Who are the people here that hunt the legendary lost treasures?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cause they look at the bottom of the pit. It is on the island, not very deep, in undisturbed ground.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
true Tom, for every true story there are many made of wisps of remembered, or imagined stories.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Tom believes then he must have held the treasure in his hands!
Tom doesn't give credit to ANYTHING claimed here, so I'm intrigued.

Is there a link or book that describes the search for these three lost treasures that were found?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
If Tom believes then he must have held the treasure in his hands!
Tom doesn't give credit to ANYTHING claimed here...

No. Just the ghost-story camp-fire legend caliber ones :)

And you can ask Real of Tayopa: I've never held the couple of caches he's found, in my hands. Yet didn't think for a minute that "they didn't exist" :tongue3:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. Just the ghost-story camp-fire legend caliber ones :)

And you can ask Real of Tayopa: I've never held the couple of caches he's found, in my hands. Yet didn't think for a minute that "they didn't exist" :tongue3:

Must be some back story that predates my time.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, the only good caches that I have found are 7 mule loads of silver pesos, my share was one mule load. It was from a robbery.The ones that I mentioned were lost mines, the mining co are not lined up panting, they are hard!! Tayopa is destined as a patrimony of Mexico, the other two I am negotiating on. In other words except for the mule load of silver coins, and even there they are only 75 - 80 % silver, I am not rich so you have to like the adventure and knowing that you have figured out the puzzle that no one else has. Tayopa is without a doubt the Queen of lost mines, they have been looking for her for over 400 years, but I will be reduced to the finder of part of Mexico's / Jesuit's history. Incidentally the real reason they were expelled from North America was that they were starting to forment a reveloution to take North America (Mexico included) away from Spain This the king of Spain could not stand, so he expelled them, but for political reasons he let the world know that it was for illegal mining More if you wish.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a book in the works or already written?

I'd love to read it and see pictures of the area including the mines.
Half ton of silver coins would be interesting to see as well.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Take that as a no.

He has posted pix and stories of his exploits in the past. If you did search under his forum pen-name. As I recall, it was in the 1960s when he was younger, south of El Paso, in that part of Mexico.

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Legendary treasures are elusive beasts by nature. I love all the treasure yarns and treasure books as good read for entertainment value and a starting point to search for facts only. Which can be fun and enjoying to do so? But there would be only a very few I would my put money and time into. The reality is perhaps 98-99% turn out to be just stories after real research not reading treasure hunting books, but archival records that can prove the alleged treasure existed in first place? Most treasure stories turn out to be just stories that evolve from one reason or another other time.

However there are the odd ones on occasion that defies the odds.

Ironic is it not even with best research there is no guarantees? One can devote an entire lifetime to a project and have nothing to show for it? Others can be at the right place at the right time and bang dame fortune shines on them.

Such as the lucky finder below illustrates most discoveries are by chance. At best researching into treasure legends can do is lower the odds a little.

champagne_lanson_coins.jpg

Kanacki

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to treasurenet !!
I assume that those who are looking for the really great lost treasures (like Peter the Great's "Amber Room") are doing so very quietly, unless they are soliciting for funds to carry out their project.
Don....

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Don

The World has changed once upon a time people was willing to speculate on such projects. Today money for such projects are scarce. Those who have money for such projects are unwilling as their involvement can have repercussions from the Loony left in Other business interests.

Media and cheap produced reality TV programs and ill conceived projects and political correct brigade have not helped either in image of treasure hunting is seen to be a grubby affair these days.

So in effect many projects that can afford to do so try to fly under the radar. Because there is no value in media involvement. However that said dealing with governments with elected officials who are skittish about public opinion does not help either.

Kanacki

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My friend, Kanacki,
Good to see you and Don Jose visiting this site. Your comments are always of interest to me.
In response to the OP's question, in my opinion, those today who may be searching for 'legendary lost treasures' are flying under the radar unless they are soliciting funds for the project. Not wishing to awaken or alert the competition is one reason. Avoiding the early initiation of irritating lawsuits from conflicting interests --like insurance companies--is another.
Restrictive new laws and 'adverse' legal decisions is another reason fewer are involved today. And, of course, the cost to mount such expeditions today now requires a substantial increase in the capital requirement.
Don......

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my favorite, when it comes to discussion of "big ticket treasures" (and the oft-times unconventional methods that seem to go hand-in-hand with finding them) : When you press the believers/advocates for examples (proofs), then .... it's like here: The suggestion (albeit veiled) that big-ticket treasures are being found. But ... lo & behold : They don't show or tell anyone. Because they're afraid that the I.R.S. might come to claim taxes.

Another variation on this is: They're afraid that thieves might target their house. Right ?

But oddly: There is always accounts, made public , of treasures found. Even here on T'net, some mighty nice stuff (even caches) makes it's way on to our show & tell "Today's find" section (yes, even caches sometimes). Did any of them ever have the IRS come knocking on their door ? Were any of them the target of thieves ? And bigger ones found, for example, in the news, by const. workers. Or by someone walking their dog. Or by some dude named Mel Fisher, etc.... Doesn't seem to have stopped them from claiming their well-deserved bragging rights.

Tom, if you've never sought big treasures, you don't know how dangerous it is. I have, and I assure you that it's not for the weak and timid. There are many wealthy "treasure hunters" out there who hire people to "fish" for information (about large treasure caches) on treasure forums like this. Sometimes they pretend to be naysayers and doubters in order for those of us who have knowledge of big treasure locations to try to prove the truth of what we've said, thereby giving them more information with which to steal the treasures we've often spent years researching and doing field work on. Have you ever heard the old saying "Silence is Golden"? It's never been truer than when applied to big-time treasure hunting. I have friends who have found and recovered some pretty big treasures and some of them have learned this lesson the hard way - they talked too much. Now they regret telling anyone about their finds.
I have a suggestion for you and all the other doubters - actually locate a legendary treasure or its approximate location. Tell someone about it on here and watch how fast your problems materialize.
~Texas Jay

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
if I have it correctly; Asimov in Siri Lanka would not happen today

Bill

edit: and I would add the independent researchers who found a home
not a criticism, just an observation

2ed edit: even the discussion of failures, as entertaining as they may be, could/will provide a lead to a collector of data.
I enjoy laughing at my finely honed idiocy, but that is a no-no also. got to keep it within yourself.

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have the opportunity to look for a buried Coffee can with some coins and trinkets in it from the 1930's. A man now deceased buried the can in the back yard where he lived as a child, and told his son about it years later. The home has changed hands numerous time since then, and the son (knowing I metal detect) told me the story. I told him if he can get me permission (the home is now gone and the lot is owned by the bank) then I would happily look for his dad's long lost treasure ! That's it for local lore in my town ! But what a thrill it would be to get him that can back that his dad buried so long ago.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom, if you've never sought big treasures, you don't know how dangerous it is. I have, and I assure you that it's not for the weak and timid. There are many wealthy "treasure hunters" out there who hire people to "fish" for information (about large treasure caches) on treasure forums like this. Sometimes they pretend to be naysayers and doubters in order for those of us who have knowledge of big treasure locations to try to prove the truth of what we've said, thereby giving them more information with which to steal the treasures we've often spent years researching and doing field work on. Have you ever heard the old saying "Silence is Golden"? It's never been truer than when applied to big-time treasure hunting. I have friends who have found and recovered some pretty big treasures and some of them have learned this lesson the hard way - they talked too much. Now they regret telling anyone about their finds.
I have a suggestion for you and all the other doubters - actually locate a legendary treasure or its approximate location. Tell someone about it on here and watch how fast your problems materialize.
~Texas Jay

Texas Jay, thanx for chiming in. Everything you've said here seems to boil down to :

1) To imply that people are indeed searching for the "legend-class-treasures". But they do so in secret. So you don't see them chiming in here.

2) And that they're shadowy mysterious very-wealthy persons. Who hire minions to do their research and hunting.

3) And orchestrate conspiracies to weasel information out of those unsuspecting people who do, in fact, have information on locations.

Sorry, but I don't buy into conspiracy theory stuff like this.

And I don't doubt that if someone came on here with some purported "secret clue inside information", that yes: Sure , others (the "competition" that you speak of) will be all over it. With prodding for info, field reconn's to sites, etc.... But that's not proving or showing the validity of treasure legends in the slightest ! All that is doing is showing that a bunch of people take-stock in treasure stories. It doesn't show whether there's any truth in them, or not. It just shows the wild-eyed shared enthusiasm of belief in the legends.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Tom
''orchestrate conspiracies to weasel information" sounds like a government indictment
may I rephrase?: listen to what blabber mouths say, the prompting is not relevant
I am guessing you have heard about the suspected burial of Atilla being found?
perhaps it is the definition of treasure that is elusive?
Texas Jay is quite correct, and obviously you have not moved in that realm (and it is a bit different)
its ok to just let it be

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions