Little Help Picking My First Detector Please!!

Pikeslumber

Greenie
Feb 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been reading and researching many MD's and have found several used through different outlets like ebay, craigslist, here, etc. all about the same price and wondering what the more experienced here think? The one's I have listed are all in my budget and within $25 of each other and all I can spend, so please don't reply that if I just spent another $75 I could get.....

I am mostly going to be looking for coins and jewelry on old home places, fields, parks, and occasionally at the beach (not in the water just on the damp sand with small kids to play with them. I guess my biggest things I'm looking for will be depth, cancelling out as much trash as possible, and ease of use since it will be my first detector and I would hate to get turned off of the hobby before getting into it.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with a newbie!!

Minelab Explorer II
Minelab X-terra 505
Whites IDX Pro
Whites Spectrum XLT
Teknetics Omega 8000
Makro Racer
Nokta Fors Core
Tesoro Sand Shark
Fisher Coin Strike

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before you jump, you must understand that MOST of what we dig is trash. If you wish to find gold jewelry you will really dig a lot of trash since there is no detector that can tell the difference between lead and gold or aluminum pull tabs and gold rings. Wet salt sand will require a different machine than might be good in dirt.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Can you rent or borrow one? Most folks figure out that they are going to dig trash and, well, they realize that this hobby is not for them and give up. If they already bought the detector it usually finds a cozy spot in a closet and gets forgotten about.
See if there is a local dealer that rents for the day. Get a pinpointer, too, as this will speed up recovery so you can dig more targets faster. You will dig trash since trash is what is mostly scattered about.
There are cherry pickers out there that will only dig THE BEST signals. They do fine but I'm sure glad they cherry picked and left the gold items and things like indian head pennies and any nickels behind for others to find. Will they dig trash? Absolutely.

"He who digs the most trash finds the most treasure"

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so what is your budget? and where are you located?

Minelab Explorer II If it breaks, where can it get fixed? They no longer make parts for these
Minelab X-terra 505 Low end minelab, with the Equinox's popularity you should look at the Equinox 600
Whites IDX Pro Old, many more newer machines that can out perform this one
Whites Spectrum XLT Old, many more newer machines that can out perform this one
Teknetics Omega 8000 Had issues that is why they introduced the Omega 8500
Makro Racer They had issues that's why they came out with the Racer 2
Nokta Fors Core They are coming out with what sounds like a great low end detector in June
Tesoro Sand Shark One tone, Tesoro just went out of business
Fisher Coin Strike Old, many more newer machines that can out perform this one

I buy used machines myself, many times I am buying them at 50% retail.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Luck in your new machine search. :icon_thumleft:

Loco Digger summed up your current list.:occasion14:

OP
OP
P

Pikeslumber

Greenie
Feb 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you rent or borrow one? Most folks figure out that they are going to dig trash and, well, they realize that this hobby is not for them and give up. If they already bought the detector it usually finds a cozy spot in a closet and gets forgotten about.
See if there is a local dealer that rents for the day. Get a pinpointer, too, as this will speed up recovery so you can dig more targets faster. You will dig trash since trash is what is mostly scattered about.
There are cherry pickers out there that will only dig THE BEST signals. They do fine but I'm sure glad they cherry picked and left the gold items and things like indian head pennies and any nickels behind for others to find. Will they dig trash? Absolutely.

You mentioned old several times but wouldn't an older high end machine like the Minelab explorer II be better than a new Whites Coinmaster, Fisher F2, Ace 250, etc.?

OP
OP
P

Pikeslumber

Greenie
Feb 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I understand the Racer came out with the Racer 2 and Omega went to 8500 and Nokta is coming out with a new model but I can't afford those. As I mentioned at $250 used I have found those options and I would think they are better than new low end models? Thanks for the thoughts but I don't have more to spend, so I'm trying to get the best MD for my money and those are ones I've found at $250 or just under.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that First Texas (Teknetics Parent Company) changed the Omega in response to a market that was (and is) shifting more toward mid to higher frequency machines that focus more on depth and target separation rather than the ID accuracy of some of the more traditional lower frequency U.S. coin hunters. Probably the intent with the 8500 was to tweak it to take it a little more to the relic hunting side. Still a good machine from what I've heard, and maybe more versatile than the 8000, but it seems that most still prefer the 8000 for coin hunting, which it does very well. Version 4 seems to be the favorite, but noisy around emi. V's 5 & 6 are supposed to be quieter.

One word of caution Pikeslumber, I normally wouldn't recommend a used machine to someone who is brand new to detecting, unless you know of an experienced detectorist who can check it out for you. Otherwise it could it could take you a long time to figure out that you have a machine that is not functioning properly and can no longer be returned.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would narrow the list to the 505, XLT, Racer & Fors Core

I hadn't seen a used Fors Core for $250 I'd be tempted to jump on that. (but not for someone new as you only have the vdi on the screen)

The original racer had a lot going for it only downside was it showed a lot of trash as unusually high vdi (I recall reading somewhere?) That could be frustating

The 505 & XLT are workhorses but the 505 on the beach ? and the XLT has a beach program but will require you to re-ground balance as you move from dry to wet (not a back thing to do anyway - I would think but couldn't say for sure as I hunt in Indiana

Whatever your budget save some money for a good pinpointer $75-$100. If I had to pick one of those machines to give to someone to start I would probably pick the original racer with the 505 or XLT a close 2nd. The racer is lighweight has a tone of options of the modern detectors and a nice large vdi screen and very fast recovery.

And if you don't like digging lots of trash for a dollar in clad in 6 months you can probably sell the original racer for about what you will have in it.
Keeps us posted I'm curious to see what you decide and think of it.

HH

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A possible consideration would be a new machine from Teknetics. There are several models in your price range (a few that cost less). The Eurotek Pro is a very capable machine. With the concentric coil it costs less than $250 - and you'll have a 5 year warranty. If interested go to the Teknetics website and check it out.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What eman1000 said about the pin-pointer, add to that a good digging shovel like a Lesche or Garavedigger and a nice finds/trash pouch. That will add about 200 dollars to your budget, but when you get hooked on this hobby(and you will) you'll be glad you spent the extra cash on something that wont break on you in the field.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Pikes, tuff price point. I recommend going new and add a pin pointer. Used is good, but so many machines are copied I wouldn't chance it. Also a new machine will be "Your" machine not someone's former beater. The Garrett Ace series is good Bounty Hunter has some good stuff too, Whites coin master is another good choice. If this is your first machine, I would go to or go online to Hobby Lobby and use there special single purchase coupon and get a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV then go to one of the reputable dealers and buy a real good pinpointer to go with it. The Tracker IV will be around $48.00 with the coupon. Then get a Garrett pinpointer $110.99 or a Minelab Profind 15 for around $99.00 The trick here is consistency. The tracker will hit at 7-8 inches on coins and has auto track for the ground balance. Your not too deep into the game here and you have some decent stuff. as you get more into it throw more at the possible new machine, but a good pinpointer is an absolute must. and you'll have that for many years.
Many of us started with a Tracker IV
Good luck!
Stay Gold!!
Opie

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry Pikes, the coupon can't be used for it anymore. No worries its still only $79.99 If you get into this you'll find performance is where you find it, and some find it with less expensive stuff. Your really not going to find much more with a $1500 dollar machine over a $100 dollar one. Bells and whistles and cost is not based on performance, its based on popularity and the newest selling point. The 3 biggest points are these, Ground balance or ground tracking. Available accessories (extra coils) and the reputation of the manufacture. Bounty Hunter is a First Texas product, the largest manufacture of detecting equipment. They own Bounty Hunter, Teknetics and Fisher.
But "Best of luck on your choice!"
Stay Gold!
Opie

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pikeslumber: There is one point you failed to mention. YOURSELF !!! How good are ypou at understanding Settings and able to fallow instructions, Your learning curve is so very important. You need to be able to understand what the machines are doing and telling you !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions