Contemplating saving for an Equinox 80...

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox does everything the at pro does and more. Equinox with the small coil is what you want for high trash. Also deus has an outstanding reputation in heavy trash and iron.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Although the AT Pro (owned 3) is a good detector I think you’ll find the Equinox 800 an outstanding detector.
The Nox has so many more options while hunting, better balance while swinging and clearly IDs targets. I found the learning curve not difficult at all.
One has to learn the tones and nuances of the Equinox but it’s easy to accomplish after some time using it.
Good luck!

OP
OP
H

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a 800 is a good upgrade? I’ve heard fantastic things. We will have to see how fast I can save the money. I definitely love the 6” coil on the pro.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a 800 is a good upgrade? I’ve heard fantastic things. We will have to see how fast I can save the money. I definitely love the 6” coil on the pro.

It's a great upgrade, I have an mxsport that I consider an upgrade from an at pro, and the equinox is for sure an upgrade on the sport in most ways.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes it is IMHO. I loved the smaller coil for the AT Pro. I found in my particular area of detecting the stock 11” and 12x15” Equinox coils work the best for me and the smaller coil was just too small for hunting the beach.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went from atpro to equinox - they are actually pretty similar IMHO. (Calabash digger has great videos - at pro is not good In heavy iron)

They are not light years apart, but it would be the incremental upgrade step.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinfetcher is correct. The Equinox is better, but not by light years. A lot will depend on the skill and patience of the operator. It is excellent in salt water. They struggle somewhat in high iron areas. I found pinpointing takes some getting used to. The Deus will outshine it in iron, as TPmetal suggested.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunter, its really all the same to a point, if your not needing the water proofing look at a Fisher F75 or a Whites Mx7 I agree with the MX Sport Idea. Coils are really the key, so anything that has available extra coils is what you need. The electronics is just that, but its the coil sending and receiving the signals. White's had an interesting video on Youtube to illustrate this. Look up Mx Sport Vs Monte's Nail Board. Great video for showing the difference in what coils do for a detector.
Good Luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
You could even go with the Equinox 600 and still be ahead of the AT Pro. Except for gold prospecting mode and two more single frequencies (3 vs. 5) the 600 and 800 are pretty similar in function. They are exactly the same when operating in multi-frequency mode. Mention was made of the MX7. I have an MX7 and an Equinox. The White's is nice, but I feel the Minelab has it beat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread