zippi

Mar 28, 2018
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
*Beginners Bad Luck*

I am new to detecting and my first hunt was in the backyard. I found some clad and a Chuck E Cheese token. I have been out now 2 times to hunt and both times have turned up nothing but 2 pennies. I carry a couple coins with me to through down on the ground just to make sure it's working. I do find keys, pull tabs, bottle caps, etc but not good numbers yet that would indicate any nickel's, dimes, quarters, etc. My first hunt was at an old complex that had 3 ball diamonds and down the road was a soccer field and I found 2 penny there and they were in the early 70's. The second hunt was at a local park that is pretty old. I found no coins. Didn't see any numbers higher than 52 on my detector. I know I have the detector set pretty good so am I just having beginners bad luck???

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to detecting and my first hunt was in the backyard. I found some clad and a Chuck E Cheese token. I have been out now 2 times to hunt and both times have turned up nothing but 2 pennies. I carry a couple coins with me to through down on the ground just to make sure it's working. I do find keys, pull tabs, bottle caps, etc but not good numbers yet that would indicate any nickel's, dimes, quarters, etc. My first hunt was at an old complex that had 3 ball diamonds and down the road was a soccer field and I found 2 penny there and they were in the early 70's. The second hunt was at a local park that is pretty old. I found no coins. Didn't see any numbers higher than 52 on my detector. I know I have the detector set pretty good so am I just having beginners bad luck???

nope thats the name of the game. research is most important. If there is nothing in the ground to find you wont find it. Also dig all targets on your detector until you understand the signals. Everyone has bad days where we get skunked, they often just don't get posted about because there is not much to show.

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The fact that you're finding anything shows you're on the right track but you can't find what's not there you just need to get on the right spot don't get discouraged just keep at it and have fun the finds will come in time good luck

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like it may have been "cherry picked" before you. I hardly ever dig penny signals unless they register penny/dime. You're findin' stuff, so your detector is okay...don't give up!:thumbsup:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Reads like a good day to me!
Test coins from your pocket ring up very different than a deep old coin on it's edge. Or even a shallow coin that has been laying a while.
You are not digging much. Not digging "iffy" signals.
What is below those signals (objects) you did not dig?
Did you hunt fields where athletics were , or where spectators were , or both?
An old field while have lots of debris from humans in certain areas. Who knows what is below a carpet of pull tabs or bottle caps, and foil?

Keep at it.
A couple coins recovered is not the worst day. (!) Not at all.

Expect to dig as much trash as coins for a while.
And depending on site(s) , hundreds of clad coins to find one silver one.
Dig everything in an area where digging is not a problem. A small area. Then go cherry pic.
Next time clear out that small area more. You might be surprised to find that not everything you were skipping over is junk...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

You are weeks ahead of me for warm weather. (Congrats.)

Right now is a good time to be gaining hours of experience learning your detector.
Sledding hills.
The twel line at a swimming are.
Dig all pull tab signals.
Before you refill a hole , check it again with your detector...

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact that you're finding anything shows you're on the right track but you can't find what's not there you just need to get on the right spot don't get discouraged just keep at it and have fun the finds will come in time good luck
MDing is like Christmas! You never know if you're gonna get a shiny new bike or socks & skivvies. You'll have days that'll make up for the rotten days, just gotta be patient.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zippi I have days where I don't find anything that's just how it goes, but the more you learn your machine you will reduce those odds. I even have spots I have done research on and still don't find anything.

Youtube can be pretty depressing when someone post about how they find a gold ring everyday or $10 dollars in clad - That's very rare for me in Indiana

Have you tried Deaconess Sports Park (I just did a quick google search on Softball tournaments and that place looks like a goldmine of clad!)

OP
OP
zippi

zippi

Mar 28, 2018
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zippi I have days where I don't find anything that's just how it goes, but the more you learn your machine you will reduce those odds. I even have spots I have done research on and still don't find anything.

Youtube can be pretty depressing when someone post about how they find a gold ring everyday or $10 dollars in clad - That's very rare for me in Indiana

Have you tried Deaconess Sports Park (I just did a quick google search on Softball tournaments and that place looks like a goldmine of clad!)

Haven't been there yet but it's on my list. All the answers make me feel better. Thanks.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like an ordinary day detecting. Nothing, nothing, nothing. So you do more research, try a different spot, try ten more other spots and sooner or later hit a productive patch. I remember when I first started I detected a popular park and found nothing but pennies. So many I just dug them and tossed them in my pouch without glancing at them. When I got home and rinsed them off I had several Indian head pennies, and no idea where I had dug them. You have to go slow, pay attention and enjoy the hunt. The good stuff will come.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep at it and dig most signals, you never know! :icon_thumleft:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zippi , I don't see bad luck anywhere in the experiences you described , just normal learning curve stuff ! As already mentioned - stay at it , site selection is important ! See if you can score a private property to hunt !! Most important - have fun ( this isn't about making a living for most of us !!)

Al.relics

Jan 28, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Nox 800, Whites DFX e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zippi, all above is great advice. Don't get dishearten. We all have those kind of days with not much to show for after a hunt. Even on places that you research and think no one has been their.....it's probably been hunted but don't let that stop you! Learn your machine and dig more iffy sounds. Good luck!

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bad days are more like going out in single digits spending 15 minutes a hole chipping through frozen ground and coming home with nothing but bits of barbed wire... the barbs for what ever reason cause my detector to react even when it’s set to ignore wire and nails... I’m happy for any money clad or not and always thought keys were a fun find something about how important they are in everyday life but totally useless to me, who ever lost them had to be at least a little ticked off...
But I love doing it to discover forgotten history and to save and restore items that would otherwise would rust into the ground... for people after real treasure my collection is probably laughable.
Like others have said keep at it, i surface hunt arrowheads and hadn’t found a point in 6-8 months still I go out every chance I get, last week I found 5 points in 24 hours, your luck will change eventually

Last edited:
OP
OP
zippi

zippi

Mar 28, 2018
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the info guys. I think my next hunt will be at my Daughters house. Her and her husband live in a small town on 10 Acers and there is an old log cabin on the property and a small lake. The house is only 15 years old but the property is really old. Been waiting on this one since it's a pretty good drive. This will be an all day hunt.

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
F75LTD, G2+, Tesoro Mojave & Bandido 2 micro-max, Deep Tech GG & X
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi zippi - it's been a while since you last posted. Are you still swinging the metal detector?
Wondered if you found anything at that old log cabin site. Hope you are still enjoying metal detecting.
What's your best find so far? Stay in touch.

Later

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread