Lets have some fun !!1 What is YOUR OLDEST Treasure Hunting Magazine

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please post the name and Date of your oldest Treasure hunting Magazine. Lets see who remembers these magazines ?

The oldest i have is a National Treasure Hunters League Volume 2v No. 2 1971

TreasurehuntingmagCorrect.jpg

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I saw some from 1966 and '67 before.

The early ones, of that era (late 1960s to early 1970s) tended to be more about treasure legend type stuff, than about coin/relic hunting. The older magazines were always chalked full of "lost mine" and "stolen stagecoach " loot type stories. And only a token article here and there about coin and relic hunting.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Yea that's a great way to have fun. You definitely win.

I bought a group of old west magazines at a shop in Glendale Kentucky a while back, about 50 magazines. From the early 60s through early 70's for about $1.75 each if I recall correctly. We spend some time at cabin in the hills, no tv. Winter reading. Some great columns from old timers who were young lads when the events occurred.

20180518_212538.jpg 20180518_212604.jpg

Attachments

• 20190316_054405.jpg
    20190316_054405.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 51

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Working on our books we found one online source from 1898. Newspaper articles from the 1860s. We also discovered magazine articles that were word for word reproductions of old newspaper articles. Gare was that you yesterday I was on the phone with?

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Most know the magazines, but the material goes back much further.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The earliest I have I can think of is Vol 1 #1 of "Adventure Treasure" from 1960:

1960-adventure-treasure.jpg

I grabbed this pic off in Internet as I don't have access to the magazine right now.

Adventure Treasure was a brief sporadically-published mag that was the precursor to the eventual "Treasure" magazine. I have all issues of both. Offhand, I can't think of an earlier magazine dedicated to treasure hunting, although there were a lot of magazines that would run treasure stories on a pretty regular basis. Like the various Western mags (Old West, True West, etc), Desert magazine, Calico Print, Argosy, etc.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it was Tiredman

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if Old West counts as a treasure magazine, here are a Old West and Frontier Times I bought back in 1968....sigh, I'm aging myself! frontier.jpg old west.jpg

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressive Carl

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... We also discovered magazine articles that were word for word reproductions of old newspaper articles....

And as such, would be beyond reproach. Right ? If you/they found a newspaper article from 1860, then by definition, it's true. Right ?

So too will the info contained @ supermarket tabloid checkouts, and the various TV show treasure shows equally be considered the "benchmark true", @ 150 yrs. from now. Right ?

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
And as such, would be beyond reproach. Right ? If you/they found a newspaper article from 1860, then by definition, it's true. Right ?

So too will the info contained @ supermarket tabloid checkouts, and the various TV show treasure shows equally be considered the "benchmark true", @ 150 yrs. from now. Right ?

They must be true, I am making money off them. Your list of examples are currently doing quite well at this time.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes it was Tiredman

Your book with the issue is common for the older ones. You could just place the two loose pages where they go and seal it in a zip-lock or shrink wrap it. It well only get worse I got a few like that myself.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
They must be true, I am making money off them. ....

Tired-man, you got me a little confused here. Are you suggesting that if a treasure legend makes "money", (as in ... media, TV, magazines, tabloids, etc....) that it must therefore be true ? :icon_scratch:

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom you always claim since their is a story the treasure must be real. Did it occur that your correct? A story or legend is researched and presented in either tv, YouTube or book. If it results in being popular and money can be made either thru book sales or tv ratings then we have treasure!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... If it results in being popular and money can be made either thru book sales or tv ratings then we have treasure!

If that is your definition of "found" and "treasure", then sure: Those People have "found treasure".

However, I do not define "found" and "treasure" that way. I define "finding treasure" when someone has "found treasure" (silly me).

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Those people are currently making some pretty big bucks, they probably hang their heads in shame all the way to the bank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread