him the impression that you just love your hobby and you're not out to pillage his property. Once you gain his trust he will probably be much more generous in letting you keep most of your finds. Everywhere you look these days you see scammers and greedy
buttheads doing anything they can to extract a quick buck from people, and if he see's you as an honest person he'll probably give you pretty much a free run of his property.

Doozis

I can see this as maybe being the reason..

50/50 does seem fair...but..he's the one that's claiming the finds for sentimental reasons....I say call him on it...his response should be telling...he's probably gonna follow you around regardless..maybe he's just being cautious..offer a backup detector for him to use....might get him to be a little more trusting of you..

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you open up yourself to "claiming the finds for sentimental reasons" - you'll probably end up with nothing but junk. Unless you make a clear, concise agreement with owner - don't blame anybody but yourself - if you end up with misunderstandings.

If you want to dig finds just for the sake of finding them - fine.
Now practice this visualization in your mind - you are detecting his
property and he is following you around watching what you dig up.
You dig up a nice barber quarter or seated dime. He takes it for sentimental reasons. Then every other good find - same deal.
If you're gonna feel just fine about that at the end of the day -
go for it! If not - pass or get a signed agreement.

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
right now i'm siding with the 50/50 agreement where he keeps all the sentimental relics and half the coins. He did not strike me as a man who wanted to make a profit off of it, so i hope he will strike a fair deal with me

HH
-GC

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
goldencoin said:
right now i'm siding with the 50/50 agreement where he keeps all the sentimental relics and half the coins. He did not strike me as a man who wanted to make a profit off of it, so i hope he will strike a fair deal with me

HH
-GC

Can't hurt to try...you can always walk away...good luck..

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Take a copy of the blue book with you, so you can show him what the finds are worth. You wouldn't believe how many people think old coins are worth a ton of money just because they're old.

I've seen more than one perfectly good relationship get screwed up because of greed. What makes it really sad is its usually over less than 20 bucks worth of "treasure".

Be up front and honest, it's all you can do.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
So far everyone that has responded to your post has given good solid advice to you. The final decision boils down to how bad you want to hunt his property. What ever you do, get it in writing first..... Good Luck
HH All

Desertfox

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I'd ask him exactly what he feels will be of sentimental value. If he feels the coins will be of sentimental value, then you have to be ready to give some or all of them up. I'd be very specific in an agreement with him. Personally, I'd offer to give everything found back to him except coins..........or at worst, I'd give up 1/2 of the coins to him..

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Goldencoin, I don't know about you and initially I agreed with Copperheads first statement. In my humble opinion I usually go with my first impression when it comes to asking for permission. In this guys case his first reaction was he wanted first pick of all your finds especially the coins for "sentimental" reasons. Come on!!! He also stated that he found a 1900 barber on the surface. He knows his coins and probably knows there is more to be found. Gut reaction, he will take advantage of you without blinking an eye. If it was me, I would say thanks but no thanks and walk away. Just a feeling I have about this one eventhough I am not there.
Your decision.
HH Roy

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I have to agree with Mrs O. If finding the item is what you treasure then a photo album is just as good as the object itself (almost) ;). If you think there might be a large cache there that he is hoping you will find for him you might want to put something in writing about certain types of finds or monetary value. I have grown up in a rural community and the majority of the people I have dealt with are good for their word but there is always the exception to the rule. If all turns out well you might even get a few good leads from him also. Maybe you lose a few good finds to him but if he can be used for a reference you might just get permission to hunt elsewhere that no one else has ever been allowed to. Everything in life is a gamble, it's up to you to decide if the risk is worth the possible reward. Good luck to you whatever you decide but remember to get pictures for the rest of us please no matter what the outcome. Think of all the sympathy we will give you if he keeps all the gold coins you dig up...LOL. HH Charlie

p.s. You might try to do some research on his grandfather. This could give you an idea of whats in store for you there.

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I enjoy finding relics for the sake of finding them, and not the monetary value. IMO, having the opportunity to hunt a property, even if you don't find anything, or have to relinquish your finds with just a photo would stil be worth your time. I say give the property a "test run" and see what you find, then let the farmer have his pick. You may be surprised about what you come away with in the end. Good luck and happy hunting!!

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
my "wasting time" sensor is going off. i'd be hesitant and feel it out more. it would suck to walk out of there with junk and he keeps all the "sentimentally valued" coins.

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ScrewcapRoy said:
Goldencoin, I don't know about you and initially I agreed with Copperheads first statement. In my humble opinion I usually go with my first impression when it comes to asking for permission. In this guys case his first reaction was he wanted first pick of all your finds especially the coins for "sentimental" reasons. Come on!!! He also stated that he found a 1900 barber on the surface. He knows his coins and probably knows there is more to be found. Gut reaction, he will take advantage of you without blinking an eye. If it was me, I would say thanks but no thanks and walk away. Just a feeling I have about this one eventhough I am not there.
Your decision.
HH Roy

No, i had to tell him the name and value- doesn't know nothing about coins

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I would not hunt there unless you had an agreement... If he is not willing to say a 50/50 split... I would not hunt just for his amusement! :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread