Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: A Vets Private Nightmare or Hell if you will

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    10988 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)

A Vet's Private Nightmare or Hell if you will

Rode the VA van three hours one way again to the VA hospital. We had a passenger that rode in the back, he obviously had problems of many sorts. He needed a bath very badly, his clothes were sweat pants etc covered in animal hair etc. He also appeared to me to have had a stroke. He was very quiet and had shuffled very short steps with a make shift walker. I helped him when we stopped halfway for a bathroom break, held the door open to the bathroom so he could make it in and then again to get out. He was the last one done and back on the van as we headed home. We actually stopped and got him a hot meal, this was the driver's treat.

We stopped again and I helped him again. This time, on the way back to the van, He began talking to me. Turns out that he had suffered a very bad stroke and of all times, while riding the VA van to the hospital. He didn't understand what was happening until later after he got back home. He was 63 years old, alone and unable to take care of himself with no help. The driver and I found out where he lived etc and the process of getting some sort of help for him has begun. He began to talk some on the rest of the ride home and fortunately a cousin had shown up to take him home. He had never married and had no one except this cousin that he saw only occasionally. He was living in despair in more ways than one.

I now know where he lives and can get a few meals delivered to him and the other guys on the van were going to contact some other places for him as well. I guess you could say that he was living in his own private hell. The driver already knew who to begin the process with for someone to come in and help him get cleaned up etc. He was asked if this was okay for us to do, ever see a grown man struggle not to cry as he nodded yes. There are Vets out there that think that nobody cares and that there is no hope for them. Someone may be waiting for someone like you to change all of that. I'm not looking for anything, just wanted for people to think about it and to look around them. It was just the sadness of his whole situation. Jerry
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    21998 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Jerry, thank you for the touching story. You are a very good man...May God Bless You.
    Rebel - KGC, devldog, Kace and 4 others like this.

Jun 2007
    13406 times
    AGREE, thank you for your Service... our local Vietnam Vets takes care of our own; got a LOCAL VA clinic in town here by advocating, NOT going to Roanoke, Va. VA Hospital. Have a VV Council that will review ALL cases & even get retired volunteers to fix/rebuild/build homes for Vietnam Vets. Wife & I were Associates of the year in 2000; creating a "Grant Foundation" named for my cousin that was KIA in 1968. IF you have a non-profit IRS number, y'all could do the same; LOTS of $$$$$$$$$$$$$!
    Last edited by Rebel - KGC; Apr 08, 2019 at 07:44 PM.
    devldog, Kace, RustyGold and 2 others like this.

us
    Dennis

Jan 2012
    Montana
    White's MXT
    5119 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    My wife was a CNA for 18 years and saw many vets that lived in the Nursing homes and they very rarely had anybody come and just visit them. So, there are quite a few vets out there that could use a little more attention. Thanks Jerry for taking your time for this gentleman.
    Last edited by old digger; Apr 09, 2019 at 08:18 PM.
    devldog, Kace, Flowinghair and 5 others like this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO,
    2540 times
    Relic Hunting
    God Bless you Looter (Jerry) for your act of kindness shown to this Vet in need. Thank You too for your service as well. It is said that what goes around comes around.......stand by for good things to come your way.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    16720 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Jerry, thanks for being there.

Really, I don't often read stories like yours. I'm fortunate to make it on my own. I always will as far as I can make it.
    Kace, RustyGold, BC1969 and 4 others like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Apr 2018
    Lanesville, IN
    White Coin master 4000 Garrett AT PRO
    632 times
    It's good that there is people like you who care. I always try to help the old people. At least you know where your money is going instead of some CEO's bank account.
    Kace, RustyGold, devldog and 3 others like this.
    Mike

My guns have killed less people than Ted Kennedy's car.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    4189 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    That Was Very Kind of You and The Others To Be There For That Man Jerry!

Reb, Great Information and Awesome Job To You and Mrs Reb.

As Americans We Cannot Do Enough For or Show Enough Gratitude To Our Veterans.

Kace
    RustyGold, BC1969, devldog and 2 others like this.
    FIRST: Research The TELLER OF THE TALE With As Much Due Diligence As The TALE Itself

us
    Apr 2019
    Mojave
    40 times
    Thank you Jerry for being so kind and for helping that gentleman. God bless you
    RustyGold, BC1969, devldog and 4 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600 720i Stealth Scoop
    6255 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Jerry, you are a very good and brave man. To have the courage to show compassion for a fellow Vet, who is lost, shows your breadth and depth as a human.
    Thank you for your service before and after.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    21586 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Thank you Brother.

Apr 2013
    N.E. Ohio
    XP Deus, NOX 600
    1303 times
    A good reason why I donate a portion of my Ohio State Tax Refund to the Military Injury Relief Fund.....I wish the Federal Return would give a few options for automatic donations.

us
    Feb 2010
    1130 times
    Thanks for your service Jerry and good Juju commin your way for your efforts. Do you have VA homes in Ark.? We have 3 I think here in MO., one 30 miles down the road. They have a waiting list but are really well thought of here. Local group goes once a month with books, socks and toiletries and they think highly of it. You might see if your guy could get in if they have VA homes there. They are really better than the average "rest home".Good luck.
    Kurios1, RustyGold and Rebel - KGC like this.

us
    Kevin

Feb 2017
    FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
    Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
    7339 times
    Tear's in eye's. I commend you for your effort's. May your acts of kindness be added to my friend. We all could use some lesson's in grace. Kudos too you ! Kevin.
    RustyGold and Rebel - KGC like this.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Charter Member
    us
    Scotland, Aye !!

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    11172 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    If a story could qualify for an Honorable Mention, you'd have my vote.
    Don......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links