Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I cannot hear the quite whisper amongst the ground chatter . Please shut. Up . TP

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is about experience in detecting and experience with your detector. Heck, I spent most of 2018 learning my Nox 800. Been detecting since 1989. I can't imagine how much total newbies to the hobby pass over when they go out and buy the more advanced detectors. Best examples is seeing people hunting the beach using the banana swing or golf swings. Won't find much treasure in the air.

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dirtlooter,...….. I'm detecting 30 years now and still learning and the experience only helps me more... Metal detecting is like fishing.....

10 percent of the fishermen, catch 90 percent of the fish...… just because you own 5 poles, doesn't mean, you know how to fish....

maybe 25 % of the people with a metal detector, find 75 % of the good finds..... I know dozens and dozens of people who say they own a machine, and never use them... basssmann

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amateur detectorist Terry Herbert unearthed the Staffordshire Hoard in 2009 using a metal detector bought at a car boot sale for £2.50 and hunting a field that had been hunted hundreds of times by experienced detectorists.

Moral... its not always the detector your using... could be timing and luck of the draw... and just because you did not find something... does not mean something isn't there.

The "factor" that most likely changed that field was the farmer plowed the field a little deeper than normal that day.

Other factors always are at play every time you turn your detector on... ground conditions at that moment you pass play most IMO.

Both men... land owner and Terry became millionaires that day.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dirtlooter,...….. I'm detecting 30 years now and still learning and the experience only helps me more... Metal detecting is like fishing.....

10 percent of the fishermen, catch 90 percent of the fish...… just because you own 5 poles, doesn't mean, you know how to fish....

maybe 25 % of the people with a metal detector, find 75 % of the good finds..... I know dozens and dozens of people who say they own a machine, and never use them... basssmann
totally agree

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charles Garrett made a statement years and years ago to the effect of. You could go out with an army of detectorists and search the bejeebers out of an area and still not get it all. You know? after 40 plus years I'm finally convinced he was 100.1% right.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charles Garrett made a statement years and years ago to the effect of. You could go out with an army of detectorists and search the bejeebers out of an area and still not get it all. You know? after 40 plus years I'm finally convinced he was 100.1% right.

I too am 100% convinced of that.

I've pulled too many good targets out of "hunted out" locations to think otherwise.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No such thing as hunted out. Hunted down, yes. I have one spot I have been to about 6 times this past month. My truck is getting tired of going there. I didn't realize how much STUFF I had brought home, until I started looking for a few "missing" items today. I did find them.

Site was hunted since the CW centennial in the 60's. Some folks still go there. The last three weeks I have used the machine to find nails and such and have resorted to a shovel. I have at least a month of relic cleaning and sorting to do. I have a gallon jar full of CW relics. Now, some is broken glass and a lot of nails. I mailed Creskol a thick envelope of ration can pieces for restoration, they aren't here anymore. Some of the glass can be identified. I have parts of a Baltimore Glassworks flask, another flask, a Millville fruit jar and others. But I have a lot of very nice stuff in the jar. I have taken a few items out, like eagle buttons, but not many. Sometimes you have to use the machines as a compass, and resort to a shovel!

The stuff is still out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread