Nicking or Scraping your coins/finds? My Story, I'd love to hear yours!

KSK

Mar 28, 2019
Pocono Summit, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i & MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, I'm new here and i'm curious if anyone is like me, clumsy or just straight up unlucky and just happen to scratch or scrape that pretty little silver coin in the hole you dug or are digging. i dont always do it, but when i do i beat myself up and it pretty much turns the excitement into disappointment. I have done it plenty more than once. but the one time it really killed me was when i got a slamming hit, So I Started to dig and not 15 seconds in, i started hitting all kinds of thick roots. so, i flipped my digger and started sawing through them. I kept going down, the worse they got. But i HAD to find out what it was, i can never just abandon a potential target. So, 15 minutes later after digging THIRTEEN inches down, through 4 good sized roots. I was getting tired and sloppy and just starting digging the sides pretty aggressively. Put my pinpointer down the hole that my entire arm down and finally pulled out a target. I thought it would be crap as my deep targets for some reason are. but i wipe it off and i see its a silver half dollar! and i see an old civil war eagle (I also see two spots on the side which looks like something was attached, most likely for it to be a pin. I get extremely excited but when i flip it over i see that its not just an old silver half dollar but it has engravings on it, someones initials and very cool designs. i was kind of disappointed because it wasn't a pure untouched seated liberty eagle. But at the same time it is one of a kind. But the kicker is that i knicked it twice and scraped it once. Two large scrape marks on the obverse where the engravings are.:BangHead:

IMG_20151104_162738.jpg IMG_20151104_162738.jpg

I was mainly upset because since the obverse was gone, i couldn't get a date but later found out that the rays on the silver eagle meant its from 1853. So that would make it my oldest silver. If i am wrong, please correct me. Is there any value in this, since its damaged and technically not a coin anymore?

So, Any thoughts to make me feel better? Or at least make me feel not alone?

Thanks Guys.

BTW Ive been detecting for 8 years now, new to the site. Hoping to find people to go hunting with. I really don't have anyone who enjoys this like i do. I love it and i would like to find someone who feels the passion and wants to go out hunting together. I live in Eastern PA, and frequently travel to NJ. So, If anyone is interested. Send me a message.

Happy Hunting everyone.

Last edited:

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. It's a love token. Not something you find everyday.
Some would say it's better than a plain seated half, which is awesome by the way. Congrats.

And yes, I scratched a '63 Ben Franklin last year.

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicking or Scraping your coins

Yep...I've hit a few...That's why I designed this secondary digging tool for after you dig the original plug...unable to find object and you're poking around in the hole dug trying to find it...being Non-Metallic it's not going to scratch or nick the coin/relic/artifact...and very gentle with glass bottles too...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Should be getting the rest of the equipment I need here fairly soon...in order to mass produce them...and put them out there for sale in the marketplace...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Got-Good-Tones

Attachments

• Non-Metallic Digging Tool.jpg
    Non-Metallic Digging Tool.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah ! I have scratched a 1923 -S Peace Dollar , also a 1939 -S Walking Liberty Half , and possibly a silver quarter ( can't remember for sure)

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know the feeling. It's hard to be careful every second. I abandoned my metal tool and made my own from PVC pipe. No more scratches. Gary

00.JPG

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thing is insanely awesome! Banner vote for me, it's just too beautiful and cool.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats that is an incredible find! The love token aspect of it make it even better and more personalized. Seriously awesome. Now since the coin is already altered and it's a larger coin you might be able to take that to a jeweler and have them buff out the damage that you did to the coin. I've scraped a coin here and there. The one that really kills me is my first seated dime. I was digging in super dry compacted earth and got a penny signal. I wasn't too careful digging and I put a nice nick on it with my lesche. It was in really nice condition too. Not too valuable but a stand out in my small collection and I think about it every time I see it.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first ever Barber half 1912, I put a scratch across her lovely face. :(

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think large coins are more difficult to avoid.
I have one that absolutely SHOULD have been nicked, gouged, and scratched.
Not a mark on it. I say it jumped out of the hole to avoid being smashed.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the awesome find! :occasion14:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Helluva find, and welcome on board!

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After I scratched my first coin, I learned to slow down and dig a bigger plug if necessary.

Digging finds out from under roots is a tough chore, so anybody can be forgiven for that one.

Great find by the way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread