Metal detectors should be more advanced considering technology

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Topic of discussion some time ago was a realistic question, why haven’t any detector companies progressed with a machine that would be equivalent to today’s technology, lacking to be honest. Yes cost of making or selling a machine is relavent but seriously all these electronics , computers and this is the best to offer, simply not adding up. We are not further along as we should be. Your answer is.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like it to differentiate the items in ground better, I don’t want it to dig for me. It seems like anything else they r maxed out in there creating I mean how old is the whites v3i now 2009 , 10 years old, just saying, I’m curious like others that’s all, what else can they do other than telling u what type of metal objects are. Oh well don’t hurt to think or ask

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The display of what is in the ground is misleading. Mine said a screwcap and I dug a $5 gold piece. Should I of returned the machine since it didn't work right.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the more important question is why humans themselves are not evolving.
Look at how advanced phones have become yet the people behind them are becoming more useless by the minute!

I've found more in the last decade than the previous decades before and I'M USING THE SAME DETECTOR FROM THE 1990'S!
This is despite the fact that there's more hunters and more "advanced" detectors out there.

Humans are just like deer....they stick to the same paths, hunting the same areas over and over again.
All it takes is someone who thinks outside the box and they will become successful.
This applies to everything in life!
:headbang:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People seem to forget detecting is based on conductivity of target, targets with same conductivity are going to respond the same.

Minelab has made huge strides with their detectors. CTX 3030 with its "target trace feature" is an example, showing how many targets are under the coil at same time and which one is conductive and which is ferrous.

The Equinox is another, the first all around detector that can be used from hunting for tiny gold nuggets in mountains or deserts to relics, to wading in salt water beaches hunting for lost jewelry. The ability to pick where tones break to the ability to pick how many tones a detector produces are all huge advances in my opinion..

Last edited:
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U all have good points, we have a lazy society nobody walks, gee so detecting elimination starts there, how many of us hobbiest r out there u guess try, humans r excuses no time etc, I say gee we all have to work, u don’t have time for family then why do u have one again another topic for the lazy and excuses, Im glad we don’t have to register our detectors I don’t need to no how many of us that bad, just curious, ok gotta go.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I just wanted to say friends I’m fine with my 20 year old whites dfx heck I’m no master of anything, but would like to consider the whites 3vi, gee the I better go I think the Calvary is coming over the hillside I here the guns a firing from the range, boy they sound like cannon balls, coming from Ohio I think a lot of unrest in the territory, lol thanks

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All quiet on the home front no more guns a firing from the range, boy they really get it going at times, I swear there are times I think the north and the south are reinacting the war but heck you never no real from acting. Have a good day gotta go to job but I will be back unless the cannon balls destroyed my house when I come back, lol

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree

Since the 90's computers have evolved every couple of years yet the technology in this industry seems to be stagnant...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....Since the 90's computers have evolved every couple of years yet the technology in this industry seems to be stagnant...

And everything in those 'puters, cell-phones, cameras, etc.... was/is all simply a function of "faster and smaller". Can "faster and smaller" change detecting ability ? NO ! There's a thing called the laws of physics. No amount of "faster and smaller" can change how much signal you pump into the ground, and how much info. you pull back out of it.

That's why ... in the past 20 or so years, yes: We've reached the limits of what our current technology can do (aside from random whistles and bells and repackaging). It's not evil lazy engineers. It's not profit motive of sales/demand. It's simply the laws of physics. No amount of faster and smaller is going to change that.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
49er12 is essentially correct. These recent advances aren't all that great. I have used most of the newer machines. Basically a GRP radar unit with a 100,000 core target memory would be nice. Take the blasted thing out, swing over a target and either see the object or have a nice voice tell you "bottle cap at 10", digging is optional" or "$5 us gold coin at 10" digging is mandatory". But it wouldn't give the YEAR of the coin!:occasion14:

Blkcloud

Apr 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d like to have a X-ray machine that you could see before you dig

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If George Payne hadn't left the industry more strides would have been made in metal detectors. How many of you have used the 8500, 9000 series Teknetics coin computer models of the late 80s. Not to be confused with the First Texas company of today. The machines were ahead of the times and if they had progressed with modern technology where would they be today? Ahead of the current machines on the market I'm sure.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

It already exists ! Trouble is: the pixel size is ......... at the smallest ....... 1" square. Hence everything we seek for (coins, rings, nails, tabs foil wads, etc...) are all: 1 pixel.

And even if they got that refined down to 1/100 inch across, you would still be looking at nothing more than a messy blotch of pixels. You are not going to get a magical TV image of your coin or ring or whatever. Unless, of course, you bury a receiving x-ray screen underneath your target. (as in ... human X-rays, where the human stands between the 2 sides of the machine). Then ...... sure ... you'll get a magical TV image.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes to magical tv images! Probably a $20,000 machine though, and let's skip the radiation factor!

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other

How many still have the glasses they purchased?
glasses.jpg

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom, I completely agree, You can compare the science, not the technology and the technology has now become the bells and whistles.
Great comment!
Opie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread