Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: just because some has a top of the line detector doesnt mean they got it all

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2016
    Statesville, NC
    XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
    91 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Low and slow still misses targets as some targets only appear when you approach them from a different direction. I hit my high yielding areas from every angle to get as many goodies as i can. =)
    BC1969 likes this.

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    10988 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    a great spot should be gridded correctly to get the most out of it and you still will miss something
    BC1969 and Darke like this.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Mar 2017
    Colorado
    Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
    138 times
    Quote Originally Posted by treasureguy56 View Post
    As it turns out , we are all human and the people boasting the loudest are usually full of something .
    That is why I donít consider such comments worth the worry. If they think itís the best let them. Itís no sweat off my back.
    BC1969 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Tejon
    19089 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    I need to stop what I did today. Was digging with a few folks, and was making some remarks like, go slower, don't raise the coil at the end of a swing, that's not a straight line, you're digging in circles, that takes too much time, have you tried triangulating between three points to keep your bearings, why are you digging a 6" hole for a 2" deep target, here, have some of these orange flags to mark your finds and on and on.

I gotta stop doing this. They are getting better!

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    10988 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    I need to stop what I did today. Was digging with a few folks, and was making some remarks like, go slower, don't raise the coil at the end of a swing, that's not a straight line, you're digging in circles, that takes too much time, have you tried triangulating between three points to keep your bearings, why are you digging a 6" hole for a 2" deep target, here, have some of these orange flags to mark your finds and on and on.

I gotta stop doing this. They are getting better!
    but it is hard not to try to help. it is when they start listening to you that they begin giving you a run for the money
    smokeythecat and BC1969 like this.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    19089 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    So true, I won't mention the gold coin he found today.
    CoinFetcher and AARC like this.

au
    Sep 2004
    Eaglehawk
    GPX
    1016 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Hi I cannot hear the quite whisper amongst the ground chatter . Please shut. Up . TP

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot.
    722 times
    Relic Hunting
    It is about experience in detecting and experience with your detector. Heck, I spent most of 2018 learning my Nox 800. Been detecting since 1989. I can't imagine how much total newbies to the hobby pass over when they go out and buy the more advanced detectors. Best examples is seeing people hunting the beach using the banana swing or golf swings. Won't find much treasure in the air.
    basssmann and BC1969 like this.

us
    Feb 2013
    YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y.
    WHITES DFX AND VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab to start 2018
    3738 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    dirtlooter,...….. I'm detecting 30 years now and still learning and the experience only helps me more... Metal detecting is like fishing.....

10 percent of the fishermen, catch 90 percent of the fish...… just because you own 5 poles, doesn't mean, you know how to fish....

maybe 25 % of the people with a metal detector, find 75 % of the good finds..... I know dozens and dozens of people who say they own a machine, and never use them... basssmann
    Last edited by basssmann; Apr 10, 2019 at 04:21 AM.
    sprailroad, BC1969 and dirtlooter like this.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia - La Florida
    JW 8X - ML X2 - VP 580
    38759 times
    Amateur detectorist Terry Herbert unearthed the Staffordshire Hoard in 2009 using a metal detector bought at a car boot sale for £2.50 and hunting a field that had been hunted hundreds of times by experienced detectorists.

Moral... its not always the detector your using... could be timing and luck of the draw... and just because you did not find something... does not mean something isn't there.

The "factor" that most likely changed that field was the farmer plowed the field a little deeper than normal that day.

Other factors always are at play every time you turn your detector on... ground conditions at that moment you pass play most IMO.

Both men... land owner and Terry became millionaires that day.
    sprailroad, BC1969 and dirtlooter like this.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - AKA -" TNet Under Ground " http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    10988 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by basssmann View Post
    dirtlooter,...….. I'm detecting 30 years now and still learning and the experience only helps me more... Metal detecting is like fishing.....

10 percent of the fishermen, catch 90 percent of the fish...… just because you own 5 poles, doesn't mean, you know how to fish....

maybe 25 % of the people with a metal detector, find 75 % of the good finds..... I know dozens and dozens of people who say they own a machine, and never use them... basssmann
    totally agree

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2602 times
    Charles Garrett made a statement years and years ago to the effect of. You could go out with an army of detectorists and search the bejeebers out of an area and still not get it all. You know? after 40 plus years I'm finally convinced he was 100.1% right.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

us
    Apr 2014
    NJ
    Whites Spectra V3i, Whites MX5, Whites BH 300, Whites MX Sport, Tek Europro, Tesoro Compadre, Makro Multi Kruzer .......... No longer own....... Etrac, CTX3030, G2, Fisher F4 Tesoro Bandido
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by boogeyman View Post
    Charles Garrett made a statement years and years ago to the effect of. You could go out with an army of detectorists and search the bejeebers out of an area and still not get it all. You know? after 40 plus years I'm finally convinced he was 100.1% right.
    I too am 100% convinced of that.

I've pulled too many good targets out of "hunted out" locations to think otherwise.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    19089 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    No such thing as hunted out. Hunted down, yes. I have one spot I have been to about 6 times this past month. My truck is getting tired of going there. I didn't realize how much STUFF I had brought home, until I started looking for a few "missing" items today. I did find them.

Site was hunted since the CW centennial in the 60's. Some folks still go there. The last three weeks I have used the machine to find nails and such and have resorted to a shovel. I have at least a month of relic cleaning and sorting to do. I have a gallon jar full of CW relics. Now, some is broken glass and a lot of nails. I mailed Creskol a thick envelope of ration can pieces for restoration, they aren't here anymore. Some of the glass can be identified. I have parts of a Baltimore Glassworks flask, another flask, a Millville fruit jar and others. But I have a lot of very nice stuff in the jar. I have taken a few items out, like eagle buttons, but not many. Sometimes you have to use the machines as a compass, and resort to a shovel!

The stuff is still out there.
    BC1969 likes this.

us
    Sep 2013
    Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
    7771 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tinpan View Post
    Hi I cannot hear the quite whisper amongst the ground chatter . Please shut. Up . TP
    You're as random as I am lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links