ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Topic of discussion some time ago was a realistic question, why haven’t any detector companies progressed with a machine that would be equivalent to today’s technology, lacking to be honest. Yes cost of making or selling a machine is relavent but seriously all these electronics , computers and this is the best to offer, simply not adding up. We are not further along as we should be. Your answer is.

Agreed 100 %.

Here are a couple of my Conspiracy theory's...

Limit Conspiracy - The guys that invent and make them purposely "limit" them to "step releasing" to maximize long term profit return and longevity.

And my favorite...

We don't want anyone to really find something major - The guys who develop and invent new models ALSO detect. (you can figure this one out)

:)

:P

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The military with a nearly unlimited budget should be a good source of information on this topic. I came away from my searches with the thought that we likely have 'state of the art consumer level' electronics. Here is a link to the MIL-D1 detector shown at Special Forces exhibitions. https://www.ceia.net/groundsearch/product.aspx?a=MIL-D1

MIL-D1.jpg

Last edited:

MattPa

Aug 15, 2017
westerm PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can usually tell what I'm digging. I have a nox and a v3i. The v eliminates most garbage, but the nox is a bit easier to use.

JoeInMO

Jan 12, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The metal detecting industry is very odd. It reminds me very much of the auto industry in the 50's and 60's when people were either Ford, Chevy, or Dodge people. If they were a Chevy family they wouldn't even consider a Ford if it was the best car on the planet. The result was stagnation in development and the Japanese moved in and handed Ford, Chevy, and Dodge their lunch.

The metal detecting industry seems to be the same. The White's people think White's is the best... period. The Garrett people, the Fisher, the Minelab people, etc. seem all follow the same pattern. The result is that this industry is filled with what is quite frankly very old, obsolete, junk. The industry is just seeing the tip of the iceberg as far as new and better competition. Some can innovate, adapt and survive... some won't (Tesoro seems to be the latest casualty).

I'm not here to fight with anyone, but if anyone thinks that advances in technology won't make major changes in the metal detecting industry they are only fooling themselves. Someone mentioned x-rays as an example... compare an old film x-ray machine of just a few years ago with a modern digital x-ray machine and it's hard to call them both x-ray machines. Just as in x-ray machines advancement in signal processors allows manufacturers to make much, much better products every 18 months or so. Metal detectors are exactly the same, but the industry hasn't caught up to the rest of technology yet.

I think, and hope, that some of the more progressive companies will continue to offer better and better products in the near future. The days of a blind beep and dig will fade into history. There will always some that think they have magical powers and can find things their detectors don't even let them know exists, and you'll never change those people... just as there are still some people out there who say "I'll never drive anything but a Chevy".

Main processors are much faster. Signal processors are much more accurate. They will continue to do that. Some people will embrace newer technology to enhance their metal detecting enjoyment, and some will keep their heads stuck in the mud and dig every beep. As long as they're having fun I really don't care, but when they try and perpetuate myths in a veiled attempt to support their unsupported beliefs then that's wrong.

-Joe

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Analysis of metals is obviously much more demanding than what many of us understand. It would be ideal if metals we are scanning with our MDs would be in isolated elemental form instead of alloys of many metals with a highly variable ground substrate. Even when a metallic sample is isolated, it takes an advanced dedicated machine for identification. see https://www.sigmametalytics.com/purchase/pmv-pro-withextbridge-description.html Note that sensors have to contact the material with several other requirements. More advanced metal analysis is via optical emission spectrography (OES), inductively coupled plasma (ICP) wet chemical testing and Leco gas analyzers. See http://www.msitesting.com/metal-chemical-analysis.html

spectrograph.jpg

I believe we are blessed with advanced technology provided at a reasonable price point by our U.S. MD manufacturers, and that we need to improve our research and equipment skills to fully utilize that technology.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Analysis of metals is obviously much more demanding than what many of us understand. It would be ideal if metals we are scanning with our MDs would be in isolated elemental form instead of alloys of many metals with a highly variable ground substrate. Even when a metallic sample is isolated, it takes an advanced dedicated machine for identification. see https://www.sigmametalytics.com/purchase/pmv-pro-withextbridge-description.html Note that sensors have to contact the material with several other requirements. More advanced metal analysis is via optical emission spectrography (OES), inductively coupled plasma (ICP) wet chemical testing and Leco gas analyzers. See http://www.msitesting.com/metal-chemical-analysis.html

View attachment 1691862

I believe we are blessed with advanced technology provided at a reasonable price point by our U.S. MD manufacturers, and that we need to improve our research and equipment skills to fully utilize that technology.

SEE ! !! ... did you see that guy in that picture... HE detects !... you can just tell he is a detectorist ... and busy limiting by controlling something:)

:P

nwpa

Jul 6, 2017
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
T2 classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like machines have peaked in technology advancements and are just repackaged or given some extra bells and whistles.
Fist Texas I would of thought would have introduced a waterproof F75/T2 when the Garrett and Whites came out with a waterproof machines but they just remained stagnet.
I think Nokta/Makro will have a hit with the Simplex with it's features in that price range, just waiting for it's release to find out.

Gold!

Jan 20, 2013
I’m thinking of getting a gold monster 1000, best club to join or
group ? Good with solo but would like to join a group to get a feel of the do’s and do not’s.

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been on and off the detector since I bought my Eagle Stectrum in 1995?.....so roughly 22 years. I didn't keep up with what stuff was current, just don't really care.

Time went by, and I've slid back into more detecting. This past summer I wanted a new detector. Mostly figuring I could find a waterproof unit with a longer lasting battery.

I figured I would be amazed by the advances made in the last 20 years.....

I bought an Equinox 600, the best bang for my buck really, and I'm perfectly happy with it.

I was surprised and kind and let down. I didn't really have anything for expectations, but I expected more. I've thought of functionality improvements, and wondered why they weren't on this(or the 800). Like simple Android/Iphone GPS integration, or datalogging.

Not much has changed, except what I knew would. Smaller, lighter, better batteries, Bluetooth audio, slightly more tuning, slightly more depth, somewhat better discrimination and performance. Though all those were inevitable, and really not all that impressive.

But then again, like a few said, this tool can only advance SO far. I mean a hammer hasn't evolved much in a VERY long time, simply because it doesn't need to.

ETA: In all honesty, the best advancement I can think of in 20 years is a seperate pinpointer.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been on and off the detector since I bought my Eagle Stectrum in 1995?.....so roughly 22 years. I didn't keep up with what stuff was current, just don't really care.

Time went by, and I've slid back into more detecting. This past summer I wanted a new detector. Mostly figuring I could find a waterproof unit with a longer lasting battery.

I figured I would be amazed by the advances made in the last 20 years.....

I bought an Equinox 600, the best bang for my buck really, and I'm perfectly happy with it.

I was surprised and kind and let down. I didn't really have anything for expectations, but I expected more. I've thought of functionality improvements, and wondered why they weren't on this(or the 800). Like simple Android/Iphone GPS integration, or datalogging.

Not much has changed, except what I knew would. Smaller, lighter, better batteries, Bluetooth audio, slightly more tuning, slightly more depth, somewhat better discrimination and performance. Though all those were inevitable, and really not all that impressive.

But then again, like a few said, this tool can only advance SO far. I mean a hammer hasn't evolved much in a VERY long time, simply because it doesn't need to.

ETA: In all honesty, the best advancement I can think of in 20 years is a seperate pinpointer.

Well yes and no... (agree and sorta disagree)

A hammer has evolved very little for its "use concept" hasn't changed....
and lets face it.. the concept of driving a nail into something by hand by pounding will only allow for so much change...

BUT... lets not forget about "power" hammers. :)

Now... a metal detector is a FAR cry from a hammer... (hey I just realized you should have used a shovel / scoop for the analogy ... :)
It deals in "tech" and technology as a concept design... is boundless... limitless ...IMO.

Sheesh and as far as "todays tech" (as opposed to tech 50 years ago / let alone the age of the hammer concept ) we now in technology are sending a telephone call GLOBAL in milliseconds to seconds at the MOST.

And THROUGH and AROUND EVERYTHING.... TO another phone... THAT PHONE... andddddd attached VIA a "signal".

It just seems ... well its hard to believe ... we have tech that will do all that...but not a signal past 2 feet in the soil under our own feet.

Something is up. heh...

SLACKER detector Co's ?

IF that's the case... man o man... there is a Pot-o-gold for real at the end of that rainbow (its St pats day ok)... for the person or persons that hone in on that signal. :)

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All quiet on the home front no more guns a firing from the range, boy they really get it going at times, I swear there are times I think the north and the south are reinacting the war but heck you never no real from acting. Have a good day gotta go to job but I will be back unless the cannon balls destroyed my house when I come back, lol

Do you mean to tell me the war has ended? Yer kiddn', rat? Lol

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like a little challenge. Nice to have any edge possible crossing a fine line might take the fun out of the hobby IMO.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like a little challenge. Nice to have any edge possible crossing a fine line might take the fun out of the hobby IMO.

Fine... I will sell you my old detectors as soon as the new ones with no challenge come out.

:) :P

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree they should be much more advanced, The technology is available but theres too many variables that prevent it.

jk1031

Dec 7, 2014
Lockhart, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+ & Nokta Makro PulseDive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Simplex, and it has so far exceeded my expectations.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a limited market, to get all that people are asking for is possible, but very few people could afford what it would cost to make.

Nokta Invenio as example can tell you which target is ferrous, which is gold and the fact there is a cavity between them. How many detectors could afford $7500+ or even $5,000?

invenio-metal-table.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread