Who are the people here that hunt the legendary lost treasures?

Haldean

Feb 11, 2019
Burlington NC
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
we have a treasure legend in our town (Burlington NC) that started off with someone finding gold while plowing. It was found in the early 1900's and is pretty well documented. A man struck gold while plowing his field. There was a black man helping him to whom he gave some of the gold. When the black man started to spend the gold a lot of questions came up and the truth came out. The man who struck the gold with his plow packed up his family and left town. The rest of the town started digging up the farmers field but no more gold was found. Many more stories and legends came out of this one story. Now there seem to be 10 or 12 pots of Confederate gold missing somewhere along the railroad tracks in Alamance county. Makes for fun reading. It's all in the May Memorial Library in Burlington.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not hunt legendary lost treasure reason ... I think it has all been found by some one by now and never told about . And some of the stories are just myths.

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
I Don't have much interest in Lost Legends but my brother does. I have helped him search for a couple of them just for the fun of it. We haven't found any lost treasure but we have found some very interesting places in the process. At one area it was teeming with elk and I managed to shoot a bull elk on two different occasions. Without searching for the lost gold I never would have gotten an elk. What I'm trying to say is if it gets you out of civilization and into the great outdoors it's a worthwhile endeavor.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, i heared the history is the best teacher, so let us teke a glance on two stories, out of many. Once upon a time, over seven oceans, thare was a government founded agency of one country, found a shipwreack with alledge treasure on it. Another country clamed it inmediately and starded yares long legal fight..... i do not know how or if the dispute was resolved. Another, i would like to shine a light to, is a well known Lake Toplitz scam. There was a group of divers / investigators with all the proper govenment permitions and blessings, who clamed to found the pile of Nazi gold. The "gold" was confiscated so fast they didn't even have the time to notice it's a pile of worthless brass rather then gold. Once they realized it, they dully and "honestly" returned the "find" to the "finder". But the government of that country lerned well, the ban on diving and investigateing the lake was issued, and is still in force.
Here is the bonus questione i urge you to anwswr to yourselfe only, not in here: if the Nazi gold would have been found, to whom would it belong: to the finder, to the country where it was found, to the Germany, to the German neo-nazi party, to the people of Israel, to the state of Israel or to someone else?
It seems the inter/intra-national legal relations, laws and other legal stuff is utterly complicated, but we know better, don't we? It is very simple really, it's like showing something everybody would like to have in the pub - and the biggest bully gets it. And it's not just treasure hunting story; it used to be the cole mining story, the cooper ore story, the oil story, the on-going drinking water story, the on-going food prevaleing story......to keep things short, make no mistake - the only right you are allowed to keep is the one you are able to defend!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Green-boy, let's just cut-to-the-chase:

The various treasure legends might or are TRUE. However, a history of "govt. meddling" thwarts these stories from being substantiated. And/or the big-bad-govt. comes in and swoops it away. Right ? And we can ALL point out "suspicious circumstances" which ..... of course : All point to conspiracies, shady deals, proof, etc.... Right ?

The lack-of-treasure to show NEVER means "no treasure". Instead, it only points to sneaky behind-the-scenes govt. ("bully") coverups. Right ?

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, dear... i believe some legents are historicaly corect and verifiable to some degree, at least, some are not. I do belive there are treasures hidden out there, either described by some legend, or not, but in my oppinion finding of a greater value tresaure (material, not historical) is scarse an difficult and more a chance of good luck than anything else. I do not belive the governments are inheretly evil and bully, but if the value is large enough, there will be people and institutiones with different feelings and ideas of historical and legal right and wrong, usually leading in legal battels no one would really like to participate.

There is a real treasure found every once in a blue moon, non the less.

Last edited:

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, White's Goldmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not hunt legendary lost treasure reason ... I think it has all been found by some one by now and never told about . And some of the stories are just myths.

I disagree. I think there’s still TONS out there. I’m in Alaska. Lots of unexplored lands that we’re used by native Alaskans centuries ago as well as gold rush era stuff. Also depends on what you consider “treasure”. I absolutely love our native culture here. Finding that to me is a treasure. It may not be a treasure box from a pirate filled with gold, but it’s lost treasure.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... some legents are historicaly corect and verifiable to some degree, ....

On the contrary. They are "99 % verifiable to some degree". Names, dates, events, etc... will all be true. All good treasure legends are built around true/real names/dates/events. The "gotcha" is: That dastardly 1% of the formula: "Is there a treasure ?". If that 1% isn't true, then .......... what good does it do that the other 99% is true ? Nothing at all :(

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is where the devil is in the details. I assume, that by the "research" you allude to, is to ascertain the validity and truthfulness of the various components of the story. Eg.: Names of actual persons that .... yes did exist, and yes did live there, etc... Right ? Names and dates of battles or bank-robberies, etc.... Right ? Factual-ness of persons who said they saw such & such, and therefore suspect such & such, etc.... Right ?

And for every-single-one of the treasure legends: YES ! You can fill volumes full of "facts that line up". Eg.: Names, dates, events, probable conspiracy motives, "uncanny squiggles on rocks", fuel capacity of ships, fibers, etc....

None of the legends ever starts with: "Once upon a time". And so your "research" would be a success. Right ? The treasure legend crowd can announce "true", eh ?

But this fails to take into account that ALL treasure legends are based on facts. Eg.: Names, dates, events. Around which is spun a treasure story. So let's say that your "research" shows that 99% of the story is "true". Ok, but if the 1% (about the treasure) isn't true, then what good does the 99% true do ?
Cliffsnotes version. ---- Tom in Ca. (aka Sheldon) says there's no such thing as a treasure legend, there are no caches, the Spanish buried nothing EVER! So don't even bother.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is where the devil is in the details. I assume, that by the "research" you allude to, is to ascertain the validity and truthfulness of the various components of the story. Eg.: Names of actual persons that .... yes did exist, and yes did live there, etc... Right ? Names and dates of battles or bank-robberies, etc.... Right ? Factual-ness of persons who said they saw such & such, and therefore suspect such & such, etc.... Right ?

And for every-single-one of the treasure legends: YES ! You can fill volumes full of "facts that line up". Eg.: Names, dates, events, probable conspiracy motives, "uncanny squiggles on rocks", fuel capacity of ships, fibers, etc....

None of the legends ever starts with: "Once upon a time". And so your "research" would be a success. Right ? The treasure legend crowd can announce "true", eh ?

But this fails to take into account that ALL treasure legends are based on facts. Eg.: Names, dates, events. Around which is spun a treasure story. So let's say that your "research" shows that 99% of the story is "true". Ok, but if the 1% (about the treasure) isn't true, then what good does the 99% true do ?

Tom there isn't all that much to doing this sort of thing, taking the legends and turning it into books. All leads from the past can be traced back in time. Imagine a series of books selling over the years and receiving monthly royalities! Profit without leaving the house. The tourist locations are very interested in local history and Old West which I combine into the stories, to sell to those passing thru. I am more than willing to share my 60/40 with them.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Cliffsnotes version. ---- Tom in Ca. (aka Sheldon) says there's no such thing as a treasure legend, there are no caches, the Spanish buried nothing EVER! So don't even bother.

haha. Can't have any middle ground, eh ? To show any shadow of doubt on the "trend", is to say "therefore: No goodies ever exist". Right ? :tongue3:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... and receiving monthly royalities! Profit without leaving the house. The tourist locations are very interested in local history and Old West which I combine into the stories, to sell to those passing thru.....

Yes. There is no doubt that the lure-of-treasure (and accompanying stories) is intoxicating. The "lost mine" and "stolen stagecoach loot" stories sold many many TH'ing and Western-lore magazines of the 1960s & '70s.

As for "all leads can be traced back in time", I assume you mean the facts surrounding your stories, right ? And as I said: I have no doubt that every treasure legend is built around real names, dates, and events. Eg.: 99% true. It's that 1% (whether or not there was ever any treasure) that gets ya every time though :icon_scratch:

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes. There is no doubt that the lure-of-treasure (and accompanying stories) is intoxicating. The "lost mine" and "stolen stagecoach loot" stories sold many many TH'ing and Western-lore magazines of the 1960s & '70s.

As for "all leads can be traced back in time", I assume you mean the facts surrounding your stories, right ? And as I said: I have no doubt that every treasure legend is built around real names, dates, and events. Eg.: 99% true. It's that 1% (whether or not there was ever any treasure) that gets ya every time though :icon_scratch:

You need to let go of the having to find the treasure idea. Just the thoughts of lost treasure sold metal detectors, books, magazines and now tv and YouTube are big. Some market the dream.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Anyone else see the inherent contradiction here ? :

You need to let go of the having to find the treasure idea....

VS

.... Just the thoughts of lost treasure sold metal detectors....

..... Some market the dream.
Sure. The dream of WHAT ? Treasure, of course. The very thing you started off saying to "let go of".

But on the other hand: You do acknowledge that they're "just stories". So my hat's off to you for that.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My ex wife ran off some time ago with my ex best friend, but she was No Treasure and I'm not searching. Lol (just a bad joke).

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My ex wife ran off some time ago with my ex best friend, but she was No Treasure and I'm not searching. Lol (just a bad joke).

Reminds me of the joke: A guy gets pulled over for speeding and the cop tells him he'll let him off if he has the best story of the day for why he was speeding. The guy says his wife ran off with a Highway Patrolman, and he thought the cop was bringing her back.
He didn't get the ticket.
Jim

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's all I look for, but after finding three of them in Mexico, I have yet to make a peso, Tayopa, Gloria Pan, and The lost Spaniard gold mine during the Juarez rev time, but it has been fun and rough. I spent months aboard a mule, sometimes not meeting another human for weeks, at times I found myself talking to my mule. Other times I found myself on top of a lonely mesa with a small fire, breathing the delicious pine scented air, which hinted of frost by morning , but I have a wonderful bank of memories, if not money. Would I do it again ? YOU BET !!! ask Tom

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread