Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

I was hunting at an athletic field yesterday and was looking for coins and whatever else may come my way, when my detector went off. The display read a solid penny. Now usually if I have the time and energy I dig everything..I figure it's good practice and helps with the end of year totals. I began to dig and pulled up a muddy quarter. This was what I couldn't figure out..any time my machine reads quarter it's ALWAYS a quarter.

I dropped the coin on the ground and tried it again, and it still read penny. I thought maybe my batteries were going, I was just tired, or something was wrong with my detector. Why was it acting this way?

Then I started to rub the mud off the quarter and said to myself, "Maybe this isn't a quarter..." It turned out to be this nice religious coin, which was the EXACT same size as a quarter.

OCT0.jpg

I wondered how many times this has happened to you..today I dug up a token that my detector read as a penny. Digging those insignificant penny targets sometimes turn out to be really nice things.

Nat

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nat someone is trying to tell you something.aa

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
aa battery said:
Nat someone is trying to tell you something.aa

I was in deep thought about things I was concerned with while I was out there..you may be right ???

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
The chuck e cheese token i just found showed up as a penny ...

On the other hand...how many times has a nickel been a pull tab... ;)

Nick

That's right, my CEC tokens were penny readouts as well, and so were most of my president coins etc. My detector reads pull tabs as either a ring or a pull tab..I never came up with anything else. My nickel readings are either nickels or pieces of aluminum cans.

Nat

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nat didnt mean to scare you but that was the 1st thing that went through my mind.Yes i have hit tokens that do that. ;) aa

B

BIG61AL

Just yesterday I dug a nice solid target that jumped between nail and pull tab. I dug it to find out what it was and was right on top the dirt beneath the blades of grass. Turned out to be a 2 pence coin from the UK. It was larger than a quarter in size. Must have a odd copper alloy mix to read like that.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saw a magazine article once and it showed all kinds of charms ,tokens,ect that read like pennies on that persons detector.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Yes, detectors lie to you.

Rule of thumb is dig everything.

May be lie is too strong of a word, I should say that the detectors get confused. LOL :o They ( detectors) are designed to find coin sized objects and expect them to be of a certain metal composition. I have had flattened bottle caps read as quarter >:(. Also have had a silver ring read as penny - dime. We have all had the dreaded pull tab tell us they were nickles.

The objects in the ground are just playing with you. It is a test to see what your patience threshold is or to see if you have a colorful vocabulary.

Dig everything because you just never know.

HH

Ray S

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread