Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now this was nearly sixty years ago at my grandparent's home. My grandparents lived at the end if this long dirt road that ended up at the base of Rich Mountain. The land that bordered their land in the back was and is National Forest Land. You either knew them and were there to visit or you were lost. Their nearest neighbor was over a mile away (now wall to wall houses). There was this nuisance hound dog that belonged to a neighbor almost two miles away.

This dog had decided that it preferred eating the dog food at my grandparent's house and took up residency there. My grandmother had numerous times run it off and one uncle and one aunt had thrown rocks at it but it just kept coming back. The family dogs, all squirrel and coon dogs were dipped for ticks etc and were tick free. Not so this hound, the owner just didn't feel like wasting the time or money on getting his dogs dipped and so the male hound was covered in ticks. He also didn't care what his dogs did or where they were unless you ran over it and then it was his prize hunting dog.

My grandmother was fed up with the dog and wanted it gone permanently, alive of course, just gone. So my uncle Jess, nick named Guts (because he was always hungry) was given the task of running the dog off. Now Guts was what many called a mean spirited boy because of the things that he had done. Guts was eight at the time and assured his mother that he was up to the job and took off. He later appeared with a yellow jacket that he had caught. Smiling, he told his younger sister to watch and learn as he walked up to the resting hound lying in the porch. The dog, just watched with his tail thumping as he expected to be petted by the boy.

My aunt watched as Guts lifted the tail up and stuck the very angry yellow jacket's tail to the business end of the dog. Instantly the dog was up, howling and screeching as it ran as hard as it could to get away. Guts was if course laughing as they watched the dog head back to it's home. The sister could see the yellow jacket's tail still moving around searching for another place for it's stinger to sting. Guts was through with the insect and so mashed it between his thumb and finger. My grandmother said that they could hear the dog all the way home. The dog? It never came back and my grandmother was very happy. Life in the country back in the late fifties. Back then, no one chained a dog or penned it unless it was in heat or a mean dog.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
aE2xK7M_700b.jpg

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice story. Thanks for sharing :icon_thumleft:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can only wonder what kind of person Uncle "Guts" grew up to be. Can't help it dirtlooter, seems that poor dog was only hoping for a friend, but then, I'm a dog guy.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Never considered they thought of flies as "Sky Raisins" but it makes sense since dogs are always after them.

And jalapeno "sky raisins" almost knocked me out of my chair laughing. Thanks for the visuals as well.
(Was that your poor little pooch?)

EDIT: I did get stung "lightly" in the roof oh my mouth once by a less than happy honey bee who was enjoying a little soda. Nothing serious but I did pull the stinger & "venom sack" out whole!

Last edited:
OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can only wonder what kind of person Uncle "Guts" grew up to be. Can't help it dirtlooter, seems that poor dog was only hoping for a friend, but then, I'm a dog guy.

well, "Guts" lived up to his ways as he got older. he married a woman with similar ways. they are not the best people out there unfortunately.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing your stories! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions