Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rode the VA van three hours one way again to the VA hospital. We had a passenger that rode in the back, he obviously had problems of many sorts. He needed a bath very badly, his clothes were sweat pants etc covered in animal hair etc. He also appeared to me to have had a stroke. He was very quiet and had shuffled very short steps with a make shift walker. I helped him when we stopped halfway for a bathroom break, held the door open to the bathroom so he could make it in and then again to get out. He was the last one done and back on the van as we headed home. We actually stopped and got him a hot meal, this was the driver's treat.

We stopped again and I helped him again. This time, on the way back to the van, He began talking to me. Turns out that he had suffered a very bad stroke and of all times, while riding the VA van to the hospital. He didn't understand what was happening until later after he got back home. He was 63 years old, alone and unable to take care of himself with no help. The driver and I found out where he lived etc and the process of getting some sort of help for him has begun. He began to talk some on the rest of the ride home and fortunately a cousin had shown up to take him home. He had never married and had no one except this cousin that he saw only occasionally. He was living in despair in more ways than one.

I now know where he lives and can get a few meals delivered to him and the other guys on the van were going to contact some other places for him as well. I guess you could say that he was living in his own private hell. The driver already knew who to begin the process with for someone to come in and help him get cleaned up etc. He was asked if this was okay for us to do, ever see a grown man struggle not to cry as he nodded yes. There are Vets out there that think that nobody cares and that there is no hope for them. Someone may be waiting for someone like you to change all of that. I'm not looking for anything, just wanted for people to think about it and to look around them. It was just the sadness of his whole situation. Jerry

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jerry, thank you for the touching story. You are a very good man...May God Bless You. :angel1:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
AGREE, thank you for your Service... our local Vietnam Vets takes care of our own; got a LOCAL VA clinic in town here by advocating, NOT going to Roanoke, Va. VA Hospital. Have a VV Council that will review ALL cases & even get retired volunteers to fix/rebuild/build homes for Vietnam Vets. Wife & I were Associates of the year in 2000; creating a "Grant Foundation" named for my cousin that was KIA in 1968. IF you have a non-profit IRS number, y'all could do the same; LOTS of $$$$$$$$$$$$$! :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife was a CNA for 18 years and saw many vets that lived in the Nursing homes and they very rarely had anybody come and just visit them. So, there are quite a few vets out there that could use a little more attention. Thanks Jerry for taking your time for this gentleman. :notworthy:

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
God Bless you Looter (Jerry) for your act of kindness shown to this Vet in need. Thank You too for your service as well. It is said that what goes around comes around.......stand by for good things to come your way.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Jerry, thanks for being there.

Really, I don't often read stories like yours. I'm fortunate to make it on my own. I always will as far as I can make it.

firemanphob

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2018
Lanesville, IN
Detector(s) used
White Coin master 4000
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's good that there is people like you who care. I always try to help the old people. At least you know where your money is going instead of some CEO's bank account.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
That Was Very Kind of You and The Others To Be There For That Man Jerry!

Reb, Great Information and Awesome Job To You and Mrs Reb.

As Americans We Cannot Do Enough For or Show Enough Gratitude To Our Veterans.

Kace

Flowinghair

Apr 4, 2019
Mojave
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Jerry for being so kind and for helping that gentleman. God bless you

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Jerry, you are a very good and brave man. To have the courage to show compassion for a fellow Vet, who is lost, shows your breadth and depth as a human.
Thank you for your service before and after.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you Brother. :notworthy:

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good reason why I donate a portion of my Ohio State Tax Refund to the Military Injury Relief Fund.....I wish the Federal Return would give a few options for automatic donations.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Thanks for your service Jerry and good Juju commin your way for your efforts. Do you have VA homes in Ark.? We have 3 I think here in MO., one 30 miles down the road. They have a waiting list but are really well thought of here. Local group goes once a month with books, socks and toiletries and they think highly of it. You might see if your guy could get in if they have VA homes there. They are really better than the average "rest home".Good luck.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tear's in eye's. I commend you for your effort's. May your acts of kindness be added to my friend. We all could use some lesson's in grace. Kudos too you ! Kevin.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God Bless, Jerry. Thank you for looking after a brother!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My friends, first off, I didn't write this for my attention but for the attention of those who have served and are now fighting a different but very real battle of survival. We have Vets both young and old that are needing help in some form and they are not getting it for what ever reason. The wheels are in motion now for this man in various forms. If you have never had a stroke, big or small, they can and do rob you of something. One thing can be comprehension as well as use of body functions. In his case, he knows that he needs help but doesn't know how to begin and has no way as well. As for me, I am but a person that took a few minutes out of my time to assist someone who needed help. Any body could have done it and hopefully others will in more cases. I was there at the VA for my own problems but they are nothing compared to what he is going through, I have my wife, kids, friends etc where he is alone. Not every Vet needs any help but there those around us that do. So please just consider them if you are able in some way or form. You just might save a life. Thanks for reading my words, Jerry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread