Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was at a family reunion of sorts and someone mentioned that I detected some. Immediately several spoke up about their detectors and about a few finds. One cousin's husband told me that he had a top of the line detector that was better than anyone here's. I was curious and asked what kind. It was a Deus with the LF coil. Having one myself, I began asking him how he had it set up etc but he couldn't answer any of my questions. Turns out he hadn't really found anything with it yet. So I asked how long had he had it. Almost three years and still barely knew how to turn it on. He told me how he and some other guy had hunted some spot out hard but there wasn't anything there to find. But, his detector was the best so there was nothing there to find. So I mentioned that I too had a Deus as well as the HF coil but he had no clue as to what I was talking about. He couldn't even tell me what program he had used so there was no telling what he had used. It was about then that he decided to go elsewhere.

Basically there are a zillion people out there with detectors, many of them with corroded batteries in them because they hadn't been used in so long. For every really good detectorist, probably fifty or more lousy ones out there. They might even have a top of the line detector but they don't have a clue as how to really use it. Now by no means do I claim to be a really good one but I get by pretty well. I know that there are those of you out there that are very darn good and you have the proof to back it up. Besides, most people skip a lot of ground in a very fast walk and swing so by that very nature miss stuff. I know that I miss stuff and sometimes just ignore a signal that I probably should have dug but I was just too tired to.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You are absolutely correct. Speed and swing are important factors. I often find a lot of good targets at the beach behind other guys with my PI machine. I see guys swing in a U , with the coil only down in the middle of the swing or swinging way too fast. Sometimes, especially in the winter months, when there aren't a lot of fresh drops, I slow Waaaay down and listen for wispers. Often find good deep targets that way.

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don’t blame your cousin for claiming he had the best detector. Based on your story it was his wife. [emoji317]. Agree the detector doesn’t make the person a better. Someone who knows what they are doing with an inexpensive model can out detect me. But I’m not in it for the competition I do it just to get out and enjoy the outdoors.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the truth. How many of us still pull finds out of areas we've worked for years along with others? Completely covering an area would require more effort than the average person would ever put out. Not to mention the soil/environmental variables. I know when I get tired it has to be a really good signal to make me dig it lol.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have gone back to a signal and dug it after passing it up because I was tired and going to the truck. Even though I was dead tired, it get nagging at me until I dug it. usually nothing good but every once in a while it is. The guy with the Deus, it was about owning the best of everything and putting down yours. I got the Deus for the weight, the rest has been bonus

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never get it all, and I just LOVE IT when someone zooms through a field. They leave a lot.

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never get it all, and I just LOVE IT when someone zooms through a field. They leave a lot.

Yep metal detecting in a bike let’s you cover a lot of ground. But darn when you do get a good tone it’s tough to pinpoint where it actually is coming from.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just have fun finding things...enjoy the journey! :icon_thumleft:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good points and Well Said Dirtlooter.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife's detector is 20 years newer than mine.. turn on and go type.
I'll detect with anyone just as long as they are not going to be competitive.
Like what you are saying about the guy having the latest and greatest.
I'm really happy for you that your fancy digital detector can navigate the rust..
So can my CZ3D.
Dig it all. Zero discrimination and terms like masking effect does NOT apply!

BC

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
That's the truth. How many of us still pull finds out of areas we've worked for years along with others? Completely covering an area would require more effort than the average person would ever put out. Not to mention the soil/environmental variables. I know when I get tired it has to be a really good signal to make me dig it lol.

I still find coins in my mother's yard,... after detecting it regularly since 1978 lol.. thanks Dad!

BC

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boils down to the age old thing, the detector is a tool. Example you can have the best most expensive set of carving tools made, but if you haven't put in the practice and learned to use them you'll be whittling junk. Doesn't matter what machine you have if you don't know what the machine / tool is telling you all the bells whistles & programs won't help much. An old boy I knew had an old BFO I think it was a Whites, He never had a desire to upgrade, but he could hunt circles around most all of us! Why? He knew his machine inside & out. Any of you other old farts have a Sovereign and never used the meter?

DigDug216

Feb 22, 2016
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low and slow still misses targets as some targets only appear when you approach them from a different direction. I hit my high yielding areas from every angle to get as many goodies as i can. =)

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
a great spot should be gridded correctly to get the most out of it and you still will miss something

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As it turns out , we are all human and the people boasting the loudest are usually full of something . :)

That is why I don’t consider such comments worth the worry. If they think it’s the best let them. It’s no sweat off my back.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to stop what I did today. Was digging with a few folks, and was making some remarks like, go slower, don't raise the coil at the end of a swing, that's not a straight line, you're digging in circles, that takes too much time, have you tried triangulating between three points to keep your bearings, why are you digging a 6" hole for a 2" deep target, here, have some of these orange flags to mark your finds and on and on.

I gotta stop doing this. They are getting better!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I need to stop what I did today. Was digging with a few folks, and was making some remarks like, go slower, don't raise the coil at the end of a swing, that's not a straight line, you're digging in circles, that takes too much time, have you tried triangulating between three points to keep your bearings, why are you digging a 6" hole for a 2" deep target, here, have some of these orange flags to mark your finds and on and on.

I gotta stop doing this. They are getting better!

but it is hard not to try to help. it is when they start listening to you that they begin giving you a run for the money

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread