worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a Nikon B700 quite a nice camera for sure just keep the lens CLEAN!

GOD Bless

Chris

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How serious are you going to get into photography or video? If you're serious about photography (I mean, really serious), consider going into the mirrorless realm, as that's the future and the REAL money in photography is in the glass (lenses). You don't want to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars in tech that's on its way out (although there is some cross compatibility between mirrorless and DLSR lenses).

But if you're on a budget or just want a solid camera, than any big name DLSR should do, such as one made by Canon or Nikon. And with the start of professionals shifting to mirrorless, you can probably find some good DLSR gear for relatively cheap.

I personally use a Nikon D90 which is fairly old, but is more than capable for professional looking shots. Just remember good photography is mostly about the lenses, the user and the lighting available.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok forgive me for not posting details. I am looking for something i can mount on like my hat and do videos of maybe metal detecting or horse back riding and possibly even under water. Thanks in advance

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're looking to replace your Contour any GoPro from Hero5 up will be an improvement. If you're looking for a cheaper one a Chinese action cam like a SJCAM will still be an improvement in quality but not so much in durability. Low end DSLRs take both good photos and video but are delicate.

I still use a Canon Rebel T5 with average quality glass. I'm still collecting lenses before I upgrade the body.

Edit: Saw your post. Yeah either a newer GoPro or a Chinese action cam is the way to go.

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're looking to replace your Contour any GoPro from Hero5 up will be an improvement. If you're looking for a cheaper one a Chinese action cam like a SJCAM will still be an improvement in quality but not so much in durability. Low end DSLRs take both good photos and video but are delicate.

I still use a Canon Rebel T5 with average quality glass. I'm still collecting lenses before I upgrade the body.

Edit: Saw your post. Yeah either a newer GoPro or a Chinese action cam is the way to go.

Why a newer GoPro? I know some of the older ones can't take 4K video or are limited in the size of the SD cards they can use. I also know the newest model has some sort of built in image stabilization. But besides those features, what do the newer GoPros have that the older ones do not? I'm asking because I'm considering getting a cheap (i.e. older) GoPro to mount on me or my metal detector to document any potential notable finds.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darke I sent you a private message
did you see it ?

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why a newer GoPro? I know some of the older ones can't take 4K video or are limited in the size of the SD cards they can use. I also know the newest model has some sort of built in image stabilization. But besides those features, what do the newer GoPros have that the older ones do not? I'm asking because I'm considering getting a cheap (i.e. older) GoPro to mount on me or my metal detector to document any potential notable finds.

By newer I mean Hero4 and up. Gare has a Contour released about the same time as the Hero3. They improved the firmware around the GoPro Hero4 and the lens quality improved some. They also corrected alot of the fisheye and stabilization problems along with the interface. The Hero5 does have some interface problems though. I'd skip it unless it's really cheap. The SJCCAMS are definitely worth a look if you're not looking for the latest and greatest. At $40 or so they're not so hard on the wallet if you lose it.

Darke I sent you a private message
did you see it ?

Haven't looked yet. Got quite a few lol.

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Session (black cube) Heros have caught my attention due to their small size and weight. What are you thoughts on those (besides the fact that they'll need to be purchased secondhand)?

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Session (black cube) Heros have caught my attention due to their small size and weight. What are you thoughts on those (besides the fact that they'll need to be purchased secondhand)?

I don't have any experience with the sessions. There were quite a few people on the mountain biking forums that liked them though. That was mainly what we used the GoPros for and for mounted shooting these days. I don't recall there being any serious problems with them though.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darke are you also a horseman

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Yi Action Camera. Its a great little GoPro replacement 4K Video and the user interface is so much easier to use. Also its a heck of lot cheaper then the newer GoPro cameras.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Darke are you also a horseman

No defiantly not lol. My nephew and his wife and daughter are mounted shooters. I just take pictures and set up cameras for it.

I use Yi Action Camera. Its a great little GoPro replacement 4K Video and the user interface is so much easier to use. Also its a heck of lot cheaper then the newer GoPro cameras.

YI makes good quality stuff. They're mostly owned by Xiaomi.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darke PLEASE CHECK MY PM's !! and call me

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
For the image stabilization I’d go for the GoPro Hero 7 Black. You won’t need to buy an expensive gimble. For a little better audio, I’d go with the GoPro Hero 4 but it will need a SuperSuit if you’re going in the water as it’s not waterproof like the 5 & 6. The 5&6 have a membrane over the mic to make them waterproof. The GoPro 4 does not so slightly better audio if that’s important to you.
The latest GoPro Hero 7 Black is my favorite for its new movie-like smoothness sans the gimble.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread