Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're upgrading from the Pro and want better detection at the beach, then my suggestion would be the Equinox from Minelab.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you plan on going into the wet sand I agree with laidback4sho, get a minelab or look into a PI machine. VLF machines like the AT Pro & AT Max will do alright in the dry sand.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May be upgrading from the Pro to the Max, because I am going to the beach and I want better detection. Who here has one and has used it a the beach? What is your thoughts?

I have an At Max. I've used it at the beach. In the regular sand it works fine. In the wet sand I get lots of false non repeatable signals. From what I understand you can turn down the sensitivity. For me the At Max is a great all terrain machine and I'd say my beach experience is more user error / lack of patience than a problem with the machine. If you watch some of the "hoover boys" videos on youtube from this past summer they do a bunch of water / beach hunts with the AT Max and are quite successful.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You need multi-frequency or PI to properly work the wet sand and surf. The AT Pro will do fine in the dry sand. :icon_thumleft:

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My AT Max gave me fits in the salt water...fine over dry sand. My Equinox 600 worked flawlessly in wet or dry sand, dry or wet. IMO it’s waaaayyyy more machine than the Max, plus it’s very easy on the ears. The Max is like fingernails on a chalkboard...horrible audio. Hunts well, but it’s like listening to your mother in law all day.:BangHead:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

At 4;55 in Garrets own promo they state " this detector is designed for use in both SALT water and fresh water".
Maybe ask Garret what settings they use:laughing7:

Chub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread