Looking like I might be shooting a recurve again.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ouch, that had to hurt! When I began bow shooting in 1985 after moving to West Virginia with my' job, I almost got blood poisoning due to the bow string hitting my' forearm so much. Found out the hard way that I needed to install and use a bow sling and not grip the grip on the bow.

Thanks for the PM, fixed incomes can be very challenging to adjust to. Kind of like getting older, things quit working or don't work correctly and you are having to make your own adjustments. I wish the best for you. Jerry

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you're back at it dirtlooter. I shoot a Bear Super Kodiak and a Kohannah longbow. I've had cataract surgery and torn/detached retinas. Both shoulders had surgeries. Still shooting and hunting. Hopefully will never need a crossbow, but will if required. Happy shooting.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
another reason to own a metal detector LOL

I can't tell you how many times I have been out behind my 3-D hanging deer target and found an arrow below the sod. Steel target heads read "7", by the way. ;-

I keep my hunting shots to 25 yards (instinctive) but I practice to 80 yards and beyond. Stumps don't duck. My "point on" range is 63 yards (for those who know gap) and that has got me a free beer more than once.

I keep shooting so I can keep shooting. Lost my right ring finger to a tractor but it was reattached. For a year I shot left-handed. BOY, does that make you relearn form and instinctive aim. Don't recommend the finger, but the weak side exercise was enlightening. Still have the bow (a friend sold me a LH Red Wing Hunter).

Folks have started to catch on, but in the 80's and 90's you could get fantastic bows for less than $100. Wings, Roots, Shakespeares, Brownings. All still throw arrows very well.

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it.. all of you guys!
Here in Oregon with 1.8 million acres of forest, we get deer, elk bear and turkey too!

Stay vigilant my fellow blind bow brothers....

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad you're back at it dirtlooter. I shoot a Bear Super Kodiak and a Kohannah longbow. I've had cataract surgery and torn/detached retinas. Both shoulders had surgeries. Still shooting and hunting. Hopefully will never need a crossbow, but will if required. Happy shooting.

I had a Kohanna 50 lb longbow for several years, special ordered it, awesome bow too. owned several Bears as well, keep plugging away my friend and never stop, it is hard to get back in the swing of things. Longbows, so forgiving and so simple, slower but gold on hitting. My dad once asked me if I could hit this gray squirrel in this tree, I had rubber tips on and flu flu's. it took off running in the tree and I helped it gain another 25 ft in the air, my dad never questioned the longbow again.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't tell you how many times I have been out behind my 3-D hanging deer target and found an arrow below the sod. Steel target heads read "7", by the way. ;-

I keep my hunting shots to 25 yards (instinctive) but I practice to 80 yards and beyond. Stumps don't duck. My "point on" range is 63 yards (for those who know gap) and that has got me a free beer more than once.

I keep shooting so I can keep shooting. Lost my right ring finger to a tractor but it was reattached. For a year I shot left-handed. BOY, does that make you relearn form and instinctive aim. Don't recommend the finger, but the weak side exercise was enlightening. Still have the bow (a friend sold me a LH Red Wing Hunter).

Folks have started to catch on, but in the 80's and 90's you could get fantastic bows for less than $100. Wings, Roots, Shakespeares, Brownings. All still throw arrows very well.

yes, bought quite a few very expensive bows after the compounds first came out, dirt cheap then. A friend managed to get a Black Widow. Also got Ben Pearsons as well, they made them in Arkansas then. Stripping off the hand painted camo paint was like Christmas morning to find out for sure what you had just bought for $25

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep at it.. all of you guys!
Here in Oregon with 1.8 million acres of forest, we get deer, elk bear and turkey too!

Stay vigilant my fellow blind bow brothers....

I only shot one bear with a bow and we had and have a lot a bear problems where I live. Have had a lot of them on the front porch as well as the front porch. opened the front door to one once, shut it pretty quick, it was a big one. The one I shot was the last day of season and off my front porch. like a giant bag of jello, decided I didn't want to mess with another one. Like hogs, they tend to taste like what they have been eating and this one had been eating a rotting carcass. Good luck to you my friend

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread